Sponsored

Runaway Cruise Control!! (Or maybe an old dog that doesn’t know the new tricks!)

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just had a disturbing situation occur with my Lariat Lux cruise control.

While running at 70mph with the Cruise engaged I went to accelerate using the Cruise + button. The truck did accelerate, however when I released the button it did not adjust to that speed. It continued to speed up until I disengaged the system. Thinking that was a fluke, I repeated the procedure and sure enough the truck continued accelerating to 85+ forcing me to disengage the Cruise completely again.

I will report this to my local service manage, but wanted to let others know this could happen to you.

Drive safe. 🤨
Sponsored

Last edited:

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

While running at 70mph with the Cruise engaged I went to accelerate using the Cruise + button. The truck did accelerate, however when I released the button it did not adjust to that speed. It continued to speed up until I disengaged the system. Thinking that was a fluke, I repeated the procedure and sure enough the truck continued accelerating to 85+ forcing me to disengage the Cruise completely again.

I will report this to my local service manage, but wanted to let others know this could happen to you.

Drive safe. 🤨
Try tapping + button and when reaches desired speed tap set button. I hope tap of + just adds something like 0.1 mph so if you want 0.5 added tap 5 times. If hold down + button for 2-3(?) Seconds it goes into increase mode until set is tapped (or held?) Have you read manual?

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Drive safe. 🤨
I don't think the button is intended to be held down? Each push should be 1 mph so in holding it down you're likely telling the computer to jump 20+ mph. That's how the cruise works in my wife's Escape at least.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Try tapping + button and when reaches desired speed tap set button. I hope tap of + just adds something like 0.1 mph so if you want 0.5 added tap 5 times. If hold down + button for 2-3(?) Seconds it goes into increase mode until set is tapped (or held?) Have you read manual?
I did try tapping the button after it continued to accelerate. I tried tapping forward(+)/back(-) as well as pressing the resume button. It did mot stop accelerating until I disengaged.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think the button is intended to be held down? Each push should be 1 mph so in holding it down you're likely telling the computer to jump 20+ mph. That's how the cruise works in my wife's Escape at least.
That might be worth checking and if so Ford should take care of it before someone gets confused and blasts into traffic. One push of the button, whether quick or constant, should only equal 1mph increase.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Drive safe. 🤨
I had it happen to me once in the first vehicle I had with ACC. In my instance, it was operator error. I held down the Accelerate button waiting until the speedometer got to the speed I wanted and let go thinking it would hold that speed. Like a traditional cruise control.

However with ACC, it doesn't work that way. It's raising the ACC speed, and not checking with the current speed at all. There is a separate ACC set speed indicator. If you just hold down the Accelerate (+) button, by the time you get to your desired speedometer speed, your ACC speed was still rising and rising and may be at 85-90 MPH.

Once I realized that I just need to monitor the ACC set speed and never consider the speedometer speed for setting cruise control, it works amazingly well.

Like the poster above, I just focus on singular clicks up and down to adjust speed and monitor the ACC set speed readout carefully.

But when it first happened, it freaked me out. I thought my car was out of control and demon possessed. LOL

Last edited:

MavDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 MAZDA 3 Sedan
I did try tapping the button after it continued to accelerate. I tried tapping forward(+)/back(-) as well as pressing the reset button. It did mot stop accelerating until I disengaged.
I believe what folks are saying is this:
1. Turn on cruise control once you hit desired speed
2. If you want to increase speed, press (DO NOT HOLD) the + button. This should increase mph by 1.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That could be what was happening.

I was use to being able to hold the button until I reached the speed I wanted and then releasing.

Was definitely unexpected and a little scary 😧.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had it happen to me once in the first vehicle I had with ACC. In my instance, it was operator error. I held down the Accelerate button waiting until the speedometer got to the speed I wanted and let go thinking it would hold that speed. Like a traditional cruise control.

However with ACC, it doesn't work that way. It's raising the ACC speed, and not checking with the current speed at all. There is a separate ACC set speed indicator. If you just hold down the Accelerate (+) button, by the time you get to your speedometer speed, your ACC speed was still rising and rising and may be at 85-90 MPH.

Once I realized that I just need to monitor the ACC set speed and never consider the speedometer speed for setting cruise control, it works amazingly well.

Like the poster above, I just focus on singular clicks up and down to adjust speed and monitor the ACC set speed readout carefully.

But when it first happened, it freaked me out. I thought my car was out of control and demon possessed. LOL
That sounds right. I guess I’ve been dealing with old technology for too many years. 😁

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did try tapping the button after it continued to accelerate. I tried tapping forward(+)/back(-) as well as pressing the resume button. It did mot stop accelerating until I disengaged.
Yeah, what likely happened is accidentally set your ACC set speed to 80-90 MPH when you held down the button. And then making clicks up and down was just making small adjustments from 80-90 MPH. So, you did the right thing to totally disengage. Sounds scary.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That might be worth checking and if so Ford should take care of it before someone gets confused and blasts into traffic. One push of the button, whether quick or constant, should only equal 1mph increase.
I know but I constantly get chapped when I have to hold down the stinking + at 45 for 22 seconds when I want to cruise at 70. This sounds like a biggie improvement to me, but....(?). I currently have Honda CR-V and tap of +/- adds or subtracts I don't know what but I do not believe it is a full 1 mph. What I would like would be several buttons which would be programmable separately for certain speeds. 35/50/60/70 or whatever. Am hoping adaptive cruise will actively change cruise to match the posted speed limit sign so I can concentrate on driving instead of darn old +/- buttons.🥰

nathanchrisman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Drive safe. 🤨
This may actually working correctly, but differently than you expected.
In my recent experience, a “click” of the + will increase the target speed by 1mph. If you press and hold, it may be registered as “+++++++++++++++++”.
I think this is different that older generations of cruise control where you held down the “accel” until you hit the desired speed.
Try it with clicks instead. :)
Sponsored