Sponsored

Satellite radio antenna in all Mavericks?

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I rented the Maverick shop manual from Helm for a few days to better understand the Maverick infotainment system and the difference between the standard radio and Sync 3. And I discovered some information that leads me to believe all Mavericks have a SiriusXM antenna factory installed. The shop manual says that the cellular signals for FordPass are received by a cellular antenna integral to the roof antenna. The shop manual also says that the radio gets its compass heading from a GPS antenna, also integral with the roof antenna. The wiring diagram shows an XM antenna integral with the AM, FM, cellular, and GPS antennae in the roof. The parts directory says that there is only one roof antenna that receives AM, FM, cellular, and GPS, and it receives satellite radio as well. All Mavericks can receive cellular through Ford Pass and have a compass display. Therefore, I am led to the conclusion that all antennae in all Mavericks can receive satellite radio as well as cellular and GPS.

The wiring diagram further goes on to show that there is one coaxial cable carrying both AM & FM signals that goes to the center input on the back of the radio head; and another coaxial cable carrying GPS and satellite radio goes to the outermost input. The third input, the innermost, is not used in North America, since it is for Digital Audio Broadcasting, only available in countries in Europe and elsewhere. Therefore, you should be able to use a male Fakra to male SMB adopter (available from Amazon) to connect that outer co-ax cable to an after-market SiriusXM radio - if you are willing to forfeit the compass display - and, if required, the Sirius antenna selector to the factory radio with a female DIN to female Fakra adopter.

Also, you might want to experiment with Ford’s GPS/XM splitter, Ford part No. 10E928, and see if you can use it to reconnect the GPS to the radio.

And since the Maverick does not have an Aux input, does anyone have any experiences using a phone jack to USB adopter to connect an XM radio Aux output to the Maverick USB input?

Although it was ordered 9 months ago, I don’t have a production date for my Maverick yet, so I can’t try it it. But if someone wants to try to connect their after-market XM radio to this factory cable, please let us know of the results. The wiring diagram and parts catalog could be wrong.
Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Good work on all the research. It makes sense there would be parts interchangeability.
Now we just need somebody to test it out by installing an aftermarket satellite radio system.
Thank you for posting this.

Luckyaf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
I rented the Maverick shop manual from Helm for a few days to better understand the Maverick infotainment system and the difference between the standard radio and Sync 3. And I discovered some information that leads me to believe all Mavericks have a SiriusXM antenna factory installed. The shop manual says that the cellular signals for FordPass are received by a cellular antenna integral to the roof antenna. The shop manual also says that the radio gets its compass heading from a GPS antenna, also integral with the roof antenna. The wiring diagram shows an XM antenna integral with the AM, FM, cellular, and GPS antennae in the roof. The parts directory says that there is only one roof antenna that receives AM, FM, cellular, and GPS, and it receives satellite radio as well. All Mavericks can receive cellular through Ford Pass and have a compass display. Therefore, I am led to the conclusion that all antennae in all Mavericks can receive satellite radio as well as cellular and GPS.

The wiring diagram further goes on to show that there is one coaxial cable carrying both AM & FM signals that goes to the center input on the back of the radio head; and another coaxial cable carrying GPS and satellite radio goes to the outermost input. The third input, the innermost, is not used in North America, since it is for Digital Audio Broadcasting, only available in countries in Europe and elsewhere. Therefore, you should be able to use a male Fakra to male SMB adopter (available from Amazon) to connect that outer co-ax cable to an after-market SiriusXM radio - if you are willing to forfeit the compass display - and, if required, the Sirius antenna selector to the factory radio with a female DIN to female Fakra adopter.

Also, you might want to experiment with Ford’s GPS/XM splitter, Ford part No. 10E928, and see if you can use it to reconnect the GPS to the radio.

And since the Maverick does not have an Aux input, does anyone have any experiences using a phone jack to USB adopter to connect an XM radio Aux output to the Maverick USB input?

