Sponsored

Side curtain air bags recall done but doesn't look like they put it back together correctly

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick; 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what's the exact issue? The air bags don't cover the required area by a millimeter or two?

I have the recall and am wondering if there are any ramifications for not doing it? Could the insurance company not cover an accident, because I knowingly ignored a safety recall? I wouldn't put that past an insurance company.
Sponsored

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thatā€™s my understanding too.
But: If the side air curtains did not work AT ALL, I still would not do it.
A) For years we drove around without side air curtains
And more importantly
B) If you get T-Boned bad enough to open those curtains, it likely would be Waterloo for you anyway. If not, you might wish it was

In any event, if I was held at gunpoint to have it done, Iā€™d tell them to shoot.
Ainā€™t gonna happen!!
Your point A is a non-issue. For years we drove around without seat belts, side-impact beams, front airbags, crumple zones, and anti-lock breaks and survived. Doesn't mean we should be ok without them now.

Your point B seems dubious. It sounds like you're suggesting they're not helpful and possibly more hurtful than helpful. Why create & require them if that's true? You know car companies would rather not put them in.

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Worst case scenario: You have an accident and someone dies, because their head hit the pillar instead of the airbag.

Will you still be thrilled you didn't get the recall, just so the inside of your truck didn't get dirty or dinged up? I realize this worst case scenario will never happen for 99.9% of us, but what if you're that one?

Next worst case scenario: You're in an accident, the side airbag doesn't work right, and you or someone you love is seriously injured because of it.

Same question as above. This scenario is much more likely.

None of us has a crystal ball, so we make the best decisions we can based on what we know. I'm getting mine fixed! Lord willing, I'll never have an accident! What's more important? Having a clean and ding-free interior (for now) or the safest vehicle you can?

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your point A is a non-issue. For years we drove around without seat belts, side-impact beams, front airbags, crumple zones, and anti-lock breaks and survived. Doesn't mean we should be ok without them now.

Your point B seems dubious. It sounds like you're suggesting they're not helpful and possibly more hurtful than helpful. Why create & require them if that's true? You know car companies would rather not put them in.
I respect your opinions, and generally speaking, I agree with your thoughts regarding issue A). Regarding issue B)- you misinterpreted what I meant, but thatā€™s O.K..
In ANY event, I guarantee you Iā€™m not having it done. Iā€™ll risk the shrapnel in my head before Iā€™ll agree to this recall.
Again, I respect your opinions, and I respect whatever choice you make. Please do the same for me.
Thanks

Last edited:

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worst case scenario: You have an accident and someone dies, because their head hit the pillar instead of the airbag.

Will you still be thrilled you didn't get the recall, just so the inside of your truck didn't get dirty or dinged up? I realize this worst case scenario will never happen for 99.9% of us, but what if you're that one?

Next worst case scenario: You're in an accident, the side airbag doesn't work right, and you or someone you love is seriously injured because of it.

Same question as above. This scenario is much more likely.

None of us has a crystal ball, so we make the best decisions we can based on what we know. I'm getting mine fixed! Lord willing, I'll never have an accident! What's more important? Having a clean and ding-free interior (for now) or the safest vehicle you can?
Iā€™ll take the chance. I also ride in planes, on motorcycles and sometimes in other peopleā€™s cars. I wear my seatbelt, whether they do or not. Iā€™ve never asked them if they have side air curtains, and I donā€™t anticipate doing so.
FYI: Iā€™ve had the truck for 16 months. In that time, Iā€™ve had passengers twice.
You get yours fixed.
Iā€™ll take the chance of losing a loved one whoā€™s head hits the pillar instead of the airbag.
Who knows?ā€¦. Maybe that will happen, youā€™ll be proven correct
(Maybe important to you/not me) and then you can even say:
ā€œI warned him and he didnā€™t listen!ā€
By the way, if you need a lift, please let me know. šŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Sponsored

ClemsonU88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Iā€™ll take the chance. I also ride in planes, on motorcycles and sometimes in other peopleā€™s cars. I wear my seatbelt, whether they do or not. Iā€™ve never asked them if they have side air curtains, and I donā€™t anticipate doing so.
FYI: Iā€™ve had the truck for 16 months. In that time, Iā€™ve had passengers twice.
You get yours fixed.
Iā€™ll take the chance of losing a loved one whoā€™s head hits the pillar instead of the airbag.
Who knows?ā€¦. Maybe that will happen, youā€™ll be proven correct
(Maybe important to you/not me) and then you can even say:
ā€œI warned him and he didnā€™t listen!ā€
By the way, if you need a lift, please let me know. šŸ˜€šŸ˜€
If I need a lift I will absolutely accept a ride. I'd accept a ride in a '65 Ford Falcon without seat belts or airbags if necessary. :)

My comments may have come across harsher than intended. I'm sorry if they did. My main point was "What's more important?" But I definitely understand your position.

Fwiw, I'd never say, "I warned him and he didn't listen!" I'd say, "That idiot!! I warned him and he didn't listen!" :) J/k.

