First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My daughter and I spent the weekend camping and biking. I had the chance to try this set up. Put the old Yakima Space Cadet on my DIY rear rack.

We kept all gear outside the cab in the box or in larger waterproof duffels in the bed. Next step will be to copy some of the DIY tonneau ideas to completely secure the bed.

Yes, it blocks the rearview mirror. The side mirrors provide plenty of visibility. Keeping the box at/below the cab keeps the MPGs where they should be.

It is a fun, functional set up. Access to gear was easy. More to come!

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack PXL_20220731_224945112

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack PXL_20220731_224934581

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack IMG_20220729_141730_01
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great. Can you share some details and pictures for your bed crossbars?

OP
OP
Phranc68

Phranc68

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Ram 3500, Honda Odyssey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Given post purchase cash flow challenges and relative lack of bed rack availability from Ford, Yakima or Thule I embraced the DIY ethos and made my own.

At first I was going to try and utilize the mounting options provided by the pre drilled holes in the sides of the bed. I was not clever enough to devise something simple to use them and result in rack that will clear the tailgate as my bikes and skis do not fit inside the 4.5 foot bed.

So I decided to mount plasti-dipped 2x6 treated lumber across the bed with my ski and bike racks mounted onto the 2x6. It worked well. I needed my ski racks on another car, so I fashioned some new ski racks from scratch.

I went to the steel/iron pipe section of the local hardware store. I purchased a 2.5 section of 1 inch pipe and two outing posts and a few bolts. Less than 20.00 total and I have a fine rack for skis and one of my gear boxes which fits perfectly over the truck bed but below the roof line.

I have one of my storage boxes with a mounted 12v connection in it for my pumps, lights and chargers. The other is full of straps and bungees. Loving it so far.

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack Rack Mount

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack Rack Mount 2

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack Back Shot

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack Skis

Ford Maverick Set for adventure... Yakima Space Cadet installed on my DIY rear bed rack Bike on

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been wanting to do something like this, but then I realized that putting the tent that low would block my view at the back. Now I am uncertain about which way to go. Might come down to how bad the MPG hit is to have it up high, as well as the difficulty of removing and storing the tent when not needed for everyday driving.

MaverickGal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Laurie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That’s really cool and price point is perfect! Thanks for the inspiration - multifunctional and I like that it’s not complicated. Maybe I can do that too…