Sponsored

(RESOLVED) NEED HELP Dealership adding on extra items I did not order and it is against the law in Florida.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Okay, here is what you do. Stop dealing with them over the phone and switch to email for documentation purposes, get what they are claiming the total is and have them itemize everything.

Now, tell them you will finance with the dealership, if they remove or lower/remove some of the cost. Once you take ownership, instantly pay off the loan and leave a nasty review, on how you were extorted by the dealership!
Watch out for instantly paying off the loan. Some will have a sizeable prepayment penalty in first one to three years but could be anything you accept to do when you sign the loan. Also consider getting approval for your loan before going to dealer as they can get a "commission/referral fee" from lenders for choosing them. Lots of possibilities out there. One to consider is farm bureau. It's more than just the $500 rebate from Ford. Think of it as a discount avenue. In addition to Ford's rebate other certificates are available for other products. Also others participate, lenders, insurance, hotels, motels, +++++! Go to farm bureau web site and check out. Go to them first. Have to be a member to get certificates BEFORE buying/ordering certificates!
Sponsored

ogt

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 3500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
ok I just want to say this is way messed up that the dealership has done you ; or anyone like this, but we all know that is how a lot of dealerships do business. that being said ( and I want my mav really bad as well ) they have you over a barrel if you want the mav that much pay what they want if not please remember it's just a small truck you have lived without it for 15 months and everything is ok . the question you have to ask is how bad do you want it. personally I will walk over $0.25 just like my dad taught me . true story

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

tough to have waited.

I walked away from two dealerships as I was attempting to order the Maverick in September. I didn't want to risk being taken advantage of on the phone or over the internet and so wanted to go in person to the dealerships. With the order banks being open so few days... my opportunity was that Tuesday... when they closed the order banks. I had the same kind of experience... scotch gaurd, paint protection, 2 windows tinted, nitrogen in tires. about $1800+ .

i was just unwilling to be forced to add those unnecessary items on a vehicle where I was already adding allot of equipment and options. for me, it was the attitude of the dealerships... and their claim that they were protecting 'their investment for when I returned to trade it in at a later date'... no concern for what I wanted as a customer... they insinuated that I was cheap and probably didn't want the truck anyway. crazy... I had the price lists, order guides, every piece of equipment documented (part number and price) that I wanted on a printed spreadsheet that I brought it... of course I wanted to order the truck.

A 3rd dealer did not require them... but we ran out of time... order banks closed before he could get the order in (y'all recall the computers slowing down those final hours)... So, I stood by my principles, and it did cost me the opportunity to order a Maverick with those first two arrogant dealerships.

I'd walk again. I work hard for my money. I won't be treated that way.

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The messed up thing is that they actually want you to walk away and they have a signed doc that says you are good with the add on garbage fees. Dealer has all the leverage here so best thing, if you want the truck, is to try and get them to lower the crap pack and light them up in reviews and everywhere you can to warn others, there is a map/website out there that lists the good and bad ford dealers, get them on there.

John_Sawgrass_Ford

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Platinum, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sorry to hear that OP,
The unfortunate thing is that if you don't take that vehicle from them they will sell it in a heartbeat. I work at a South Florida Dealership we have no dealer fees and no markups on ordered units. I have heard many stories like this. You have to read what you sign.
I suggest going physically going to the dealership and speaking to the GM. Maybe getting them to lower the cost of this package to make it worth while for you.

Sponsored

boe757

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150, camry,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would say walk, but I'm not in your shoes, an attorney is unlikely to help, but it may be worth a chat. If you need the truck your stuck, if you can wait for another 12 months most likely there will be additional choices. File a complaint with your State AG office, Federal trade commission and online reviews and Ford. or swallow hard and pay the extra, see if you can flip it and stop by with a ya ya ya ya yaya. Auto dealers are the new TV repairmen, tough to find a good one.

