Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Definitely cool but. I would just spend the extra 5k and tow a second maverick behind me at that price.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Definitely cool but. I would just spend the extra 5k and tow a second maverick behind me at that price.
That wouldn't make it any better to sleep in though. Lol.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That wouldn't make it any better to sleep in though. Lol.
Park em butt to butt. Gates down, toss in a mattress, pull all the front occuppant seatbelts out the doors pull a rope between all of em making and X over the bed. Then stretch a tarp over that attach one long side of the tarp down to the wheels and then take 2 universal tent poles and tie em to the rear tires on the other side then triangulated out to the front tires. Now you have a 12 ft covered bed with lanai space. Bed lighting and power should fill in most of the rest. Maybe a camp table for a white fuel coleman stoveand one of the trucks that has a manual slider window with a fridge/freezer on the back seat.

Rope, poles, tarp, and mattress will cost you around $3-400(mostly mattress).

Obviously I'm kidding, but you may have guessed that I have done many things like this before. My family was pretty old school with camping growing up. We would go on 3 week long vacations setting up a dozen different campsites all through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Kids always had a ton of jobs to do before they could go explore the area. Always had a great time. Once I became and adult I started partying with my hippy fiends and showing how to set up some pretty cool outdoor living spaces at festivals big and small. All this experience has led me to figuring out what to do with the Maverick. My personal plan is Ranch topper shell with racks(aswell as racks on the cab). We will attach a $4-500 SUV tent to the back of it and sleep in the bed, while having space for the dogs, gear, and pee toilet in the tent portion. The racks up top come into play with our roof top tent we used to use on our Bronco before my wifes cancer struggle. It also has a ground annex, which we will use for our nieces and nephew and their dogs. Weight shouldnt be a problem since we will spread it out across the cap and cab racks with longitudinal rails(possibly just 2x4s) Thats 600lbs capacity with -200lbs of tent leaving the kids to be fine till adult hood and beyond. On the drivers side of the truck we will probably setup a wing type awning for kitchen shade. Add in a couple of hammocks in trees and a handfull of chairs and a table or 2 and we will be setup for camping 5 people and 4 dogs. All on our lil Maverick.

As for this camper. It is well appointed but considering it is twice the price of the GFC unit I just dont know if its justifiable. I mean who is really gonna sit in a 4.5' bed on 2 tiny little chairs and eat off a tiny little table in anything short of severe weather. Meals will end up being done tailgate style. Cool, exciting, fun? Sure but just not at that price. There are bigger and cheaper campers out there well below the Mavs tow ratings.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From the exterior looks like a prop for identifying a police or prison vehicle from a low budget future dystopia film made for showing in drive-ins during the 1970s.

😬

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That looks cool, but for that price I think I'd go teardrop.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Park em butt to butt. Gates down, toss in a mattress, pull all the front occuppant seatbelts out the doors pull a rope between all of em making and X over the bed. Then stretch a tarp over that attach one long side of the tarp down to the wheels and then take 2 universal tent poles and tie em to the rear tires on the other side then triangulated out to the front tires. Now you have a 12 ft covered bed with lanai space. Bed lighting and power should fill in most of the rest. Maybe a camp table for a white fuel coleman stoveand one of the trucks that has a manual slider window with a fridge/freezer on the back seat.

Rope, poles, tarp, and mattress will cost you around $3-400(mostly mattress).

Obviously I'm kidding, but you may have guessed that I have done many things like this before. My family was pretty old school with camping growing up. We would go on 3 week long vacations setting up a dozen different campsites all through the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Kids always had a ton of jobs to do before they could go explore the area. Always had a great time. Once I became and adult I started partying with my hippy fiends and showing how to set up some pretty cool outdoor living spaces at festivals big and small. All this experience has led me to figuring out what to do with the Maverick. My personal plan is Ranch topper shell with racks(aswell as racks on the cab). We will attach a $4-500 SUV tent to the back of it and sleep in the bed, while having space for the dogs, gear, and pee toilet in the tent portion. The racks up top come into play with our roof top tent we used to use on our Bronco before my wifes cancer struggle. It also has a ground annex, which we will use for our nieces and nephew and their dogs. Weight shouldnt be a problem since we will spread it out across the cap and cab racks with longitudinal rails(possibly just 2x4s) Thats 600lbs capacity with -200lbs of tent leaving the kids to be fine till adult hood and beyond. On the drivers side of the truck we will probably setup a wing type awning for kitchen shade. Add in a couple of hammocks in trees and a handfull of chairs and a table or 2 and we will be setup for camping 5 people and 4 dogs. All on our lil Maverick.

