Side by side Maverick-Santa Cruz

Guv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
Undecided
At first I was considering a SC but am very happy with my Maverick. I especially prefer the looks!

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like them both, and I could literally flip a coin and take either (for now my Maverick is fine). I'm watching the SC space to see if they release a version like the excellent Tucson hybrid (same platform as the SC), or maybe a BEV variant.

I think Hyundai offers a blackout grille these days. Just finished watching a nice Motormouth video on the Tucson AWD hybrid yesterday. With the 2024 model year announcements coming soon, I'm wondering if Hyundai will beat Ford to the AWD hybrid trucklet? Competition is good for us all.

OneAlienBoi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are a few graphical details I like about the SC. I'm quite fond of the SC and Tuscon grille with enclosed headlights. It's clean, but expressive and creative. But overall, the SC is kinda a stylistical mess in. The proportions are off, and the lines are fussy/disjointed.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drove SC before ordering Mav and not impressed with looks, ride, etc. Love Mav

Sponsored

BluegrassNbass

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Clif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maverick looks better aesthetically.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A few neighbors have the SC. I see them when I walk the area. About the only thing I wish the Mav had that the SC has is the built in roll out cover for the bed. It would be nice not to have to add that $$ so locking stuff in the bed was built in. The gas mileage sucks in the SC and at the price point of the SC point I would get a Toyota Tacoma . At auto show they had a SC at 39K and a tacoma at 42.k. I would go Tacoma every time . BUT I dont have that kind of money and I do care about MPG. So Hybrid Mav for me.

Joe Mac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 F250 Super Duty
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The DCT transmission is junk in the turbo version

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The SC continues to fascinate me. The DCT comment above is accurate. TFL doesn't even take DCTs off road anymore because of overheating. The Hyundai DCTs were on a dry clutch, then went to a wet clutch. The above review mentions that the parent Tucson went to a conventional automatic, and I'm curious to see if the 2024 SC does the same.

The SC is a product where they just made different choices. There is an interview with a Hyundai VP where he mentions that they deliberately chose not to chase the truck market with the SC (see link below). I'm kind of puzzled that I'm getting marketing emails from Hyundai where they have deals on some of their products - and so far no deals on the SC. It suggests that they're selling them as fast as they want to?

Why am I going on at such length about the SC on a Maverick forum with a Maverick parked outside my window? Scratching my head even as I type this, but hopefully the information will help somebody else make a more informed buying decision.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The DCT transmission is junk in the turbo version
I was considering a kia Niro which has the Dual Clutch tranny . That is what kept me away from it. DCT are just not long lasting, Watched many youtube videos on it. High maintenance . Clunky shifts, jumpy at low speeds. I didn't know the SC had one but do now. Another reason to stay away from it.

Sponsored

Halo9x

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT 2023
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I like them both, and I could literally flip a coin and take either (for now my Maverick is fine). I'm watching the SC space to see if they release a version like the excellent Tucson hybrid (same platform as the SC), or maybe a BEV variant.

I think Hyundai offers a blackout grille these days. Just finished watching a nice Motormouth video on the Tucson AWD hybrid yesterday. With the 2024 model year announcements coming soon, I'm wondering if Hyundai will beat Ford to the AWD hybrid trucklet? Competition is good for us all.

I like the look of the SC but the Maverick is also a good looking truck. Both vehicles are in fact SUTs (Sport Utility Trucks) and both have advantages and disadvantages, so it’s just a matter of choice.

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I agree, like them both, if it weren't for my want/need of a hybrid, I'd have sprung for a SC. Good friend has one, he's laughed his ass off at me for a year, waiting for my truck to get scheduled. Who's laughing now, huh? :p See ya' when you get back from the gas station!

But this is the best comparison pic I've seen yet. May send it to him just to see what he says!

Grozk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz, Cayman, Mroadster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As with many internet-based information the trend is toward the outliers as most who have no issues tend not to post. I have one of each (not originally planned but it is what it is). There has been reported ~6% failure rate of the DCT made before June 22 but not so much since that date (other than what could be expected on a mass production).

Ive had my SC for one year problem-free (2.5T DCT).

robbyrob

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
acar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
opinion: the SC is a flash in the pan and will pass

Grozk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Santa Cruz, Cayman, Mroadster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maverick mileage is consistently better both city and hiway by 3-4 mpg. The SC mileage falls off considerably at speeds >75mph (to ~26-27mpg) whereas the Maverick holds at 31+ mpg at same speeds. Not sure how to reconcile this difference (SC seems a bit more aero and the larger displacement engine *should* be more efficient at steady state cruise). Likely gearing and perhaps the torque converter auto is more efficent once it is in lock up (verses clutched transmission).

They both handle well, but the Maverick is a bit lighter and therefore seems more playful (somewhere I read "mini Cooper"-like, which I agree to some extent). Once the SC takes a set it does corner well. Power is good from both-perhaps a bit more lag from the SC but it moves out once it spools up. The big plus from the SC is the paddle shift controls on the transmission-allows for downshifting and more control on declines, etc.

Bed advantage nods toward the Maverick (no cover on mine). It's more useable and has a lower lift in height but for most causal big box stuff both work well.

Interior quality is hands down SC. The Maverick does well with lesser quality materials and is more airy feeling. Seats are better in SC (I have a Lariat so it has power heated seats as well) as the form is more dense and supportive over the longer drives. As far as interior space, they are pretty equal-both front and rear. SC has split rear seats which gives option to have rear passenger (or car seat) and still have access to under seat.

Sound system in Maverick (B&O) is actually pretty good once broker in. The SEL limited SC is pretty weakly powered (I installed a kicker amp with DSP function which makes it MUCH better and equal to most up optioned systems offered by manufactures).

Appearance is an individual opinion but I agree that SC is a bit polarizing and would not be a "truck-lovers" choice.

Just a few observations from owning both for a number of months.
Sponsored