athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered a Maverick way back when and decided to cancel because my vehicle at the time was in dire straits and I needed to move on.
Now, I'm in a 2022 Nissan Frontier, but can't say I'm happy with the price or the 20mpg average.
Put in an order on the Maverick XL like I wanted to all along today and am going to just wait it out. Even went with the Hybrid, so I know I'll be in for the long haul.
Fingers crossed that I can get something decent out of my 2022 Frontier. Who knows what the market will look like next year when my Maverick is ready, but regardless, I won't be paying 43K for the Maverick so I think I'm going to come out ahead.
Hoping for the best!
Sponsored

Last edited:

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered a Maverick way back when and decided to cancel because my vehicle at the time was in dire straits and I needed to move on.
Now, I'm in a 2022 Nissan Frontier, but can't say I'm happy with the price or the 20mpg average.
Put in an order on the Maverick XL like I wanted to all along today and am going to just wait it out. Even went with the Hybrid, so I know I'll be in for the long haul.
Fingers crossed that I can get something decent out of my 2022 Frontier. Who knows what the market will look like next year when my Maverick is ready, but regardless, I won't be paying 43K for the Maverick so I think I'm going to come out ahead.
Hoping for the best!
I bet the one you canceled was not canceled by the dealer so they still take delivery and tell Ford, whoops, the guy said no after a test drive. Then they get 10k more from their lot.

No one cancel! You control the truck don't hand the keys back to the dealer unless he agrees to split the profit with you. Please resell it yourself it is easy.

Tell your dealer you want the original order number (which keeps your original order date). It's OK to make changes to that order as long as you have no VIN. If they say there is a VIN have them prove it to you, unless you trust car dealers of course.

ccmjr77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How did you order a Hybrid Maverick today? They quit selling them on November 15. You can order a 2023 hybrid some time summer of 2022...

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hoping for the best!
Man oh man I am loving these I jumped ship because I couldn't wait anymore posts. This was one is the best one yet. You went out and dropped $18k more than a Maverick on vehicle that is going to depreciate in value, while you pay interest on your car loan, and then you're going to wait it out until your hybrid arrives in MY23 at an increased price over what you would have paid for your original order?

You aren't coming out ahead. I bet you cost yourself $3-5k. Unless you needed a new drivetrain I'm sure $1k of that could have kept your vehicle running until the original order showed up.

OP
OP
athertonbt

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Man oh man I am loving these I jumped ship because I couldn't wait anymore posts. This was one is the best one yet. You went out and dropped $18k more than a Maverick on vehicle that is going to depreciate in value, while you pay interest on your car loan, and then you're going to wait it out until your hybrid arrives in MY23 at an increased price over what you would have paid for your original order?

You aren't coming out ahead. I bet you cost yourself $3-5k. Unless you needed a new drivetrain I'm sure $1k of that could have kept your vehicle running until the original order showed up.
Unfortunately, the drivetrain in the 1997 Ford Ranger was the issue. Because the used market is ridiculous, I was able to unload it for $4500. Sure enough, the current owner has it in the shop and is facing down the choice of putting a new transmission and some other components in it.
At 2.32% interest, I can't say I'm very concerned about paying interest on my current truck. But, I agree with the jumping ship comments. I was shaking my head through all the earlier, frustrated posts from people who were bailing out as well.
I guess my thinking is more, just because you make a mistake, that's no reason to live with that mistake for the next 6 years and pay for a truck that, although it is nice, just isn't for you at the end of the day.
Very much doubt I'm going to be in the negative trading a 40k truck for one in the mid 20s. I guess I would need better math skills to see how that's going to cost me more money in the long run.

Sponsored

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If your dealer ordered uou a hybrid today, and you had one on order before, I'm guessing they never canceled and just essentially gave you your old order back since hybrid orders stopped on 11/15.

I would definitely check order numbers and such as has already been mentioned.

Also, did you get a confirmation email from Ford? (Either today or the first time?) Might be able to call the customer support number with info from that and check on things.

I'd be concerned with dealer shenanigans.

On the plus side you should have plenty of time to establish with someone that can get you Xplan when your Maverick gets to you.

