First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang, Honda Type R, Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent, still waiting for my Maverick. the Dealer on the Island says I should get it by the end of June. looking forward to not having to disassemble my hydrofoil every time I take it out. That is the only way it fits into my Honda. I may still have to take it apart since I do not have a real garage at this home on the Island. I do have warm clear clean water year-round and pay almost nothing for water and trash service.
Sponsored

Attachments

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Keep us posted on your travels, if yours is not in by then, you can take a ride in mine :)
Thanks, Jim, I appreciate the offer. We're about 30 miles north of Bangor, but we get over to Eastport a couple of times a year and stay at a friend's B&B. I'm pretty sure we'll be heading west in September this year. If there's a change I'll let you know.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm doing pretty good over the last 2000mi, getting around 49mpg. One trick (in eco mode) is to go a bit faster than you intend to, hang there for a few seconds and lightly roll off of the throttle. In flat Florida this usually gets it into electric mode. As long as you don't tip in the throttle too hard it will say in electric mode.
Ford Maverick Rolling Average?  9,700 mile Review and Fuel Economy Check-In, Hybrid Lariat MavRick and Morty

MR NEAL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Hybrid Maverick Lariat
Here is my report at my first oil change. Pretty similar trip you and I drove a ton of highway miles.

Ford Maverick Rolling Average?  9,700 mile Review and Fuel Economy Check-In, Hybrid Lariat Resized_20220902_185915

OP
OP
Mach E CP

Mach E CP

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Conrad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat, 2021 Mach E Prem ExtAWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is my report at my first oil change. Pretty similar trip you and I drove a ton of highway miles.
Nice! We have similar electric-mode percentages. You're at 24.2% and I'm at 26.7% electric miles through 17,475 on my odo. I'm now up to 41.0 mpg lifetime on my trip odometer screen. This includes about 1-1/2 to 2 months of cold weather since I picked up our mav in mid-January.

The mav really likes the warm weather.

Sometime back, an MTC contributor referred to the dashboard fuel economy gauge as 'the lie meter,' so I recently decided to track the actual fuel economy from fill-ups. I keep a google sheet of all my fill-ups, and I stop when the pump clicks to shut off. I do not over fill. There is no need to. If you track enough data, and average it all, you reduce the variance/error of the initial fill and the last fill.

So far, my calculation of the measured-at-the-pump fuel economy:

Summer in Michigan
June 21 - September 13
6,894 miles driven (at least 50% hwy)
average fuel economy, 41.8 mpg !

This makes me very confident the Mav's lifetime trip-odometer fuel economy number is quite ACCURATE. I had 1-1/2 to 2 months of cold weather driving at about 37 to 38 mpg, and 7 months of warmer, spring and summer driving at around 41.8 mpg. The two months of cold plus the 7 months of warm would probably yield 41 mpg!

I do have to agree with the 'the lie meter' MTC contributor regarding inaccuracy on the fuel economy screen (which shows the 'rolling average' mpg). Currently, this number shows 44.3 mpg. I don't know how far back this fuel economy screen calculates, but probably not more than the 6,894 miles I drove this summer at 41.8 mpg (at-the-pump calculation).

Roughly, I'll estimate the rolling-average fuel economy screen is erroneously 6% high for my summer driving.

But overall, I'm stoked about the actual at-the-pump fuel economy, AND the accuracy of the lifetime trip odometer fuel economy reading!

Last edited:

Sponsored

AndrewinMD

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had with my very first tank of gas around 600 miles and i think around 44mpg. In the meantime I am close to 7k miles and until recently I used to get mpgs around 42. I recently had the dealership do the software update for rough idle. (https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...d-idle-surge-fix-software-update.12761/page-7)

Ever since they have done the update, it seems the mpg has gone down significantly. After the update, the gas engine kicks in much more often than before. It kicks in right after cold start, even when the temperature is decent. I still get pretty great mpg on the freeway but my city mpg has gone down significantly. Over the course of the last 6 or 700 miles I think my average mpg went down from 42 to 36, which sucks.

Retrospectively, I should not have done the software update. Did I have sometimes rough idle? Sure but it was never an issue for me. All people who had major issues with this were in the colder geographies. I live in california and don't think it would have been ever an issue.

Anyway, still love my truck!!
I realize that I'm responding to an older post, but I wanted to address the comment above about the ICE running after a cold start since I had a Fusion Hybrid for six years. The engine on that one, which operated very similarly to the Mav's system, would turn on the ICE almost immediately after a cold start as well, though if you were really gentle on the pedal, you could keep the electric going. If you needed anything more than minimal power though, it would switch to gas. And, once it kicked over to gas, it would stay there until the engine reached a particular temperature (for some reason, 200F sticks in my head -- may have read that somewhere, or I'm just hallucinating).

The Mav seems to work the same way. Also, the hybrid system will use electric in combination with gas right after a cold start, and you can feel the extra power. That characteristic annoys me to a degree because I'd rather save the battery capacity for when I can use the hybrid system normally, but I guess there's a reason they have it set that way because the Fusion did the same thing.

The Fusion's hybrid gauges/monitoring on the dashboard were better than the Maverick, with the exception of the braking bar that shows when you're exceeding regenerative braking. I'm not really sure why Ford downgraded the gauges when it's simply a software issue and not really cost related.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Mav seems to work the same way. Also, the hybrid system will use electric in combination with gas right after a cold start, and you can feel the extra power. That characteristic annoys me to a degree because I'd rather save the battery capacity for when I can use the hybrid system normally, but I guess there's a reason they have it set that way because the Fusion did the same thing.
They may do it to help warm up the battery as well. However that doesn't necessarily mean that it's using power from the battery. With the engine running it can be generating power and simultaneously routing some of it direct to the drive motor as well.
Sponsored