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
NEED HELP. Ok I have a problem with my dealer and my truck has arrived at the train yard. I have been tracking my Mav and I went to my dealership to get a final number so I can get a cashiers check to pay for it. During the time I have been waiting for the truck my salesperson has left the dealership so I have been dealing with the assistant general manager and when my truck rolled over to a 23 I have not seen nor gotten an out the door price. So went in last week to get that info and the manager was not in as he was sick. Later on I got phone call from a saleman I have never even talked to who said he was my salesman. First thing out of his mouth was do you want to sell your Mav. I told him no and that all I wanted was the final number so I could get a cashiers check. So a while later I got a email that indicated that my final price was 6K over what I had orgainally agreed to and had in wrinting for the 22 model. It turns out he did not apply my private offer and more egregiously had added what they called a Pro Pack to the tune of $3200 with no notation of what this even was or included. When he was confronted with my objection he said don't your read what you sign. What I later found out what he was talking about was a document that informed me that I would have 7 days to accept the truck once it was prepped. There was a line that said "All of our new cars receive a dealer "add ons" accessory package that is added in addition to the agreed upon price of your order". I found and complained to the general manager and he too said you signed for this but ""agreed" to lower the price to $2200. He had still not told me what pig was in this poke.When pressed the items were spray in liner (which he removed from my order with out agreement from me when it rolled over for $895, window tinting $495, Locking lugnuts to protect my steelies (what a joke) $115, Floor mats $150, Door edge guards 125, Anti theft tailgate lock (costs $20 plus $10 to install) for a whopping $375, Nitrogen for my tires @ $90 for a scam that tire shops have been pushing for years that have no effect on tire performance. Aftere doing a little reseach I found that the law that regulates car dealers has a clause that reads "Requirement by any motor vehicle dealer that a customer or purchaser accept equipment on his or her motor vehicle which was not ordered by the customer or purchaser." My question to you is should I take this $2200 theft of my money. What would you do?]
I ran into the same thing except it was called an ADM (additional dealer markup) and they can do this and get away with it or you can walk away and wait a few years for inventory to catch up with demand. Ford corporation has no real control in this matter and has spoken out against it on all Ford products. Ford Corp gets none of the profits of these additional markups. I almost walked away but I figured if I did I would likely not get one for at least three years and with price increases it would cost me even more. It did make me very unhappy about what should have been a happy experience and tarnishes Ford for not doing more to prevent stealing from their customers.

mr mojo risen

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 VW Passat, 2015 Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ran into the same thing except it was called an ADM (additional dealer markup) and they can do this and get away with it or you can walk away and wait a few years for inventory to catch up with demand. Ford corporation has no real control in this matter and has spoken out against it on all Ford products. Ford Corp gets none of the profits of these additional markups. I almost walked away but I figured if I did I would likely not get one for at least three years and with price increases it would cost me even more. It did make me very unhappy about what should have been a happy experience and tarnishes Ford for not doing more to prevent stealing from their customers.
I have a 23 Mav on order, the only documentation I have is the signed order sheet. I made it clear to the sales manager that I don't want any extra add-ons without my permission.

As far as I know, my order hasn't even previewed yet, but reading these stories makes me nervous about how my taking delivery of my order will go down. Bottom line - buying a vehicle is frankly an unpleasant experience - I've had major dental work done a few times in my life, and I would rather go through that again than go through the bullshit these dealers/salesmen/finance managers put people through.

Rant over, not directed at you Pony.....

Ponyprez

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang 2+2, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2015 Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 23 Mav on order, the only documentation I have is the signed order sheet. I made it clear to the sales manager that I don't want any extra add-ons without my permission.

As far as I know, my order hasn't even previewed yet, but reading these stories makes me nervous about how my taking delivery of my order will go down. Bottom line - buying a vehicle is frankly an unpleasant experience - I've had major dental work done a few times in my life, and I would rather go through that again than go through the bullshit these dealers/salesmen/finance managers put people through.

Rant over, not directed at you Pony.....
No issues here and I wish you the best with your purchase, may your dealership have more scruples than mine. I had also asked my salesperson at time of my order if they would try and do any markup and he gave me a non answer that I thought meant no upcharges. This small town dealership never gave me any tracking information and like I said, I was shocked when they told me mine had arrived as I thought I had a less than 50/50 chance and they hid the upcharge until I was in the finance office with my cashiers check. I feel a bit like a sucker but I have to admit that I do love my Hybrid so far and someday I will know how to work everything.

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was not advocating filing a lawsuit, but a letter from an attorney, or perhaps a simple phone call from one with the threat of a lawsuit would lead them to negotiate the fees down or eliminate them completely.

I once had a traffic ticket that could have endangered my approval to drive for work. I called a few attorneys who all spoke to me free and with their collective advice, I handled it in court on my own and all was well. Within 5 minutes they should be able to tell you if you have a case or not and why.

