Sponsored

Side curtain air bags recall done but doesn't look like they put it back together correctly

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There’s NOOOOOOOOO way I’m having this done!
Way too many people have had issues.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Takehold67

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got my airbag recall done. I assume they have to drop the headliner and pull the a pillar trim to do it? Both are covered with smears of grease all over. Pretty damn disappointed with the care taken. Looks like dealer's going to be ordering a new headliner and pillars. Footprints all over door sills front and rear, and spot on driver's seat cushion. Rice Ford in Warsaw IN. FIrst mav they've worked on. If anyone has the full repair procedure for the recall, I'd sure like to read it.
Yes same here. They also broke my passenger seatbelt eight weeks in now
Plus put a nice scratch in my dash.
O.C. Welch ford in Hardeeville SC

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Hillbilly

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless I'm mistaken it was a few millimeters of coverage that determined the recall. Not gonna do it. Nope. Not gonna happen. No one assembles a vehicle like the factory. Besides, how do you know they don't let the car wash kid 'give it a go'

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Unless I'm mistaken it was a few millimeters of coverage that determined the recall. Not gonna do it. Nope. Not gonna happen. No one assembles a vehicle like the factory. Besides, how do you know they don't let the car wash kid 'give it a go'
In my case, I'm not even sure he had that many qualifications.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
luckily mine does not have this recall but if it did I would not have it done just based on the facts that it looks like the majority that have posted about having theirs done, its a nightmare of scratches, grease/dirty prints on headliner, headliner drooping, etc. It's not like it's a non functioning safety factor, it's like a milometer out of spec or something like that

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My fairly large dealer is down to a couple of ASE mechanics and a bunch of helpers. Considering the labor charges, they obviously need to pay their mechanics better, but service is the dealership cash cow.

Azmig88

2.0L EcoBoost
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick 2.0 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
luckily mine does not have this recall but if it did I would not have it done just based on the facts that it looks like the majority that have posted about having theirs done, its a nightmare of scratches, grease/dirty prints on headliner, headliner drooping, etc. It's not like it's a non functioning safety factor, it's like a milometer out of spec or something like that
That’s my understanding too.
But: If the side air curtains did not work AT ALL, I still would not do it.
A) For years we drove around without side air curtains
And more importantly
B) If you get T-Boned bad enough to open those curtains, it likely would be Waterloo for you anyway. If not, you might wish it was

In any event, if I was held at gunpoint to have it done, I’d tell them to shoot.
Ain’t gonna happen!!

Sponsored

inthecabin

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow fortunately ours was built a week after the recall was issued..

JohnL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt awd, 10 stang gt, 04 merc marauder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Read about the small margin for the out of spec and debated not doing it-should've listened to my gut. Precisely why I try to do all my own maintenance and a good bit of work still on my vehicles. Interior of my 97 f350 still looks like new, despite two boys, tons of camping/off roading, and various job sites. Ford still makes great vehicles, but their dealer network's going to be the death of them. Used to be you could get a zone rep on them and straighten it out quickly, now they just tell me they're all franchises essentially, and Ford has no control over things. Anyone know if the '23 headliner and/or weatherstrip has been redesigned to fit over the revised airbags? Still love the truck though.

JohnL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick xlt awd, 10 stang gt, 04 merc marauder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Andrew, Rodney,
Hopefully yours is getting taken care of. Mine's back in the dealer-though I had to think hard about turning it back over. After their initial offer to detail the interior-which I refused since if there's solvent in addition to the grease it will continue to degrade fabric-the GM came out and wholeheartedly agreed that the headliner, a pillars, passenger front seat belt (also bunged up, won't retract or adjust), and the fabric shroud for the tilt wheel will all be replaced. Currently in a loaner Edge. Told the dealer no offense, but save the removed parts under the trust but verify policy...We'll see what happens. Was told they had high school interns floating between jobs to help out and they didn't wash their hands. Made the observation that the shop rates didn't justify interns, and that even so the lead tech should've inspected work and never turned it back like that.

Had my recall for my side curtain airbags done. But it does not look like they put it back together correctly. Has anyone she had this issue? Just looks messy.
Sure did. They had drivers side not correct and then forced the sliding trim piece into buckle denting it and turned the plastic white where it was stressed. They replaced that trim piece FOC.

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Oh boy. I just dropped my Maverick off at the dealer this morning to get mine done. Had I seen this thread before now, I might not have bothered. :oops:

AlzMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey 2013
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Chapman Philly held my XLT for almost 2 months for the airbag recall. When I went to pick up the truck the sales guy gave me the sales pitch as to how he has checked everything and everything is ready to go. I sit in the truck to inspect. There are dirty hand prints on all corners of the roof fabric. The right side pillar plastic was not put back right. It was showing a gap between roof fabric and plastic molding. I complained and sales guy sent the "supposedly all checked" truck back to service area. I ended up staying at the dealership for 5hours. Not to mention they couldn't find my second key. So all in all its a safety thing so I will recommend that everyone gets it done. Don't want shrapnel implanted in my skull ....
But do tell the service team to use clean hands when changing and ensure that they put all the plastic parts back properly
Sponsored