First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL, there are glass half empty and glass half full people. Some people would read that and see that driving normally he got less than Ford's estimated 37mpg combined fuel economy. Others would read that and appreciate that hypermiling is possible to exceed the estimate.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL, there are glass half empty and glass half full people. Some people would read that and see that driving normally he got less than Ford's estimated 37mpg combined fuel economy. Others would read that and appreciate that hypermiling is possible to exceed the estimate.
That is a huge exceed. Huge. Even hypermiling. Only a few people didn't hit 49 and that was on normal and sport modes. All who used eco got 40

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
That is a huge exceed. Huge. Even hypermiling. ...
Not really... All you need is a change in altitude.
Ford Maverick Reviewer got 51 MPG from hypermilling the hybrid Maverick IMG_20210418_153032_sm

FWIW, I averaged almost 40 mph down that hilly terrain. Mileage is nothing without knowing the speed. 51 MPG isn't hard at 30 mph; the hybrid drivetrain is made for pulse-and-glide operation.

Just don't expect that as a tank average without trying hard.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a huge exceed. Huge. Even hypermiling. Only a few people didn't hit 49 and that was on normal and sport modes. All who used eco got 40
So should we to take away from this don't drive in Eco mode but Normal/Sport mode?

Sponsored

Harleystreetbob

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
harley electra glide maverick hybrid xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not all hypermilling tecniques will apply to the hybrid mav, look up some of them,some of the hyper milling braking tecniques to avoid may actually somewhat benefit the hybrid mav as it has regenerative braking

Nightowl

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just don't expect that as a tank average without trying hard.
Oh I'll be trying hard. 😉 This old man is looking forward to driving like one.

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro, soon to be Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Not all hypermilling tecniques will apply to the hybrid mav, look up some of them,some of the hyper milling braking tecniques to avoid may actually somewhat benefit the hybrid mav as it has regenerative braking
Using the energy to coast is still more efficient than recapturing it via braking. You might go to other hybrid forums to talk to hypermilers there, but the techniques are largely the same as any other. Regaining electric also occurs when coasting in drive, and it feels a lot like engine braking.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Should still apply. Regenerative braking can never 100% capture and restore all of the energy lost, just some. Laws of thermodynamics remind us "you can never even break even". ;)

CnG guy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat First Ed Hybrid, Carbonized
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ive driven Hybrids for 12 years (prius, fusion). Obviously downhill makes 50-60mpg easy on any trip. Also summer blend gas (non ethanol where available), can get you 10% better mileage and of course dont turn on any fans (heat or AC). Stop and go traffic sucks less when you get 50mpg. I can believe 50 mpg on a select trip from point A-B but back to A should be included in any honest assessment.

Sponsored

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
Couple points that stick out to me….

1) no mention if that mpg was hand calculated or just going by the display. I consider the mpg display in every ford I’ve ever driven a true lie-o-meter as they always seem to be about 10% optimistic…and I’m not an aggressive or lead foot driver either.

2) As others have mentioned, you can get great mpg in a lot of vehicles when driven in unusual conditions. Like with my 5.0 F150, I’ve gotten near 30mpg hand calc tanks a couple times with nearly all 40mph backroads with few stops. I damn sure don’t get anywhere near that with normal everyday driving though…more like 15-16mpg per tank, or around 21 give or take a couple depending on speed and wind on interstate trips.

Regardless, if these get 40 city high 30’s highway in the real world…which judging by what’s out there now it appears they should…that is quite impressive as it is for the type vehicle which is nothing to complain about!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
well I drive about 6 miles a day all under 35 mph so I hope to hit the better end of the mpg scale
Too bad they don't make an EV for your needs, that would be ideal for such short trips where you can barely get a engine warm. Maybe even a plugin-hybrid if it has enough range.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Couple points that stick out to me….

1) no mention if that mpg was hand calculated or just going by the display. I consider the mpg display in every ford I’ve ever driven a true lie-o-meter as they always seem to be about 10% optimistic…and I’m not an aggressive or lead foot driver either.

2) As others have mentioned, you can get great mpg in a lot of vehicles when driven in unusual conditions. Like with my 5.0 F150, I’ve gotten near 30mpg hand calc tanks a couple times with nearly all 40mph backroads with few stops. I damn sure don’t get anywhere near that with normal everyday driving though…more like 15-16mpg per tank, or around 21 give or take a couple depending on speed and wind on interstate trips.

Regardless, if these get 40 city high 30’s highway in the real world…which judging by what’s out there now it appears they should…that is quite impressive as it is for the type vehicle which is nothing to complain about!
Add no hills, 60 mph max on highway and ZERO use of HVAC functions :)

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Too bad they don't make an EV for your needs, that would be ideal for such short trips where you can barely get a engine warm. Maybe even a plugin-hybrid if it has enough range.
A golf cart at those speeds and ranges would probably work :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored