First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My truck is currently on a train preparing for the dealer ordeal. I plan on trading in my current ride. Is the value of the trade in deducted from the cost of the vehicle? Thus lowering the sales tax. I live in NJ but the dealer is in NY. Also I know about the doc fees but how about any dealer prep fees? Is that something the dealer can inflate?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JayDee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Equinox Premier
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My truck is currently on a train preparing for the dealer ordeal. I plan on trading in my current ride. Is the value of the trade in deducted from the cost of the vehicle? Thus lowering the sales tax. I live in NJ but the dealer is in NY.
Yes, the value of your traded vehicle is not subject to state sales tax. The state will tax your traded in vehicle when the dealer sells it.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depends on the state. Mine allows you to deduct a trade, but not incentives.

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same in Indiana. Only the value of the trade is deducted from the sale price for tax purposes. Rebates aren't.

JesTr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SEL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sales and use tax laws vary from state to state. Gotta do the homework for your specific state, so probably maybe.

Sponsored

DannyP

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2017 Escape SE, 1929 Model A Coupe
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealer did not charge any Doc fees or prep fees. I got my truck at 12/22 MSRP & 12/22 interest rate.

Clive

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not applicable for this case, but for anyone curious, California will charge you sales tax on the full value of the vehicle before any rebates, and they do not reduce it for trade-in values.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sales and use tax laws vary from state to state. Gotta do the homework for your specific state, so probably maybe.
Yeah I found a document from NJ. Even tho I buy in NY NJ gets the tax. Fees doc fees renates incentive all are taxed. Only the value of the trade is exempt.

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another consideration is when you buy out of state, you may have to pay the taxes in full when registering in your own state. So it might not be part of your loan.

We bought a Mustang in SC, paid everything except for sales tax. When I registered the car in Georgia, I paid entire tax at the counter.

But yes they deducted the tradin value from the Mustang price before calculating taxes.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another consideration is when you buy out of state, you may have to pay the taxes in full when registering in your own state. So it might not be part of your loan.

We bought a Mustang in SC, paid everything except for sales tax. When I registered the car in Georgia, I paid entire tax at the counter with a check.

But yes they deducted the tradin value from the Mustang price before calculating taxes.
Depends on the dealer and the state. Often, dealers near the state line or who otherwise sell to out-of-state customers are able to process titles and sales tax directly with the neighboring state. Not always.

Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can ask your dealer to email you an itemized explanation of the numbers, including the final total. No reason they can't do that right now

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depends on the dealer and the state. Often, dealers near the state line or who otherwise sell to out-of-state customers are able to process titles and sales tax directly with the neighboring state. Not always.
Yea I planned to pay it myself from beginning, so didn't ask about it and they never offered it. I wanted to pass that along as something to look out for.

OP
OP
NJBob

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

We bought a Mustang in SC, paid everything except for sales tax. When I registered the car in Georgia, I paid entire tax at the counter.

I have bought cars in both NY and PA I live in NJ The dealer gets you your plates and pay the SalesTax. These dealers are very close to the border so should not be an issue. I hope.
Sponsored