OP
OP
athertonbt

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If your dealer ordered uou a hybrid today, and you had one on order before, I'm guessing they never canceled and just essentially gave you your old order back since hybrid orders stopped on 11/15.

I would definitely check order numbers and such as has already been mentioned.

Also, did you get a confirmation email from Ford? (Either today or the first time?) Might be able to call the customer support number with info from that and check on things.

I'd be concerned with dealer shenanigans.

On the plus side you should have plenty of time to establish with someone that can get you Xplan when your Maverick gets to you.
Appreciate the advice. Did reach out to the dealer. Like you said, with deal shenanigans, who knows what they've done. We'll find out.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Appreciate the advice. Did reach out to the dealer. Like you said, with deal shenanigans, who knows what they've done. We'll find out.
I'm definitely following along to see what you find, hope you get to the bottom of it.

Honestly I hope they "forgot" to cancel your original order and you get to keep your place in line.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unfortunately, the drivetrain in the 1997 Ford Ranger was the issue. Because the used market is ridiculous, I was able to unload it for $4500. Sure enough, the current owner has it in the shop and is facing down the choice of putting a new transmission and some other components in it.
At 2.32% interest, I can't say I'm very concerned about paying interest on my current truck. But, I agree with the jumping ship comments. I was shaking my head through all the earlier, frustrated posts from people who were bailing out as well.
I guess my thinking is more, just because you make a mistake, that's no reason to live with that mistake for the next 6 years and pay for a truck that, although it is nice, just isn't for you at the end of the day.
Very much doubt I'm going to be in the negative trading a 40k truck for one in the mid 20s. I guess I would need better math skills to see how that's going to cost me more money in the long run.
Interest on your loan (assuming 72 mos @ 2.43%) will be approximately $80 per month or up to $1,500 by the time your Maverick arrives.

Plus there is sales tax on a vehicle - that's largely a sunk cost. Ohio is 7.5% on $43k would be $3,225.

Then there is the depreciation on your truck. Which was $43k new. Even with the market as is - Nissans are one of the worst car manufacturers when it comes to depreciation - roughly 10% annually, but let's say the market helps you out and your vehicle only depreciates $2k.

To drive your Frontier until the Maverick arrives you have spent approximately $5,775 that you won't get back. That does not include a likely higher insurance premium going from a 98 ranger to a 2022 frontier.

The math isn't - I bought something for 50, then traded it for something that cost 25 and the seller gave me a 10.........so I made out ahead!

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are you trading in / selling for your Maverick??

Aug 18, 2021

1997 Ford Ranger XLT
207,000 miles
This was your first post. Was this the date of your Hybrid Order?

I ordered my Maverick Hybrid on Aug 23rd.

Hybrid Maverick orders will not be scheduled until further notice - per dealer bulletin

Sep 7, 2021

Went ahead and switched to a velocity blue XLT with ecoboost today after reading this news. Removed a few of my options as well. Maybe down the road that "standard hybrid" will prove itself to be both "standard" (i.e. something you can actually purchase) and a long lasting hybrid, but right now seems like there are more questions than answers.
This was a false positive. It was badly worded and only meant a one week pause. The following week Hybrid's were again scheduled.

My Hybrid got scheduled on 9/16 just nine days after you changed to an EcoBoost.

Sep 8, 2021

Have to say I still feel more optimistic about getting a truck this year after switching from the hybrid to the 2.0. Interestingly enough, when my dealer put my revised order in, there was a commodity hold on the regular tray bed liner (not spray in) and when he took it off my hold was removed.
So the holdup in not getting scheduled was having the non-spray-in bedliner (probably Hard Drop-in Bedliner? - Late Availability) on your order and not because it was a Hybrid.

Sep 13, 2021

Talked with my dealer this weekend and with their allocation I would most likely be looking at next year. Went to Carmax and got a 2020 Ranger 4wd with 18k miles for $28,000. Ford is still my company. But knowing folks who are still waiting on Broncos, I lost my confidence in the process, especially with ongoing work stoppages and the endless chip shortage. Ford is building as much or more than their competitors (see GMs total shutdown) but ultimately don't want to wait around on an ecoboost model that's only going to get me 3-4 more miles to the gallon. If my hybrid had a chance this year it would be different. But the battery market isn't looking too hardy either....
So you now have a 2020 Ranger to tide you over until your Maverick gets delivered.

