Sponsored

Since the price of fuel has gone up so much... how to prevent boost on a Ecoboost?

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD 18" rims Cactus Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How would you prevent boost on a Ecoboost? I know your foot determines that, but, I'm looking for a easy way to prevent boost and the drop in mileage. Is there a way to program eco mode to limit the throttle control based on feedback from a boost sensor? Does the ecoboost have a MAP sensor after the turbo that could be use to limit the throttle? MAP sensor on Maverick
Sponsored

Last edited:

SolidWrecks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SolidWrecks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Lariat Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My focus ST had an eco tune from Cobb that I could switch to that only allowed like 6psi of boost. One thing to note is that in some cases, it's more efficient to get to cruising speed quicker than slower. I'm not an expert on this engine but you may actually be most efficient with a couple to a few psi as it will effectively up your compression which increases efficiency up till the cost of that gets too high.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you didn't want boost, you should have selected the other engine option. That's just the reality of it, unfortunately.

What you can do is set it to ECO mode after each drive and drive conservatively and defensively. Don't be a menace to others on the road by being ridiculous, though.

Also, you may want to run some calculations. People often freak out over gas prices, but when the numbers are really calculated you might be surprised to find it is not a significant difference.

For example, let's say you drive 15,000 miles a year. On year one, you get 25mpg and gas is $3.50 per gallon. Year two, you still get 25mpg and gas is $5.00 a gallon. Year three gas is still $5.00 a gallon, but you bump your average 30mpg:

Year 1: 15,000/25 = 600 gallons x $3.50 = $2,100
Year 2: 15,000/25 = 600 gallons x $5.00 = $3,000
Year 3: 15,000/30 = 500 gallons x $5.00 = $2,500

You see, none of these numbers are all that different, especially spread out over a year. The biggest difference, $900 or $75/mo, is probably not enough to worry over too much - and if it is, a new car probably was not a wise investment. Just 100% honest.

OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If it's just a program change, it's too easy not to peruse. I'm just asking the question for those more knowledgeable. The ecoboost is the only engine unless you want a hybrid, I didn't. Pumps are being reset to register up to $10.00 a gallon. Honestly, I didn't need the judgement from you on what I should have bought. There's no data on the mileage with zero boost available, or limit it to 3 or 4 lbs. You ALWAYS want more! I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Last edited:

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My focus ST had an eco tune from Cobb that I could switch to that only allowed like 6psi of boost. One thing to note is that in some cases, it's more efficient to get to cruising speed quicker than slower. I'm not an expert on this engine but you may actually be most efficient with a couple to a few psi as it will effectively up your compression which increases efficiency up till the cost of that gets too high.
too bad Cobb got cucked by the EPA. you can find a lot of there units all over for dirt cheap lol

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If it's just a program change, it's too easy not to peruse. I'm just asking the question for those more knowledgeable. The ecoboost is the only engine unless you want a hybrid, I didn't. Pumps are being reset to register up to $10.00 a gallon. Honestly, I didn't need the judgement from you on what I should have bought. There's no data on the mileage with zero boost available, or limit it to 3 or 4 lbs. You ALWAYS want more! I'm just throwing ideas out there.
You're not asking questions for "those more knowledgeable", you're fantasizing about some alternate reality. You didn't want the NA hybrid, and now you don't want the boost provided by the forced-induction engine.

There's no data on mileage with zero boost because that's a stupid data point to test when the truck is equipped and engineered with a turbo engine. There's no data point on running the car with water instead of oil, either. Or filling the tires with mud instead of air.

My initial reply was meant to put things into perspective, but clearly you are not looking for any realistic responses. Good luck.

OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You didn't offer an answer, but thanks for the effort.
I'm suggesting to Ford to make a option in Eco mode to make the boost reduction an adjustable option, you can switch to sport or normal mode to go back to full boost. Just like bios on a computer, it may be something they can do, maybe not. It's just a idea.

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The ecoboost has a "happy place" where it runs at it's most efficiency. It's a combination of boost, rpm, af ratio, load,etc. If you start playing with one you'll mess up the rest. Less boost will only make the engine lug to try and do it's job which will hurt fuel economy every bit as much as a lot of boost and high rpm.
As others mentioned, your greatest aids in maxing your fuel mileage is using ECO mode and your right foot.

OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Since there is NO boost gauge, I have no idea when, on the gas, it enters boost other than the seat of the pants feel. My thinking, the engine wouldn't lug any more that being lightly on the gas.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You're not asking questions for "those more knowledgeable", you're fantasizing about some alternate reality. You didn't want the NA hybrid, and now you don't want the boost provided by the forced-induction engine.

There's no data on mileage with zero boost because that's a stupid data point to test when the truck is equipped and engineered with a turbo engine. There's no data point on running the car with water instead of oil, either. Or filling the tires with mud instead of air.

My initial reply was meant to put things into perspective, but clearly you are not looking for any realistic responses. Good luck.
Depends on what one wants or expects from the boost. I wanted hybrid and that's what I have. If I had an echo boost I would want and expect to be able to drive in a non boost (call it "normal" mode). If I have a trailer or have an insane urge to need or want more power (call it "abnormal" mode) then I would prefer a "boost it" button to temporarily get more power. 😇

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on what one wants or expects from the boost. I wanted hybrid and that's what I have. If I had an echo boost I would want and expect to be able to drive in a non boost (call it "normal" mode). If I have a trailer or have an insane urge to need or want more power (call it "abnormal" mode) then I would prefer a "boost it" button to temporarily get more power. 😇
On Hyundai/Kia cars with turbo 4s, eco mode seems to cause the car to dump almost all boost. It does not seem to work that way on the Maverick.

OP
OP
Charlie Daubitz

Charlie Daubitz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Being able to personalize it for your preference could be a selling point also. This is my total mileage. It's a combination of 2800 miles to Florida and back and city driving. I love the turbo, I love the performance of the Maverick, I have a heavy FOOT, I wished in eco mode my, " heavy foot" was limited more.

Ford Maverick Since the price of fuel has gone up so much... how to prevent boost on a Ecoboost? 20220527_085351

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The EB's are capable of great efficiency when driven smartly. The biggest hindrance to doing this with the Mav is lack of select-shift. Gear control is a BIG aid for getting maximum FE from an ecoboost engine. All you can do is try to keep rpm's in the 1800-2200 range with moderate throttle. Avoid >50% throttle application when possible, and practice smooth dynamic inputs, and you'll be surprised how well it will do. 93 octane gas also helps, but the FE increase does not offset the additional cost.
Sponsored