First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay! Let's back up a couple decades. First; is it hypermiling or hypermilling you are talking about ? It has been spelled both ways in these posts.
Second; however you spell it, what is it?
Must be why I bought the 2.0L EcoBoost!
drafting/slow take offs/coasting whenever lights/stop signs and when possible/fully inflated tires
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
drafting/slow take offs/coasting whenever lights/stop signs and when possible/fully inflated tires
About those hypermilers...

Here's a typical scenario. I usually turn out of my neighborhood onto a fairly major street about a block from a traffic light. Sometimes I see a car coming and it's too fast and close for me to pull out in front of it, so I wait for it to go by. But the closer it gets to me, the slower it travels. It's still too close for me to pull out, so I wait some more. And it slows down even more, but never enough for me to pull out in front of it. Then the light changes and it starts speeding up, but by then the next wave of cars has caught up from behind it, so I wait some more.

Thank you so much, hypermilers. I needed some time to sit and think. But you don't want to know what I'm thinking...

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
About those hypermilers...

Here's a typical scenario. I usually turn out of my neighborhood onto a fairly major street about a block from a traffic light. Sometimes I see a car coming and it's too fast and close for me to pull out in front of it, so I wait for it to go by. But the closer it gets to me, the slower it travels. It's still too close for me to pull out, so I wait some more. And it slows down even more, but never enough for me to pull out in front of it. Then the light changes and it starts speeding up, but by then the next wave of cars has caught up from behind it, so I wait some more.

Thank you so much, hypermilers. I needed some time to sit and think. But you don't want to know what I'm thinking...
Typical.....? I don't think so...first of all a tiny tiny percentage of folks "hypermile"....BUT...do you EXPECT people to FLOOR it up to the light because you are waiting to pull out...? That is JUST as selfish as a hypermiler slowing down so much to make you wait.

Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
(Late replies)

Like with my 5.0 F150, I’ve gotten near 30mpg hand calc tanks a couple times with nearly all 40mph backroads with few stops.
On my previous commute, I found that it was more fuel-efficient to take a 55mph country road with a couple traffic lights than stay on the freeway. Both routes took nearly the same amount of time. The freeway route was longer but you could obviously drive faster.

I am not 100% sure but now I think eco mode may change throttle response/gearing as well as to force you into driving more economically
I drove an '18 F-150 5.0L and a '19 F-150 3.5L EB for a few thousand miles each (rentals). In Eco mode, the trans would shift as quickly as possible to top gear. Like, I'd be going 45mph in 10th gear at barely above idle speed. It was also more aggressive with the auto-start stop, and throttle response noticeably slowed.

Conversely, in Sport mode, the trans would shift no higher than 8th gear, auto start stop was cancelled, throttle response was faster, and the trans would hold gears nearly to redline, even with only moderate throttle input.

Tow-Haul mode landed somewhere in the middle. I drove around in Eco mode 99% of the time, which was more than adequate to keep up with traffic.

But anyway, getting 50+ MPG in a little pickup is dang impressive. I used to ride a motorcycle that didn't even get 50 MPG. Heck, even comparing it to my then-30 MPG car, saving any money at all with the motorcycle would've been a bonus. My air-cooled thumper had pretty short service intervals. Not to mention the up-front investment in gear and farkles negated about a couple years' of fuel savings.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Typical.....? I don't think so...first of all a tiny tiny percentage of folks "hypermile"....BUT...do you EXPECT people to FLOOR it up to the light because you are waiting to pull out...? That is JUST as selfish as a hypermiler slowing down so much to make you wait.
Typical for hypermilers. If you didn't understand that from my post I'm sorry, but the first line of the post was "About those hypermilers..." Not sure how I could have made it any clearer for you.

And thanks for creating a straw man, but no, I don't "EXPECT people to FLOOR it up to the light." I'm sure you know the difference between (1) how people normally approach a light that is a block away and (2) the kind of hypermiler coasting/slowing I'm talking about. After all, you mentioned it yourself in your description of hypermiling.

Last edited:

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is that average MPG? Mixed driving?
I have seen 51 mixed in mine. The other day I did 38 miles and half was highway I returned 48.5

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have seen 51 mixed in mine. The other day I did 38 miles and half was highway I returned 48.5
I may have missed it, did you get other hybrid?

Sponsored
OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reactions: Aza

getoffmylawn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 F250 7.3, 97 BMW 328i Conv, 12 Kia Soul 1.6
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got my hybrid on Feb. 16, did my 1st fillup last Monday. 555 [email protected] gal = 41.1. My dash indicator was showing 40.8. 80% hilly/twisty backroads, twice in town and 70 mph highway runs. With 180 on the ODO now, showing 44.5. Well see how it averages over 3-4 tank fulls.
BTW, I don't poke on backroads.
Sponsored