Sponsored

Should Ford cancel some of the new Hybrid orders?

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Ford wants to cancel my MY23 order I would accept a payment of $10,000 as that amount would cover the costs of the equity of $6,007 in my current MY22 Maverick XLT Hybrid and the cost of an aftermarket hitch + labor for installation + cost of having a vehicle one year older with one year less warranty coverage.

Ford Maverick Should Ford cancel some of the new Hybrid orders? Buyer's Order

Ford Maverick Should Ford cancel some of the new Hybrid orders? Carvana XLT Maverick Hybrid 11-01-22.JPG
Sponsored

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's hard to do. Can't go by timestamp alone as it punishes dealers who might not have been on the computer the exact moment it went live.

So how do you do it? Cancel half of every dealer's hybrid orders to be fair? How about the dealers who actually followed the allocations limits. Do you cancel any of theirs even though they followed the rules and only ordered what they were told?

Also, we don't know what constraints will be constraints in June or July. It is the hitch today, but for all we know Ford gets a massive shipment and then it becomes some other thing. Everyone dumping their hitch could lead to just a ton of exactly similar trucks to be built with only allocation randomness to determine who gets picked.

I understand the thrust if the question. I personally would rather know today it can't be built. I just don't think Ford can point to a single order today and say that one can't be built.... Yet.

Their only alternative is to just build as many as they can until they run out of time. Given how few EB orders there are, Ford might be able reallocate some production capacity to hybrids. But that will depend on whether they can get enough parts to do so.
I really find it hard to believe that a low tech part like the trailer hitch is such a constraint. I could understand the chip shortage but a simple fabricated part like a hitch receiver? The only constraint I could see on the hitch is the square tubing which Ford's supplier should have redundant mill suppliers.

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

No way either Honda or Toyota produce a hybrid truck anywhere close to the price of the Maverick. Maybe there would still be a lot of demand- if they think so and can get the pieces they will build them. But it would be years as they are not showing anything now.

I think Ford keeps raising the price of the hybrid until it is profitable enough and they still have orders. Trying to make a hybrid truck their lowest price vehicle makes no sense.

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off this has nothing to do with roll over orders ONLY new 2023 orders.

Am I the only one that thinks Ford should cancel at least 20 thousand of the 2023 Hybrid orders?. From what I have read here they took about 30 thousand orders to many for the 2023 hybrid model. Or should Ford let people hang even though Ford knows they cant even come close to fulfill those orders.

If that is what Ford does I guess they don't believe it will hurt them at all making 30 thousand people mad? Yes having your order cancelled would anger some too BUT I think more angry after waiting 12 months to be told Sorry we cant build your 2023 order BUT get in line for a 2024 at the new higher price?
That scenario is basically what they did to those of us with 22 models that didn't get a VIN. And this time no price protection or anything should it not be built in 23. So yes, I agree. Glitch is they will cancel some of the orders that flipped from 22 to 23 as all but the ones with the 22 with VINs that didn't get filled are new orders. THAT will tick people off. However, maybe it should be done then people, not in this fiasco, will see what Ford is really like to order from.

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford should give those who ordered a 23 Hybrid the ability to change it to an ecoboost. Then let the rest roll into 2024 if need be. We all waited the better part of a year to order, let us stay on the list if an EB is not acceptable.

Sponsored

Kelli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
other hybrids trucks will almost certainly be developed, but not at the Maverick hybrid price point. Even Ford seemingly doesn’t want to sell very many of them.
Toyota has already said plans are in they are shooting for that price point so they can convert those waiting for a Maverick. They have the technology in place.
The problem is the datetime of the order is a low ranking criteria for what gets built. First is dealer allocation, then order priority code at the dealer, and finally the tie breaker at the dealer is when the order was placed. Even if you get selected, now you play the constraints game to see if you can actually get produced. But you can be an order placed right at order bank open at a dealer and not even get selected for previewing.
Exactly! My 22 order was a 10 from the start--it didn't move until time to wrap up the year and begin the close out process. My current order is again at a 10. So who knows, it's truly a crap shoot. Come on 7 or 11--LOL!

