Saw some transport damage on Maverick on dealer lot

tebowed

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 2.0T
Happened to my friend and is WRX. Dealer told him his car was delivered and then the next day called and said it wouldn't be ready for another 2 weeks. He's a technician and had the tool, so he measured the paint and found the whole door was repainted.
This happened to me, I had a VW GTI I watched them back it off the transport truck with the protection on it. Come time to trade it in, they came out with the scanner, and they had repainted the whole front right, and right door at the factory. Sold it as new.
Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This happened to me, I had a VW GTI I watched them back it off the transport truck with the protection on it. Come time to trade it in, they came out with the scanner, and they had repainted the whole front right, and right door at the factory. Sold it as new.
There is a very well known case of a BMW dealer who re-painted & repaired shipping damage to a beemer and sold the car as new. Lost a several hundred thousand dollar law suit with a customer. Once a car leaves the factory and is damaged and repaired it legally can not be sold as new....dozens of court case out there.

Biggest fear of buying from a dealer across the country is paying a non-refundable deposit prior to shipment and arrive to find the Maverick with body damage and having to deal with repairs from 900 miles away.

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
Once a car leaves the factory and is damaged and repaired it legally can not be sold as new....dozens of court case out there.
Can you provide examples of these dozens of court cases? I'm interested to see where the courts draw the line on damage. Heck, most cheap cars are shipped by rail and by open car carrier. If a car gets a clearcoat scratch that runs the length of the vehicle but is polished out, is the car no longer new?

I used to work as a dealership mechanic. Damage on new cars is not uncommon. Cars are a commodity just like anything else. Whether you're moving toilet paper or pickup trucks, when you're moving that much product that passes through dozens of hands who have no personal interest in the items, stuff is going to happen.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I'm also doubting that. "New" mostly only cares about if a title was issued. If someone buys a vehicle and returns it before the paperwork fully clears it may still be resold as new. Dealer demos and loaners can also be sold as new.

Now if the dealer provably guaranteed there was no pre-delivery damage or it was serious frame damage that wasn't fully repaired and discovered later there would be a viable fraud case there.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Can you provide examples of these dozens of court cases? I'm interested to see where the courts draw the line on damage. Heck, most cheap cars are shipped by rail and by open car carrier. If a car gets a clearcoat scratch that runs the length of the vehicle but is polished out, is the car no longer new?

I used to work as a dealership mechanic. Damage on new cars is not uncommon. Cars are a commodity just like anything else. Whether you're moving toilet paper or pickup trucks, when you're moving that much product that passes through dozens of hands who have no personal interest in the items, stuff is going to happen.
What If a Dealer Sells You a Damaged Car? (thenest.com)

Dealers can get away with OEM electrical or mechanical, like radio is not working, radiator leaks, broken mirror or window....but not body damage...dealers are required to disclose any "damage" to a new vehicle that is being sold as "new". Dealers get in trouble when not fixing/replacing items that are not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), you can replace a radio with an OEM one, but not body damage or OEM paint job.

BMW dealer locally had a 731-I sedan with slightly dented finder. Fixed & repainted and did not disclose the repairs...where the dealer got in trouble was not disclosing the repair and further insisted that it was brand new...until an employee testified that he was in charge of the repaired body and repaint work. Dealership was charged with fraud and is no longer a BMW dealer.

Another one I was involved with…brand new VW Jetta windshield leaked at first rain. Finally floorboards were soaking wet after another hard rain. Selling dealer insisted it was not a problem. Taken back to a different VW Dealer that was closer, to be informed the their windshield was not OEM from VW but from a local Safeway Glass….ugh oh. Messy court case and original selling VW dealer had to take the car back due to mildew odors from wet floor carpet and glove box damage…customer was reimbursed for inconvenience and refunded all money plus interest they had paid for 6 months…and a big apology.

Last edited:

Sponsored

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, did you see your Maverick unloaded from the transporter truck....?
Depending on when mine is delivered I work and live less than 5 minutes from the dealership so I might.
Sponsored