Sponsored

RIP to my Volvo. Post here if your car officially croaked while waiting for a Maverick

Jcj280

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of my beloved Volvo 940. I bought it in March last year for $2,000 (282,000 miles on it) with the intention of it being a short-term solution after finishing grad school. My Maverick (XLT Lux) was pre-ordered July 9th, 2021, and my only hope was that this blue hunk of Swedish metal would make it until I got the Maverick.

Whelp, with a month to go, it seems to have got a real bad case of the gremlins. Leaks everywhere, bad alternator, toast battery, and a bad fuel pump are making it difficult to justify fixing when a new car is so close. Still waiting on official confirmation from the repair shop, but unfortunately Rural Oregon doesn't have a lot of Volvo mechanics and they're practically working on a space ship as far as they're concerned. Honestly I'm pretty happy I got 1.25 years out of a $2,000 car and only needed a new water pump and oil changes, but it's been no fun driving a ticking time bomb while the months dragged on and on waiting for confirmation on the Maverick. Finally got build confirmation in late April, but since then they've delayed production twice to the week of June 6th, so I'm just praying I don't get another delay confirmation today. If it's built next week, it's looking like 4th of July ish for delivery and

Still stoked to get a Maverick, but the wait has been absolutely absurd, especially after being told "January at the very latest" when I bought it in July. Also buying a used car right now with prices as they are only to ditch it in a month is also absolutely absurd, so I've got a bicycle and a basket for groceries until Maverick day. Turns out living without a car in the sticks is rather complicated!

Didn't expect to still have this box in June 2022, but I wanted to honor what was a super rad car. That's my entire apartment packed inside and on top by the way. I'd love to keep it but money is tight, I have no idea what it's gonna cost to fix, and I just don't see the need to have two cars. Hoping to find a fellow Volvo enthusiast to pay $1500 for it and give it a good home, then use that for the down payment.

Anyways, if you are like me and you lost a vehicle while waiting for this damn Maverick, lets hear from you.

Ford Maverick RIP to my Volvo. Post here if your car officially croaked while waiting for a Maverick 00R0R_l7dIzf7sJBlz_0CI0lM_1200x900
Sponsored

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Definitely it marks the end of an era. As a guy with Swedish engineering education in brain and in heart, I believe Volvo 240/740/940 is the last TRUE Volvo with its iconic hard straight line style.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
crazy story: I got swept away in hurricane IDA on Sept 1, literally climbed out driver's window, rode SUV like a surfboard until I hit a tree-line at which point I got into the treetops and was stuck there overnight with water all around for about 4 hours. Borrowed an old van from my dad to give me time to research new vehicles. Really wanted a used RAM but my commute is too many miles to swing 17mpg on a good day. Discovered the Maverick and put an order in. Nobody really knew just how bad the situation was and dealer guesstimated 3 months. (Okay, so maybe they knew and lied... who knows.)

It's been 8 months now, and unfortunately my dad's van had catastrophic transmission failure and completely lost mobility in the middle of an intersection, leaving for a very awkward "who pays for this" situation. *Sidenote*: The van was inherited from HIS dad, so honestly neither one of us were responsible for the majority of the mileage on it and so we just split it.

I immediately gave back the van and want nothing to do with borrowing anyone's anything ever again, and purchased a used vehicle for more than it originally cost when new. Maverick finally being shipped now, and so I have about a month or two to decide which vehicle to swap as a trade-in.

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Definitely it marks the end of an era. As a guy with Swedish engineering education in brain and in heart, I believe Volvo 240/740/940 is the last TRUE Volvo with its iconic hard straight line style.
The Volvo 240 (in sedan or wagon version) was one of the coolest cars ever produced. Still see quite a few of them on the local roads.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My utmost condolences. May it rest in peace.

Sponsored

BuddyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 R Design & 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've got a 2019 XC60 T8 R. It's a freaking technological tour-de-force. (Plug-in Hybrid, Air suspension, Turbo, Supercharger, killer stereo) Absolutely bulleproof through its first 50K miles. Love the thing, and OP -- I'd love to adopt yours except I'm on the other size of the country and already have enough projects.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
crazy story: I got swept away in hurricane IDA on Sept 1, literally climbed out driver's window, rode SUV like a surfboard until I hit a tree-line at which point I got into the treetops and was stuck there overnight with water all around for about 4 hours. Borrowed an old van from my dad to give me time to research new vehicles. Really wanted a used RAM but my commute is too many miles to swing 17mpg on a good day. Discovered the Maverick and put an order in. Nobody really knew just how bad the situation was and dealer guesstimated 3 months. (Okay, so maybe they knew and lied... who knows.)

It's been 8 months now, and unfortunately my dad's van had catastrophic transmission failure and completely lost mobility in the middle of an intersection, leaving for a very awkward "who pays for this" situation. *Sidenote*: The van was inherited from HIS dad, so honestly neither one of us were responsible for the majority of the mileage on it and so we just split it.

I immediately gave back the van and want nothing to do with borrowing anyone's anything ever again, and purchased a used vehicle for more than it originally cost when new. Maverick finally being shipped now, and so I have about a month or two to decide which vehicle to swap as a trade-in.
That's one heck of a story! Glad you made it through both situations safely.

flyking1

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Hyundai Elantra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's not dead yet...but...

We have an Eco boost, AWD, Velocity Blue XLT on order, ordered 12/30/21, no VIN issued yet, but I spoke with Ford this week and they assure me that the dealer paperwork is in order. They tell me it will be built before the '23 model year begins. Oh, and we contracted to pay MSRP sticker price, no dealer add on, so that's cool given the current market.

