Sponsored

Should I accept the phone call from a number I don’t know?

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think owning a phone is a social contract. One must answer it or call back in a timely manner. Otherwise we lose a bit of civility. Sure robocalls and such abuse the contract but we dont have to stoop to their level.

Awesome you got your maverick by the way!

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think owning a phone is a social contract. One must answer it or call back in a timely manner. Otherwise we lose a bit of civility. Sure robocalls and such abuse the contract but we dont have to stoop to their level.

One caveat: If you don't leave a voicemail, you're either a robot or it wasn't that important for you to get in touch with me, so I'm not calling back.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

One caveat: If you don't leave a voicemail, you're either a robot or it wasn't that important for you to get in touch with me, so I'm not calling back.
Must not be a people person. That leads us into the civility issue, that ya gotta admit is rampant. If you have a phone and dont answer it, you are breaking a bond with everyone you ever gave the number to.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I never answer my phone. If it's important they'll know to leave a message. If I know them they just text me. If you answer the scammers log your number as good and sell that information to more scammers. Never EVER call them back - there is a scam where they reroute your call through long distance and charge you $75 or so in long distance charges.

Sponsored

Bamajim

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram1500. Ford Flex
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Must not be a people person. That leads us into the civility issue, that ya gotta admit is rampant. If you have a phone and dont answer it, you are breaking a bond with everyone you ever gave the number to.
Didn’t give mine to any robot callers

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sad, didnt know people were so afraid of their phones :ROFLMAO:

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Apparently you have been lucky enough not to get slammed with spam calls

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sad, didnt know people were so afraid of their phones :ROFLMAO:
I was getting the same recorded spam call every day, 3 times a day for months on end. A call would come in from what was obviously a busy call center, they would say something in english but nonsensical, then hang up. The only purpose to this particular scam is to validate that your number is active so they can sell it to more scammers. Then you get more calls. Eventually they stopped.

Why on earth would I answer?

NewBernWolf

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I stopped accepting calls from numbers that aren't in my contacts years ago. I have voice mail. My voice mail announcement says "Leave me a message, or send me a text. Otherwise, I assume you're just trying to sell me an extended warranty." Car salespeople can do that just like everybody else.

I feel strongly that my phone, like my front door, is there for my convenience, and I can use them when I want to.

LelandJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My voice mail announcement says "Leave me a message, or send me a text. Otherwise, I assume you're just trying to sell me an extended warranty." Car salespeople can do that just like everybody else.
Good one!

I do basically the same thing. Mine says, "due to the high volume of spam I receive, all calls are screened and I do not respond to any caller that does not leave a message."

I also run my own business so I need to be professional about it.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I was getting the same recorded spam call every day, 3 times a day for months on end. A call would come in from what was obviously a busy call center, they would say something in english but nonsensical, then hang up. The only purpose to this particular scam is to validate that your number is active so they can sell it to more scammers. Then you get more calls. Eventually they stopped.

Why on earth would I answer?
I do it to mess with them. I dont know alot of people change their phone numbers all the time. I have had the same phone number since 1999 and the same email since long before AOL mailed CDs out. I want my old freinds from high school to be able to get ahold of me if they kept my number.

I also like to take the opportunity to lead on telemarketers. They have a pretty sucky job and it breaks up the monotony for them.

When its a robo call it gives me an opportunity to make a joke to my wife or coworkers about my lack of anything worth an extended warranty.

My phone is a simple flip phone there is no need to look at it before answering it. I just pull it out and put it to my ear. I actually spend far less time on most spam calls than people listening to it ring or selecting to ignore it after reading the number. It is very much not hassle to me.

Apparently you have been lucky enough not to get slammed with spam calls
I get plenty but it just doesnt affect me really.
Sponsored