Hoping for the best!
What!!! o_O

You now no longer have the 2020 Ranger and now bought a 2022 Nissan Frontier that you are not happy with.

And unless you placed your Hybrid XL Order before the 11/15 cutoff date you will be waiting until next June to really have an order and then it will be for MY2023 and probably won't have it until sometime in 2023.

In a span of 6 days (Sep 8-13) you flipped from a Hybrid to EcoBoost then bought a 2020 Ranger to tide you over even though you really wanted the Hybrid. Then to make matters worse you sold the 2020 Ranger for a 2022 Nissan Frontier that you are extremely unhappy with and now again placed an order for an XL Hybrid.

OP
OP
athertonbt

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interest on your loan (assuming 72 mos @ 2.43%) will be approximately $80 per month or up to $1,500 by the time your vehicle arrives.

Plus there is tax on a vehicle - that's largely a sunk cost. Ohio is 7.5% on $43k would be $3,225.

Then there is the depreciation on your truck. Which was $43k new. Even with the market as is - Nissans are one of the worst car manufacturers when it comes to depreciation - roughly 10% annually, but let's say the market helps you out and your vehicle only depreciates $2k.

To drive your Frontier until the Maverick arrives you have spent approximately $5,775 that you won't get back.

The math isn't - I bought something for 50, then traded it for something that cost 25 and the seller gave me a 10.........so I made out ahead!
I guess m
Interest on your loan (assuming 72 mos @ 2.43%) will be approximately $80 per month or up to $1,500 by the time your Maverick arrives.

Plus there is sales tax on a vehicle - that's largely a sunk cost. Ohio is 7.5% on $43k would be $3,225.

To drive your Frontier until the Maverick arrives you have spent approximately $5,775 that you won't get back. That does not include a likely higher insurance premium going from a 98 ranger to a 2022 frontier.

Definitely going to lose money vs. waiting on the original order without having spent anything. No disagreement on that. Looking at the life of the loan and the actual cost over 6 years, even with all the wasted money factored in, will still be

Again, don't disagree that I will have wasted some money. Believe me, my wife has laid that scenario out almost to the letter. But what would really be a waste is paying 50K+ (including interest) for a truck I don't want.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This was your first post. Was this the date of your Hybrid Order?

I ordered my Maverick Hybrid on Aug 23rd.

This was a false positive. It was badly worded and only meant a one week pause. The following week Hybrid's were again scheduled.

My Hybrid got scheduled on 9/16 just nine days after you changed to an EcoBoost.

So the holdup in not getting scheduled was having the non-spray-in bedliner (probably Hard Drop-in Bedliner? - Late Availability) on your order and not because it was a Hybrid.

So you now have a 2020 Ranger to tide you over until your Maverick gets delivered.

What!!! o_O

You now no longer have the 2020 Ranger and now bought a 2022 Nissan Frontier that you are not happy with.

And unless you placed your Hybrid XL Order before the 11/15 cutoff date you will be waiting until next June to really have an order and then it will be for MY2023 and probably won't have it until sometime in 2023.

In a span of 6 days (Sep 8-13) you flipped from a Hybrid to EcoBoost then bought a 2020 Ranger to tide you over even though you really wanted the Hybrid. Then to make matters worse you sold the 2020 Ranger for a 2022 Nissan Frontier that you are extremely unhappy with and now again placed an order for an XL Hybrid.

Ford Maverick Rolling the dice... dude-let-me-worship-you

wjg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Start practicing up on those math skills!

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, the drivetrain in the 1997 Ford Ranger was the issue. Because the used market is ridiculous, I was able to unload it for $4500.
Sep 13, 2021

Talked with my dealer this weekend and with their allocation I would most likely be looking at next year. Went to Carmax and got a 2020 Ranger 4wd with 18k miles for $28,000.
But you stated here that you bought a 2020 Ranger 4wd with 18k miles for $28,000 from Carmax.
Sponsored