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ford knows people who have a vehicle on order are less likely to go buy something else so why would they cancel them? On the other hand knowing what you know now if you want to cancel you should. Ford may keep you in line for a 2024 but they have made it clear they are not protecting price, finance rates, or any other component going forward.

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Who exactly is "we" you speak of. You have a mouse in your pocket ? The ECOboost with 4k tow package is what gives Maverick its "truck" capabilities - otherwise any old tiny Clown car with high MPG will work for the masses.
Even a Maverick in the most robust configuration is barely "a truck". The Maverick was designed (and occasionally built) for people looking for something for $20k, not for people looking for a truck.

minitrucknuts

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS
Ford may keep you in line for a 2024 but they have made it clear they are not protecting price, finance rates, or any other component going forward.
Ford has said there is no plan in place, that is different than "we won't".

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If Ford wants to cancel my MY23 order I would accept a payment of $10,000 as that amount would cover the costs of the equity of $6,007 in my current MY22 Maverick XLT Hybrid and the cost of an aftermarket hitch + labor for installation + cost of having a vehicle one year older with one year less warranty coverage.

Buyer's Order.jpg's Order.jpg

Carvana XLT Maverick Hybrid 11-01-22.JPG
Sure, they could pay me $10,000 and cancel my order too. Or they could just cancel it and tell me they owe me nothing. In reality, Ford doesn't even owe me an explanation if they cancel. The dealer does owe me a deposit if that happens though. Ford could decide they are halting production of the Maverick today. That is their choice. They owe you nothing.

Sponsored

twracing

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Nissan Titan, 2022 Chevy Trailblazer RS
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can Ford simply give current MY23 order holders the opportunity to switch their Hybrid to EB? This may help improve the chance we get ours built if a handful of Hybrids get switched over. I ordered a Hybrid Lariat myself but may swap to EB if presented the opportunity. I currently drive a Nissan Titan with 86k that gets 12.5 mpg's so even the EB will be a significant improvement there.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

First off this has nothing to do with roll over orders ONLY new 2023 orders.

Am I the only one that thinks Ford should cancel at least 20 thousand of the 2023 Hybrid orders?. From what I have read here they took about 30 thousand orders to many for the 2023 hybrid model. Or should Ford let people hang even though Ford knows they cant even come close to fulfill those orders.

If that is what Ford does I guess they don't believe it will hurt them at all making 30 thousand people mad? Yes having your order cancelled would anger some too BUT I think more angry after waiting 12 months to be told Sorry we cant build your 2023 order BUT get in line for a 2024 at the new higher price?
NO!! But they should be honest; if some orders have no chance for a 23Mav, Ford should send an email to that effect.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, right inept planning. They didn’t plan for a pandemic and then years of parts constraints. Those idiots.
They didn't plan to keep paying customers in the loop either. Like I've said multiple times here, I've had over 13 coworkers order new cars, all of them ordered months after me. Each and every single one of them have their car/truck. Each and every single one of them have had their orders for months now. At some point it's more than fair to call ford a bunch of inept idiots, lots of us have been at that point for months.

Also, the mavericks engineering/design started during the pandemic.

Last edited:

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford knows people who have a vehicle on order are less likely to go buy something else so why would they cancel them?
That logic holds for NOW....but get to this time next year, bunches not yet even scheduled, the game changes. After a year long wait, you can pretty much assume lots of folks are going to (or have already by that point) jumped ship. I came to the Mav because it checks off all my boxes including and importantly being a low cost option, but they'll likely price me and others out of the MY24 market.

blizbiggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can Ford simply give current MY23 order holders the opportunity to switch their Hybrid to EB? This may help improve the chance we get ours built if a handful of Hybrids get switched over. I ordered a Hybrid Lariat myself but may swap to EB if presented the opportunity.
I was thinking the same with being able to switch if given the chance. I'm sure there's quite a bit of people who will jump for this.
Sponsored