Recommended Tonneau Covers?

bsly137

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
I'm considering ordering the ford accessory hard trifold. I just wanted to pop in here and ask if there are others that you guys would recommend from your experience. I watched the video of the Truxedo Pro X15. The quick disconnect feature seems nice.
Sponsored

Cookieman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion and Edge
I’m looking for a hard tri fold cover to compare to the Ford accessory. My dealer left both the tonneau cover and spray in bed liner off my order saying it would help scheduling lead time. The Truxedo roll up hard cover is interesting and less expensive. Looking for other vendors.

Packer Bill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Based on reading reviews and what other forums have been recommending, I plan to get the Truxedo Pro X15. I will wait until my truck is built before I order one.

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
No experience with it yet but I ordered a Bak Revolver x4s. Functionality of roll up cover and security of hard tri fold. There is another thread in here you could go through where people talk about the pros and cons of each kind.

Dandylion

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda Fit, 2007 Chev Silverado
I have never had a tonneau cover before, and was also researching a bit to see what I could find out. Initially I liked the hard surface of a tri-fold for its security, but then saw that people were saying one downside was that when open, it blocks your rear view vision out the back window. The soft-rollups seemed cheaper, but often not as secure, as anybody could peel up the velcro and look inside (or take something from inside), or even cut through the soft cover with a knife.

I found the BAK Revolver X4S that fordtruckguy mentioned above to look pretty darned good in the videos I found. It is a "hard roll-up" cover. It has the smooth matte black look, but also the security of aluminum cross bars, and especially nice was that the entire length of both sides are very secure, with a metal rail that clamps down when the last section is latched closed. As long as you have a locking tailgate, then any contents would be very secure if the tailgate was locked. (A thief may slice the vinyl fabric, but the aluminum bars would prevent the thief from taking anything very big out of the bed.)

Here's a couple of links to videos I found where they show installation (looks very easy), and also some of the features, making it very easy to see how the metal side clamps secure the cover:

I contacted BAK Industries, and they said they stock their dealers first, so it would be faster to buy from a retailer than directly from them. They show multiple online retailers, including RealTruck, Auto Anything and others. The price for a 2022 Ford Maverick seemed to be about $1048, but this is still less expensive than the Ford Accessories hard roll-up price of $1160. Today I discovered Auto Anything has a 10% off sale right now ($104 off) and they quoted me $944 with free shipping. (Fordtruckguy, did you get a better price than this? If so, please share!)

The vids don't show installation on a Maverick, so hopefully it would be just as easy...

If anybody has any pros or cons I didn't think of, please share. And if anybody knows of a better quality tonneau cover (or a better price), also please share!

Sponsored

Sloozie

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I rather stay with O..E Ford supplies,it get better peice of mind for it coverages of warranty in one location. It don't bother me what others says about the hardcover tri fold style,96% of time it won't be folded up to cover back window.. still has the best reasons for the supplies they offer as O.E.

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
I have never had a tonneau cover before, and was also researching a bit to see what I could find out. Initially I liked the hard surface of a tri-fold for its security, but then saw that people were saying one downside was that when open, it blocks your rear view vision out the back window. The soft-rollups seemed cheaper, but often not as secure, as anybody could peel up the velcro and look inside (or take something from inside), or even cut through the soft cover with a knife.

I found the BAK Revolver X4S that fordtruckguy mentioned above to look pretty darned good in the videos I found. It is a "hard roll-up" cover. It has the smooth matte black look, but also the security of aluminum cross bars, and especially nice was that the entire length of both sides are very secure, with a metal rail that clamps down when the last section is latched closed. As long as you have a locking tailgate, then any contents would be very secure if the tailgate was locked. (A thief may slice the vinyl fabric, but the aluminum bars would prevent the thief from taking anything very big out of the bed.)