As for this camper. It is well appointed but considering it is twice the price of the GFC unit I just dont know if its justifiable. I mean who is really gonna sit in a 4.5' bed on 2 tiny little chairs and eat off a tiny little table in anything short of severe weather. Meals will end up being done tailgate style. Cool, exciting, fun? Sure but just not at that price. There are bigger and cheaper campers out there well below the Mavs tow ratings.
It is twice the price of the GFC unit, but you are getting far more too. Main bed is 63" x 77" long on the RK. On the GFC the bed is only 50" wide. a bit narrow for me to fit with my wife. I have broad shoulders. RK unit give you a place to sit, and a finished interior. Available with outdoor shower, water heater etc. RK gives you a full slide in, not just a cap. You have a finished, flat & dry floor. I would be OK with the GFC, but sleeping for 2 is cramped. RK lets you sleep 3. It is a full step above the GFC, and half way to what a Camper designed for an F150 would give you. Both seem very well built. Bottom line, but what works for you. If you are OK sleeping under a tarp or in a tent you will save even more money. I'm just glad there is a more upscale option potentially there for us.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

It is twice the price of the GFC unit, but you are getting far more too. Main bed is 63" x 77" long on the RK. On the GFC the bed is only 50" wide. a bit narrow for me to fit with my wife. I have broad shoulders. RK unit give you a place to sit, and a finished interior. Available with outdoor shower, water heater etc. RK gives you a full slide in, not just a cap. You have a finished, flat & dry floor. I would be OK with the GFC, but sleeping for 2 is cramped. RK lets you sleep 3. It is a full step above the GFC, and half way to what a Camper designed for an F150 would give you. Both seem very well built. Bottom line, but what works for you. If you are OK sleeping under a tarp or in a tent you will save even more money. I'm just glad there is a more upscale option potentially there for us.
I get the refinements but I think its gonna be small in the Maverick. Unless you are thinking about squeezing a full size unit onto the Mav. I will also say that me and my wife are both around 6ft 300 ish and we used sleep fine in the 48" RTT we have. But yeah for different uses. We would prefer to have a cap or camper that allowed us to leave it on full time and still use our truck as a truck. We got, dogs, propane, water, laundry, groceries, and building material to haul every week. We personally cant even afford the GFC setup at the moment. If I was looking at that cap I think I would leave my truck as is and think about a nice popup trailer. Full queen sized bed, near ground level cooking, much more space. And as a bonus 20 years from now you can go use it for trailer racing at your local dirt track!

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

From the exterior looks like a prop for identifying a police or prison vehicle from a low budget future dystopia film made for showing in drive-ins during the 1970s.

😬
It is made in Canada, so I assume it is more wildlife resistant. I can see it does look a little like a dog catcher truck. I like the extra security of it though.

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I get the refinements but I think its gonna be small in the Maverick. Unless you are thinking about squeezing a full size unit onto the Mav. I will also say that me and my wife are both around 6ft 300 ish and we used sleep fine in the 48" RTT we have. But yeah for different uses. We would prefer to have a cap or camper that allowed us to leave it on full time and still use our truck as a truck. We got, dogs, propane, water, laundry, groceries, and building material to haul every week. We personally cant even afford the GFC setup at the moment. If I was looking at that cap I think I would leave my truck as is and think about a nice popup trailer. Full queen sized bed, near ground level cooking, much more space. And as a bonus 20 years from now you can go use it for trailer racing at your local dirt track!
I use my van for camping now. It's really nice being able to park anywhere, even in congested areas and not worry about a trailer being attached. We are not big fans of campgrounds, so there is that too. It's more important for us to have one vehicle to travel in than 2. This unit would allow the style of travel/camping we choose. The GFC is a contender too, as it can haul items easier when not camping, but I will keep the van so hauling is not an issue for us anyway when needed. Still waiting to hear back from RK. I think it would suit our needs perfectly.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I use my van for camping now. It's really nice being able to park anywhere, even in congested areas and not worry about a trailer being attached. We are not big fans of campgrounds, so there is that too. It's more important for us to have one vehicle to travel in than 2. This unit would allow the style of travel/camping we choose. The GFC is a contender too, as it can haul items easier when not camping, but I will keep the van so hauling is not an issue for us anyway when needed. Still waiting to hear back from RK. I think it would suit our needs perfectly.
Well if you got a van, thats another deal entirely. Im a vanner from way back. Hell I started van life back when it was just called being poor! Had 7 econolines, 2 4x4s, all of em with totally custom interiors except for on 95 hitop conversion luxury job. Go 2%!

OP
OP
LSchicago

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well if you got a van, thats another deal entirely. Im a vanner from way back. Hell I started van life back when it was just called being poor! Had 7 econolines, 2 4x4s, all of em with totally custom interiors except for on 95 hitop conversion luxury job. Go 2%!
The van was pressed into service in 2020 when we couldn't fly anywhere. "Covid camper" lol. But it only gets 16 mpg on trips, it is 23 years old, and I can't stand up in it. It was cheap though. Bought it in 2018 for $2500.
Ford Maverick Rover King Campers? FB_IMG_1654120540459

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

$2500. About 10 nights in a good motel. You got the best end of that deal.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The van was pressed into service in 2020 when we couldn't fly anywhere. "Covid camper" lol. But it only gets 16 mpg on trips, it is 23 years old, and I can't stand up in it. It was cheap though. Bought it in 2018 for $2500.
FB_IMG_1654120540459.jpg
Very slick and the good motor too! Ive done cross country trips in van with way less mpg at prices similar to today. Hell I lived i one for over a year that maybe got 11mpg hwy, gas was about $3 then.

As far as the standing up vans are best used horizontally in my person experience.
Sponsored