But while we wait, we are trying hard to keep our 2002 Mazda B2300 (Ford Ranger with a Mazda nameplate) on the road. 167,000 miles, seats pretty torn up, got sideswiped in a parking lot hit and run a year ago (didn't do anything about that, you know, why bother at this point, and no longer carrying collision insurance on it.) Lots of money sunk into this thing in the last five years...new brake lines, new radiator and water pump, new clutch slave cylinder, suspension repairs, and have been chasing a check engine light for the last three years. New intake manifold, new mass airflow sensor, new intake manifold runner control, yada, yada, yada. We can't go more than about 20 miles without the light coming back on again. We were able to get the code cleared long enough to get it to pass inspection, and it still runs pretty well, so I figure we're good till next April as far as the state inspection is concerned. But you have to wonder when the next shoe will drop. We're at the point we just want to put another dime in it if we can avoid it.

So we are hoping the assembly line gods will bring us luck soon.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That's one heck of a story! Glad you made it through both situations safely.
I'm a lucky guy! I had 4 hours to think about how to make better decisions moving forward.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Back in the 1995 I almost purchased a new T850 wagon, but decided to stay with Caddys at that point, I think that was an error on my part. The Maverick is similar, a quick efficient turbo with the ability to haul stuff.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a lucky guy! I had 4 hours to think about how to make better decisions moving forward.
Along the lines of "no atheists in a foxhole".

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
If you’d just bought a 240 we wouldn’t be having to have this conversation. 🤣
Seriously

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not dead yet...but...

We have an Eco boost, AWD, Velocity Blue XLT on order, ordered 12/30/21, no VIN issued yet, but I spoke with Ford this week and they assure me that the dealer paperwork is in order. They tell me it will be built before the '23 model year begins. Oh, and we contracted to pay MSRP sticker price, no dealer add on, so that's cool given the current market.

But while we wait, we are trying hard to keep our 2002 Mazda B2300 (Ford Ranger with a Mazda nameplate) on the road. 167,000 miles, seats pretty torn up, got sideswiped in a parking lot hit and run a year ago (didn't do anything about that, you know, why bother at this point, and no longer carrying collision insurance on it.) Lots of money sunk into this thing in the last five years...new brake lines, new radiator and water pump, new clutch slave cylinder, suspension repairs, and have been chasing a check engine light for the last three years. New intake manifold, new mass airflow sensor, new intake manifold runner control, yada, yada, yada. We can't go more than about 20 miles without the light coming back on again. We were able to get the code cleared long enough to get it to pass inspection, and it still runs pretty well, so I figure we're good till next April as far as the state inspection is concerned. But you have to wonder when the next shoe will drop. We're at the point we just want to put another dime in it if we can avoid it.

So we are hoping the assembly line gods will bring us luck soon.
Fingers crossed! I had same Mazda PU with a 7 foot bed and that thing was a warrior. Nice thing about using that truck was not having to "baby" it as I do the Maverick. Used the Mazda to pick up firewood one wintry day and the yard worker was gently placing each log into the bed. "Look", I said. "I appreciate you trying not to scratch the bed, (which had already been pretty well beaten up), but this is a truck; just throw the wood in there so I can be off"!

vabchusa

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 2015 Cmax has fallen victim of KNOWN eCVT trans problems shortly after my extended warranty expired. I did have a Carshield warranty in place but they found some droplets of trans fluid on the bottom of the engine, the claim was refused. $8500 to replace trans (not repairable) on a $ 6000 car was not worth it. It still drives fine and get 44 mpg, just not reliable enough for my courier runs.

sanpablo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Shelby GT500, 1999 Ford Windstar
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of my beloved Volvo 940. I bought it in March last year for $2,000 (282,000 miles on it) with the intention of it being a short-term solution after finishing grad school. My Maverick (XLT Lux) was pre-ordered July 9th, 2021, and my only hope was that this blue hunk of Swedish metal would make it until I got the Maverick.

Whelp, with a month to go, it seems to have got a real bad case of the gremlins. Leaks everywhere, bad alternator, toast battery, and a bad fuel pump are making it difficult to justify fixing when a new car is so close. Still waiting on official confirmation from the repair shop, but unfortunately Rural Oregon doesn't have a lot of Volvo mechanics and they're practically working on a space ship as far as they're concerned. Honestly I'm pretty happy I got 1.25 years out of a $2,000 car and only needed a new water pump and oil changes, but it's been no fun driving a ticking time bomb while the months dragged on and on waiting for confirmation on the Maverick. Finally got build confirmation in late April, but since then they've delayed production twice to the week of June 6th, so I'm just praying I don't get another delay confirmation today. If it's built next week, it's looking like 4th of July ish for delivery and

Still stoked to get a Maverick, but the wait has been absolutely absurd, especially after being told "January at the very latest" when I bought it in July. Also buying a used car right now with prices as they are only to ditch it in a month is also absolutely absurd, so I've got a bicycle and a basket for groceries until Maverick day. Turns out living without a car in the sticks is rather complicated!

Didn't expect to still have this box in June 2022, but I wanted to honor what was a super rad car. That's my entire apartment packed inside and on top by the way. I'd love to keep it but money is tight, I have no idea what it's gonna cost to fix, and I just don't see the need to have two cars. Hoping to find a fellow Volvo enthusiast to pay $1500 for it and give it a good home, then use that for the down payment.

Anyways, if you are like me and you lost a vehicle while waiting for this damn Maverick, lets hear from you.

00R0R_l7dIzf7sJBlz_0CI0lM_1200x900.jpg
That's a nice clean Volvo, too bad :-(
My Mav will replace my wife's old 1999 Ford Windstar which runs well but is getting crusty.
My sister-in-law had a couple of Volvos which served her well but as they got older seemed to always need something. She had a great local independent Volvo mechanic.
Sponsored