I just made an appointment to get mine done on June 9th. I'll be "that" customer and make sure they know I expect it to look as good when I pick it up as it did when I brought it in. I'll update this post afterwards.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I need a lift I will absolutely accept a ride. I'd accept a ride in a '65 Ford Falcon without seat belts or airbags if necessary. :)

My comments may have come across harsher than intended. I'm sorry if they did. My main point was "What's more important?" But I definitely understand your position.

Fwiw, I'd never say, "I warned him and he didn't listen!" I'd say, "That idiot!! I warned him and he didn't listen!" :) J/k.
Great response.
You ā€œgotā€ it!
šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€šŸ˜€

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I just made an appointment to get mine done on June 9th. I'll be "that" customer and make sure they know I expect it to look as good when I pick it up as it did when I brought it in. I'll update this post afterwards.
Good luck- It really seems to be luck of the draw on what tech you get the day of your service- My dealer had done 4 or 5 airbag swaps prior to mine and I had pretty good luck with them before hand but then the shop foreman took a promotion elsewhere and I ended up with oil finger Timmy- I had the usual list of issues after the service- If you could, you might try and clarify who is doing the actual work for you and see if u can get a pre-game chat with him ?

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good luck- It really seems to be luck of the draw on what tech you get the day of your service- My dealer had done 4 or 5 airbag swaps prior to mine and I had pretty good luck with them before hand but then the shop foreman took a promotion elsewhere and I ended up with oil finger Timmy- I had the usual list of issues after the service- If you could, you might try and clarify who is doing the actual work for you and see if u can get a pre-game chat with him ?
Or a pre-game 50

OP
OP

Takehold67

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Andrew, Rodney,
Hopefully yours is getting taken care of. Mine's back in the dealer-though I had to think hard about turning it back over. After their initial offer to detail the interior-which I refused since if there's solvent in addition to the grease it will continue to degrade fabric-the GM came out and wholeheartedly agreed that the headliner, a pillars, passenger front seat belt (also bunged up, won't retract or adjust), and the fabric shroud for the tilt wheel will all be replaced. Currently in a loaner Edge. Told the dealer no offense, but save the removed parts under the trust but verify policy...We'll see what happens. Was told they had high school interns floating between jobs to help out and they didn't wash their hands. Made the observation that the shop rates didn't justify interns, and that even so the lead tech should've inspected work and never turned it back like that.
Mine is still at dealer.9 weeks now still not worthy of me taking possession. Just looks like excuse SHIT. Loose not what it was when I dropped my truck off.still new.
Plus new scratches have appeared

Sponsored

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Mine is still at dealer.9 weeks now still not worthy of me taking possession. Just looks like excuse SHIT. Loose not what it was when I dropped my truck off.still new.
Thatā€™s TERRIBLE!! My heart bleeds for you

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So what's the exact issue? The air bags don't cover the required area by a millimeter or two?
Incorrect, it's not that the airbag is dimensionally too large or "deploy too much" or whatever (I've seen multiple people claim this so I don't know where it's circulating). The FMVSS 226 standard test involves deploying the side airbag and a simulated headshape strikes it in 4 target locations with a specified amount of force. The amount by which the impactor deflects past the plane of where the window would be is measured. As tested the in production Maverick airbags exceeded the standard's allowed amount of deflection.

For some idea of what the test looks like:

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh boy. I just dropped my Maverick off at the dealer this morning to get mine done. Had I seen this thread before now, I might not have bothered. :oops:
Fortunately they completed it without any damage to the interior that I can find. The only change I noticed is the intermittent dash rattle I had is now louder but I'm not sure if that's just coincidence. I also had them do the software update for the grabby hybrid brakes at low speed. I was skeptical it would work but happy to find that it did.

JohnL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt awd, 10 stang gt, 04 merc marauder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Ouch. Have you tried getting a Ford Zone Rep involved?
They're waiting on one more part to finish mine up, then detail it. They've saved all the removed parts plus have the new part invoices so I can verify actual replacement. Also going to detail it when done, so fingers crossed. Stopped by after dealership closed a couple times to verify it's being stored indoors and it's in an individual bay. Hopefully all comes together good. Dealer GM was livid with service when he saw it, hopefully helps the next guy down the line since mine was th first recall they did-also first and only maverick through the dealership. Wasn't completely reassured when service mgr said "I didn't know we were making these, what is it?". Still got their new Edge awd as a loaner, so at least putting road miles on their truck instead of mine, and have my F350 if I need a truck...

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ouch. Have you tried getting a Ford Zone Rep involved?
They're waiting on one more part to finish mine up, then detail it. They've saved all the removed parts plus have the new part invoices so I can verify actual replacement. Also going to detail it when done, so fingers crossed. Stopped by after dealership closed a couple times to verify it's being stored indoors and it's in an individual bay. Hopefully all comes together good. Dealer GM was livid with service when he saw it, hopefully helps the next guy down the line since mine was th first recall they did-also first and only maverick through the dealership. Wasn't completely reassured when service mgr said "I didn't know we were making these, what is it?". Still got their new Edge awd as a loaner, so at least putting road miles on their truck instead of mine, and have my F350 if I need a truck...
Unnnnnnbelievable!
Sponsored