Here's a couple of links to videos I found where they show installation (looks very easy), and also some of the features, making it very easy to see how the metal side clamps secure the cover:

I contacted BAK Industries, and they said they stock their dealers first, so it would be faster to buy from a retailer than directly from them. They show multiple online retailers, including RealTruck, Auto Anything and others. The price for a 2022 Ford Maverick seemed to be about $1048, but this is still less expensive than the Ford Accessories hard roll-up price of $1160. Today I discovered Auto Anything has a 10% off sale right now ($104 off) and they quoted me $944 with free shipping. (Fordtruckguy, did you get a better price than this? If so, please share!)

The vids don't show installation on a Maverick, so hopefully it would be just as easy...

If anybody has any pros or cons I didn't think of, please share. And if anybody knows of a better quality tonneau cover (or a better price), also please share!
Yeah email the address below and say your from this forum and he should be able to knock another $100 off the auto anything price.

[email protected]

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah email the address below and say your from this forum and he should be able to knock another $100 off the auto anything price.

[email protected]
I got about $200 off the truxedo sentry ct with Alex It is a great fit and the matte canvas is awesome. Can't recommend the hard roll up option enough, great fit and very secure as well.

Thrillhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I rather stay with O..E Ford supplies,it get better peice of mind for it coverages of warranty in one location. It don't bother me what others says about the hardcover tri fold style,96% of time it won't be folded up to cover back window.. still has the best reasons for the supplies they offer as O.E.
Ford's hard roll up is a Bak X2 and their soft roll up is a Truxedo. You can buy the Bak X2 cheaper outside of Ford. The Bak X4s is apparently the new version of the X2. I'm leading toward the Truxedo Sentry hard roll up.

OP
OP

bsly137

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Ford's hard roll up is a Bak X2 and their soft roll up is a Truxedo. You can buy the Bak X2 cheaper outside of Ford. The Bak X4s is apparently the new version of the X2. I'm leading toward the Truxedo Sentry hard roll up.
I’m not crazy about the soft using Velcro. I’m assuming the hard options do not rely in Velcro to hold them down.

Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have had a pickup in my driveway for about 40 years and had different covers over the years, I worked for a car company and always got a demo so I only drove the truck on weekends almost always had water in the bed, I can say this the hard covers butt the back side of the tailgate and water runs down the back of the gate, the less expensive soft covers over lap the gate but can leak in the sides, for 1100.00 bucks you can buy almost 4 of the less expensive covers they can hold a foot of snow and when installed correctly will do the job without breaking the bank. If you carry expensive tools or materials and worry about theft that's another story that wasn't my case go for the protection and hard cover.
I was never in bad areas and was a weekend vehicle.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m not crazy about the soft using Velcro. I’m assuming the hard options do not rely in Velcro to hold them down.
The Truxedo Sentry CT does use velcro down the sides, however it is simply there as a mechanism to seal/overlap along the edges. I totally agree with regards to a soft rolling top - the velcro is being stressed all of the time to keep tension, and even moreso when driving where wind increases that tension - eventually the fabric will loosen and the stitching will be compromised (I bought an older ridgeline a few years ago and the tonneau was useless for this exact reason). I have zero concern with the functionality of the velcro on my sentry CT however, because it is not stressed. I actually prefer it to the BAK solution (rubber/pressure sealed) as it provides an inch+ of overlapped coverage from the rail slats - this seems to me to provide better prevention of water getting underneath as well.

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
See, I don't carry anything expensive in my car, and the tonneau cover would be more for whenever we take family road trips or something. I REALLY like the hard roll-up that Ford is offering, but not sure if I NEED it. I like the Pro X15, because it almost feels like the happy medium between uber cheap and pricier than I'd like. I'm also in a "nice" area and don't get a lot of snow or crazy weather.

I just want to cover the bed and be able to have access to it for Home Depot/Lowe's runs.

OP
OP

bsly137

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
I'm leaning towards the ford hard roll up or maybe the BAK X4. I'm going to look into the differences between the X2 vs the X4.

OP
OP

bsly137

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Sounds like the X2 has a high gloss finish and the X4 has a matte finish. Might be just go with the ford option using my ford pass points.
Sponsored