Sponsored

Should I accept the phone call from a number I don’t know?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well, I reluctantly accepted the call.

Glad I did.

My 2022 Maverick XL Hybrid is at the dealer waiting for me.
Now that I've hijacked your thread. DId you pick up your wheels yet?
Sponsored

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good one!

I do basically the same thing. Mine says, "due to the high volume of spam I receive, all calls are screened and I do not respond to any caller that does not leave a message."

I also run my own business so I need to be professional about it.
Yeah, I'm retired, which is amazingly freeing.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think owning a phone is a social contract. One must answer it or call back in a timely manner. Otherwise we lose a bit of civility. Sure robocalls and such abuse the contract but we dont have to stoop to their level.

Awesome you got your maverick by the way!
If it's a real person and it's important they should leave a voice-mail so you can then return their call

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I think owning a phone is a social contract. One must answer it or call back in a timely manner. Otherwise we lose a bit of civility. Sure robocalls and such abuse the contract but we dont have to stoop to their level.

Awesome you got your maverick by the way!
I've got a few extra extended warranties I would like to speak with you about.

Sponsored

Paulyz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.churchbelltoweradventure-suspense.com
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was getting the same recorded spam call every day, 3 times a day for months on end. A call would come in from what was obviously a busy call center, they would say something in english but nonsensical, then hang up. The only purpose to this particular scam is to validate that your number is active so they can sell it to more scammers. Then you get more calls. Eventually they stopped.

Why on earth would I answer?
You're lucky they stopped, we get constant junk calls over & over. Reported them many times but no luck. Some call 3 times a day.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do it to mess with them. I dont know alot of people change their phone numbers all the time. I have had the same phone number since 1999 and the same email since long before AOL mailed CDs out. I want my old freinds from high school to be able to get ahold of me if they kept my number.

I also like to take the opportunity to lead on telemarketers. They have a pretty sucky job and it breaks up the monotony for them.

When its a robo call it gives me an opportunity to make a joke to my wife or coworkers about my lack of anything worth an extended warranty.

My phone is a simple flip phone there is no need to look at it before answering it. I just pull it out and put it to my ear. I actually spend far less time on most spam calls than people listening to it ring or selecting to ignore it after reading the number. It is very much not hassle to me.

I get plenty but it just doesnt affect me really.
My brother and I have a contest going on to see how long we can keep them on the call and how many people we talk to :giggle:
He holds the record at 22 minutes and 3 people, my record is 18 only 2 telemarketers but #2 suddenly started yelling "YOU MF I FIng RECOGNIZE YOU POS ... $%×..."
If you join us let me know your personal best time (y)

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My brother and I have a contest going on to see how long we can keep them on the call and how many people we talk to :giggle:
He holds the record at 22 minutes and 3 people, my record is 18 only 2 telemarketers but #2 suddenly started yelling "YOU MF I FIng RECOGNIZE YOU POS ... $%×..."
If you join us let me know your personal best time (y)
Never really timed myself but, I have had em on there a while. I always try to get em talking about cars. Gotta have fun with the annoyances in life.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I own a locksmith business and I can't tell you how many times we arrive at a location like an apartment complex shopping center hotel hospital and try to call the customer to inform them that we're here and they need to come out only to have the calls go straight to voicemail. After sitting there 15 or 20 minutes finally we go to our next call and then usually in 30 to 45 minutes someone will call back and say hey I'm still waiting on a locksmith. I inform them that we called them six times and then they say drum roll please...... I have an app on my phone that declines any call from a number I don't know. Beyond frustrating.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I reluctantly accepted the call.

Glad I did.

My 2022 Maverick XL Hybrid is at the dealer waiting for me.
I don't answer any calls that I don't know.

If the call is important they can just leave a message and I will return it if it is legit.

Most of these calls only last less than 12 seconds with no message whatsoever. I add all such calls to my block call list like I am doing right now.

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
FYI: Here's how the robocallers make $, or at least pay the bills :mad:

Wall Street Journal
https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-robocallers-win-even-if-you-dont-answer-1528104600

"Caller ID is feeding one of the very problems it was developed to stop: junk calls.

Illegitimate robocallers, or outfits that flood American landlines with marketing calls, use the decades-old identification system to make money, even when no one picks up.

While scammers’ biggest paydays come from tricking victims into handing over credit card or bank account information, many robocallers make incremental cash along the way, thanks to little-known databases that try to identify who is calling.
Each time a caller’s name is displayed, phone companies pay small fees—typically fractions of pennies—to databases that store such records. Some of these fees are handed back to the caller.
With millions of automated calls a day, the amounts can add up. ..."
Sponsored