First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I currently live 3 miles down a dirt road. My Ram has gotten pretty beaten up along the bottom edge and backs of the wheel wells, it has no film or anything to protect the paint from rocks. With that said, my girlfriends vehicle does have a film along the bottom edge and after three years of driving the dirt road her vehicle has some paint chipping. I see Ford offers a protective film for the hood and fenders, but I am thinking of having rhino liner paint matched and sprayed along the bottom couple inches to prevent paint chipping issues. Any thoughts? Was thinking of doing it to my current Ram but since it just got the snot beaten out of it by hail its pretty pointless.
Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't Rhinoliner permanent? I'm not sure I'd put something permanent (and hard to make look nice) to protect my paint. I have seen some off road vehicles with the body panels painted with rhino liner or similar, but it looked a bit rough.

If it was me, I'd probably add the protective flaps, a protective film, or maybe put a couple layers of plastidip on it (which isn't as protective as rhino liner but looks better and comes off). I'd then get a little bottle of touch up paint and use it when necessary.

Edit: looking into it, it seems that Line X now makes a version of their product that's thinner than the bed liner for body applications. It might be the ticket if you like the textured look

OP
OP

BigT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah Rhino Liner is permanent. Just hate to get a new truck and get it all chipped up. Other than that I suppose I could drive really slow down the dirt road, LOL. I'll look into Plastidip though, thanks!

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah Rhino Liner is permanent. Just hate to get a new truck and get it all chipped up. Other than that I suppose I could drive really slow down the dirt road, LOL. I'll look into Plastidip though, thanks!
I edited after you replied, but it looks like Line X now has a product that is aimed at body panel protection that is thinner than the bed liner and so easier to make look good on body panels. It's still textured - which I imagine would hold dust and dirt - but it would be easier to avoid the lumpy look if you want something permanent.

OP
OP

BigT

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I edited after you replied, but it looks like Line X now has a product that is aimed at body panel protection that is thinner than the bed liner and so easier to make look good on body panels. It's still textured - which I imagine would hold dust and dirt - but it would be easier to avoid the lumpy look if you want something permanent.
mill have to look at that. Not sure if the local businesses that do it are Rhino Lining or LineX. Thanks.

Sponsored

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would vote more for flaps that deflect the road rocks. If you get chips in any sort of liner, you may get water penetration under the surrounding paint/line-x-coating and it will just fester and eventually fail. A thin, waxy coating, not car wax, but a thicker wax, can protect and will not let water get underneath at the damaged area.
tom

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
It's still textured - which I imagine would hold dust and dirt
That's why you power wash them parts. It gets all the nooks and crannies clean.
Sponsored