Sponsored

Ride Quality Inquiry… rough, harsh or choppy?

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey all,

I’ve heard reviews talk about Maverick having a rough suspension / ride quality.

Is this true? I know it isn’t a luxury car, but curious if it is harsh or choppy like an a cheap-o car.
Sponsored

AnchorChain

First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 XLT, 2019 Rav4
I’ve only test drove one on a normal city road. Felt nicely planted and took a you turn well and Norma turns well. I really like the turn radius.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Hey all,

I’ve heard reviews talk about Maverick having a rough suspension / ride quality.

Is this true? I know it isn’t a luxury car, but curious if it is harsh or choppy like an a cheap-o car.
That’s bullshit. Is it a Mercedes? Hell no, but it’s a nice ride. The real deal is that it‘s a decent ride, actually a good ride for the price and a truck. If you are comparing to a luxury car you will be disappointed, if you are comparing it to anything in the Maverick price range you will be amazed.
My opinion, it’s smooth and quick. I have a blast driving mine.

AeroMech21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT (Carbonized Grey)
Coming from a 1996/2002 Ford Ranger, and in addition right before I got my Maverick, a 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 4X4 rental for a month... this truck feels very nice to me. It drives more like a sporty truck/car than a big truck does. To me it feels similar to the Tacoma I had for a month, just a little smaller with better handling due to size. Now I haven't driven mine off road for any length of time yet, but overall a very nice ride for me. Also... not sure what the deal is with the truck being "noisy" but mine is very quiet.

Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Honestly the ride is a little more harsh than I would have thought, but its not terrible. I think it was a little less harsh with the OEM Continental tires and it felt more like an SUV. It got more harsh with the 245's and 1 inch front lift I put on it, but it rides higher and feels more solid like a truck now. That is what I was going for. It has a very similar feel to my old 2012 Chevy Colorado. In fact, I actually got a flash-back feeling the other day of being in my 2012 Colorado while driving the Maverick.

Last edited:

MadMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick fx4 lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the ride is great, I traded a 4x4 Colorado for mine and the different is crazy, didn’t realize how harsh / trucky the rado drove . Maverick is very comfortable. I have a lariat

Ford Maverick Ride Quality Inquiry… rough, harsh or choppy? 2952D16F-6D98-48D4-8C0A-ADD771CE3496

CMFX4

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Forte Koup
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ride is super smooth to me, feels similar to my old crown Vic, I was honestly shocked how smooth it was because of people bashing the ride quality. I’m also coming from a Kia that was horrible on bumps. Love the ride quality personally

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the ride is great, I traded a 4x4 Colorado for mine and the different is crazy, didn’t realize how harsh / trucky the rado drove . Maverick is very comfortable. I have a lariat

2952D16F-6D98-48D4-8C0A-ADD771CE3496.jpeg
Hated the ride of my Colorado.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Rides good. Flat in turns. Not luxury. Kind of sports car like. Very fun to drive. Nothing like a leaf spring truck.

Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Soft rides are give (handling) and take (comfort). Here are some steps from simple to complex that could help the Maverick from stock.

1. Check the PSI of the tires and compare to the rating in the door. Getting this right will help your ride. You could even lower it 3 PSI for a softer ride. Not sure how to adjust TPMS’s.
2. Add weight to the cabin
3. Try lighter weight wheels
4. Probably more helpful than wheels, install softer struts. Both combined should help even more.
5. Lighter weight drive shafts, sway bar links, tires, various suspension parts.

Avoid
1. Lowering/raising the truck
2. Wide and/or fat tires and run flats
3. Heavier suspension components including wheels.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
You're not driving a marshmallow, a sports car, or an old ranger, it is a crossover with a bed and it drives like it. Picture an escape, make it slightly stiffer and much longer. That's how it drives.

She's got dat canoe 🛶 feel - long and narrow.

The ride is better than the fit and finish of the car, which does skew budget.

Mllombardi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL
Engine
Undecided
You're not driving a marshmallow, a sports car, or an old ranger, it is a crossover with a bed and it drives like it. Picture an escape, make it slightly stiffer and much longer. That's how it drives.

She's got dat canoe 🛶 feel - long and narrow.

The ride is better than the fit and finish of the car, which does skew budget.
Agree. No not a sports car but it does indeed turn flatter than anything I’d previously owned and it’s a very agreeable ride for me. I’ve never found it harsh or choppy as described but we can all imagine that everyone is comparing the ride to something.
I can’t see it being categorized as having any kind of poorly balanced suspension.

staryoshi

First Name
SJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Chevrolet Colorado
Agree. No not a sports car but it does indeed turn flatter than anything I’d previously owned and it’s a very agreeable ride for me. I’ve never found it harsh or choppy as described but we can all imagine that everyone is comparing the ride to something.
I can’t see it being categorized as having any kind of poorly balanced suspension.
I probably should have included in my description that 'long crossover' is a compliment :D
Sponsored