Sponsored

Resolved: Hybrid - Difficulty "creeping" the last few inches into my garage...

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK, MTC braintrust, I need your help. My garage is very small - the Maverick barely fits. I have a large rubber "stopper" so I know when I'm in far enough to clear the overhead door, but to NOT hit the wall in front of me. My driveway is fairly steep, so I have to let off the throttle when the front wheels bump over the "lip" at the edge of the garage, lest I plow into the garage's back wall...

The challenge I'm experiencing is that I can't figure out how to make the Maverick consistently just "creep" forward. If I'm going slow enough that the "stopper" will actually stop the truck, the little lip at the front edge of the garage will also cause it to stop when the rear wheels hit it... If I'm going fast enough so the rear wheels roll over the bump, it's fast enough that I either smack into the rubber stopper hard enough to make it slide a bit, or I have to tap the brakes, which immediately stops the Maverick, and engages the "AutoHold" to prevent the vehicle from accidentally moving. Unfortunately, it takes a bit of throttle to disengage AutoHold, and then the truck "surges" forward. Out on the road, this isn't noticeable, but when you're 6" from the wall between the garage and your bedroom, it's damned scary!

I'm looking for a way to disengage the AutoHold without causing other issues, so I can "creep" forward the last few inches... The manual lists several ways to cause the system to switch off:
  • Use active park assist (what is that?) (probably wouldn't work, since I'm not parallel parking)
  • Keep the vehicle in neutral mode (tried it, didn't work for me)
  • Driver door open (puts the transmission into Park)
  • Seatbelt unfastened (tried it, didn't work for me)
  • Shift into Reverse before the system is active (can't creep forward in reverse)
Anyone have any ideas / suggestions?
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a block of dense foam on the wall I park against. It was from a kayak roof rack set. So once the Mav settles against that I put on the parking brake and I'm set.
I have it about even with the Ford emblem.

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Auto Hold can be disengaged by pressing the button. The one with the hand

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks, everyone! I don't know how I missed that after spending hours digging through the manual looking for a way to do it... I was even right there on that very page when I typed "The manual lists several ways to cause the system to switch off". One column to the left! Sheesh!

Sponsored

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I bought. Solid rubber - very heavy. Almost 5" tall, so you know when you hit it!

Plus, I've got some "stuff" in front of the Maverick that might cause damage to the Mav's paint if I plow into it...

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How about a little gravel at the doors threshold to minimize the lip catching you back tires. (Assumes the drive is not paved).

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hardly ever use Auto Hold but am really cramped putting 2 cars and 2 motorcycles in a 2-car garage. If I go too far, I hit a new Motorcycle. If I am too far to the right, I hit a classic motorcycle.

I can see the right corner trim/floor on the garage frame using the back up camera because it stays on for many feet as I travel slowly into my garage. I use my right mirror to avoid getting to close to the bike on my right. At the bottom of the upright on the concrete just before the lip of the garage floor I painted a large white square about 4x3 inches. When I see that in the backup camera I know the door coming down will clear the truck. The bike parked in front of the truck has to be within lines I have marked on the floor so when I stop after seeing the white square there is always 8 to 10 inches left between the bike and truck front bumper. Works well for me.

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

How about a little gravel at the doors threshold to minimize the lip catching you back tires. (Assumes the drive is not paved).
Good idea, but we're in town, with a concrete driveway which has about a 20º up-slope until you enter the garage itself.

The good news is that turning auto-hold "OFF" (pushing the button with the hand - you know - the one that was staring me in the face this whole time!) worked perfectly. I was able to ease my way forward until the tire gently "kissed" the rubber stopper.

Thanks to all who responded.

Sponsored

Catmandu

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Better option than foam - don't ask me how I know.
1671484606333.png
I like these.... but I'm sure I would trip over it when the garage is empty.

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like these.... but I'm sure I would trip over it when the garage is empty.
But... But... But it's painted Glow-in-the-dark-Yellow and has black stripes! (Said shortly after managing to somehow stub a toe on it...)

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Try backing in.

OP
OP
JimParker256

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Try backing in.
Tried that first thing. Same issue with auto hold "lurch". But the "turn off auto hold with the button" advice works in reverse also.
Sponsored