Although it was ordered 9 months ago, I don’t have a production date for my Maverick yet, so I can’t try it it. But if someone wants to try to connect their after-market XM radio to this factory cable, please let us know of the results. The wiring diagram and parts catalog could be wrong.
I bought a usb C to aux adapter and I didn’t work. I’m gonna try a usb A to aux adapter eventually and see if that one will work. The sirus xm radio I bought has a built in fm transmitter so it’s not to big of a deal..but I’d much rather have an aux input over fm transmitter.

cormiermc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought a usb C to aux adapter and I didn’t work. I’m gonna try a usb A to aux adapter eventually and see if that one will work. The sirus xm radio I bought has a built in fm transmitter so it’s not to big of a deal..but I’d much rather have an aux input over fm transmitter.
i tried a usb stick with my music and it didn't work so i doubt the adapter will work. byt the music on the memory from my phone work well

coherent

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, F250 Superduty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone make any progress on a SiriusXm adapter of some sort for the Maverick. Cell coverage is sketchy in my area so using the cell pone is not a great option. The one company I found (VAIS) makes adapter modules, but said they don't currently make one for the Maverick, but to check back near the end of the year. I miss the Sat radio, and don't really want to mess with cables and other receivers etc cluttering up things.

Sponsored

OP
OP

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone make any progress on a SiriusXm adapter of some sort for the Maverick. Cell coverage is sketchy in my area so using the cell pone is not a great option. The one company I found (VAIS) makes adapter modules, but said they don't currently make one for the Maverick, but to check back near the end of the year. I miss the Sat radio, and don't really want to mess with cables and other receivers etc cluttering up things.
SiriusXM Roady works well. It is easy to set up. Attach antenna above the windshield, and antenna wire disappears behind the windshield. There is a conveniently placed gap in the weatherstripping midway down the passenger door to run the antenna wire through and into the cabin. The Roady power supply plugs into the 12v outlet on the dash. For best fit and professional install look, attach Roady with vent clips to a Maverick cubby grid available at https://www.etsy.com/listing/1168440665/cubby-grid-phone-mounting-ford-maverick
Then connect to factory radio with Bluetooth.
Only problem is that it requires many button pushes to switch Bluetooth connection between phone and Roady, so should not be attempted while driving.

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good work on all the research. It makes sense there would be parts interchangeability.
Now we just need somebody to test it out by installing an aftermarket satellite radio system.
Thank you for posting this.
@Shay has put a Genuine XM satellite radio in his MAV but it had a separate antenna. The wire running did not look like fun.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Shay has put a Genuine XM satellite radio in his MAV but it had a separate antenna. The wire running did not look like fun.
It wasn't that bad, took about 15 minutes to route the wire under all the plastic trim. Ford has big gaps :)

Hardening2753

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Crazy good research! Keep fighting the good fight

OP
OP

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Crazy good research! Keep fighting the good fight
I did that research some months ago. More info is available now. Ford parts confirms that there is a different part number for antennae for Lariats with Lux package than for other Mavericks. Ergo, only Lariat Lux has an antenna with XM reception.

Sponsored
OP
OP

KenT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could you just swap out your own multi-band shark fin?
Have to remove all the interior trim pieces above the bottom of the windows to lower the headliner to get at the screw which holds the antenna to the roof. Probably never be able to put back all those pieces without causing a rattle or buzz.
if you route the antenna cable around the windshield it becomes invisible after you tuck the wire in. Then pass the wire through the convenient gap in the front door weatherstripping.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

3.5 mm to USB will not work for an addon XM. The reason is the 3.5 audio out is analog like old school RCA pin plugs. The USB in the MAV ( as with all systems) is for the input of music files. The two systems are not compatible. My suggestion is to use XM's FM broadcaster, or to use a bluetooth Transmitter which has a 3.5mm input to transmit to the Mav radio. Also newer XM radios now have both FM and bluetooth. I have done both in my Mazda CX-5. The nice thing about bluetooth is there is not the interference problem as with FM. Modern bluetooth tech has improved so that much of the audio compression is not so noticeable. Does anyone know if the Mav has 5.0 bluetooth ?

Update On Amazon there are CD player which connect to the USB input for about $100 to $150 which are reported to work on some Fords. These are not regular CD players but those designed for cars with only an USB input. I will try one of these when my 23Mav gets here; by then, there should be more choices; and Prime is returnable.

Last edited:

coherent

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, F250 Superduty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It wasn't that bad, took about 15 minutes to route the wire under all the plastic trim. Ford has big gaps :)

What SiriusXm radio did you install?

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for posting. I am interested in using a TMobile sim card since I have unlimited data plan although I would have to pay for a line to access but it would be cheaper. And I would have access to all my streaming.

Also I think I saw where Ford was going to remove Sirius access in mavericks as well as others, soon if not already.
Sponsored