I've also had another incident where a scary letter from an attorney made the other party back down and walk away and it only cost maybe $200.

Sponsored

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here's the question I would ask an attorney to answer:

Can a dealership effectively enforce a "blank check" clause that obligates you to purchase undefined products at unstated prices as part of the order process?

That's what I got from what you apparently signed. I don't think the add-on products were listed or priced, so that's where I'd start with an attorney, in addition to notifying the dealership that they are not to sell, or otherwise dispose of, your ordered vehicle.

OP
OP

roontoon

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van and suv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Problem has been resolved. I called the manager who previously had broken down the items in the package as well as the cost. I "calmly" went through each item and told him if I thought the price was fair and if I didn't think so I showed him how off in price he was on each item. Talked about not liking how this was dropped on me last minute, explained how his "clause" was unenforceable (checked with a lawyer friend), and also explained the law in Florida made it a crime to force options on customers that don't want them. After that I treated it as a point where I could negotiate a better deal on the options, many of which I did want. Long story short they reduced the option package by 50% and received a fully signed order by the dealer. Delivery very soon. Truck just got off the train in Tampa today. Can't wait.

Maverick Life

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Problem has been resolved. I called the manager who previously had broken down the items in the package as well as the cost. I "calmly" went through each item and told him if I thought the price was fair and if I didn't think so I showed him how off in price he was on each item. Talked about not liking how this was dropped on me last minute, explained how his "clause" was unenforceable (checked with a lawyer friend), and also explained the law in Florida made it a crime to force options on customers that don't want them. After that I treated it as a point where I could negotiate a better deal on the options, many of which I did want. Long story short they reduced the option package by 50% and received a fully signed order by the dealer. Delivery very soon. Truck just got off the train in Tampa today. Can't wait.
Glad you were able to get this resolved but sorry it had to be a headache. Thanks for updating us with your approach. Enjoy the truck!

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Glad to hear you got this resolved and will get your truck. Hopefully you won't be going anywhere near that dealership when service is due!

JoeTime

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
NEED HELP. Ok I have a problem with my dealer and my truck has arrived at the train yard. I have been tracking my Mav and I went to my dealership to get a final number so I can get a cashiers check to pay for it. During the time I have been waiting for the truck my salesperson has left the dealership so I have been dealing with the assistant general manager and when my truck rolled over to a 23 I have not seen nor gotten an out the door price. So went in last week to get that info and the manager was not in as he was sick. Later on I got phone call from a saleman I have never even talked to who said he was my salesman. First thing out of his mouth was do you want to sell your Mav. I told him no and that all I wanted was the final number so I could get a cashiers check. So a while later I got a email that indicated that my final price was 6K over what I had orgainally agreed to and had in wrinting for the 22 model. It turns out he did not apply my private offer and more egregiously had added what they called a Pro Pack to the tune of $3200 with no notation of what this even was or included. When he was confronted with my objection he said don't your read what you sign. What I later found out what he was talking about was a document that informed me that I would have 7 days to accept the truck once it was prepped. There was a line that said "All of our new cars receive a dealer "add ons" accessory package that is added in addition to the agreed upon price of your order". I found and complained to the general manager and he too said you signed for this but ""agreed" to lower the price to $2200. He had still not told me what pig was in this poke.When pressed the items were spray in liner (which he removed from my order with out agreement from me when it rolled over for $895, window tinting $495, Locking lugnuts to protect my steelies (what a joke) $115, Floor mats $150, Door edge guards 125, Anti theft tailgate lock (costs $20 plus $10 to install) for a whopping $375, Nitrogen for my tires @ $90 for a scam that tire shops have been pushing for years that have no effect on tire performance. Aftere doing a little reseach I found that the law that regulates car dealers has a clause that reads "Requirement by any motor vehicle dealer that a customer or purchaser accept equipment on his or her motor vehicle which was not ordered by the customer or purchaser." My question to you is should I take this $2200 theft of my money. What would you do?]
Yes. For one you could sell it for more, on your own. You at least would take the more jacked up $'s from the dealer when he sold it to someone else himself. Or you could keep it (it's a great truck) and spread your "headache" on any social media platform that you can use. And make sure you name the dealership so as to spare someone else from your experience.
Sponsored