Sponsored

Recommendations for locking bed cover that will last in the Arizona heat/sun?

DoomBuggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

I have my hybrid Mav, and want to be able to put stuff in the bed and leave it there, so I'd like a lockable bed cover. I also want to be able to haul stuff without any major hassle. I'm petite, so I don't plan to be removing 100-lb fiberglass covers (not that I've seen any available that fit the Mav).

I've read the big thread on types of covers, and am probably leaning towards hard rolling covers, but all of the ones suggested in the thread don't have very good reviews when it comes to lasting in our AZ sun. If I'm going to pay over $1k for a cover, I expect it to last more than a year or two. The covers I've seen seem to be all covered with some type of vinyl/plastic, and according to reviews aren't going to cut it here.

When I go to the Ford accessories site, it tells me that I can't purchase from the Ford site in Arizona (no clue why). So that option's out.

I did look at Undercover Elite bed covers, but they don't seem to have one for the Mav.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Have any of you installed something that seems to be durable for the Southwest climate?

Much appreciated!
DH
Sponsored

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would absolutely go that route if $ was no object. $1800 is a rather hefty price tag, even if the product is really good. The OEM soft folding cover has worked fine for me thus far, and using the 303 Aerospace UV protectant spray has kept it looking good as new.
It's secure enough, but obviously anyone with a knife and certain level of desperation can get into the bed if they really wanted to.

Raymundo76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mazda CX-5
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

When my23 gets to me I will try TONOPRO NFT037 on Amazon for $499 less 5%, check it out and let me know what you think.

Sponsored

D Janke

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid Lariat !
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is an awesome bed cover! I've got the Ford branded soft rollup cover now, but when the sun eats that up I think i'll definitely go with this diamond cover.
It's down right industrial. Nothing is going to harm that.

Old Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Soul, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

I have my hybrid Mav, and want to be able to put stuff in the bed and leave it there, so I'd like a lockable bed cover. I also want to be able to haul stuff without any major hassle. I'm petite, so I don't plan to be removing 100-lb fiberglass covers (not that I've seen any available that fit the Mav).

I've read the big thread on types of covers, and am probably leaning towards hard rolling covers, but all of the ones suggested in the thread don't have very good reviews when it comes to lasting in our AZ sun. If I'm going to pay over $1k for a cover, I expect it to last more than a year or two. The covers I've seen seem to be all covered with some type of vinyl/plastic, and according to reviews aren't going to cut it here.

When I go to the Ford accessories site, it tells me that I can't purchase from the Ford site in Arizona (no clue why). So that option's out.

I did look at Undercover Elite bed covers, but they don't seem to have one for the Mav.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Have any of you installed something that seems to be durable for the Southwest climate?

Much appreciated!
DH
When I got my Mav mid March, very few hard trifold covers were available. I did get one, ordered from Weather Tech. It wasn't cheap, $1000+ and they wanted a lot for shipping. I asked if they could help with that, and they reduced it to $100. I do like the cover so far, looks good, low profile, easy to install. I live in the desert SW. Worth checking out.

No5s

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado Z71
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Extang solid fold 2.0 on my Colorado in CA and AZ sun. Six years old and looks and functions like new.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love my Gator FX3 Hard Trifold. Should be around $750.
I was considering the hard roll-up, but reviews of the vinyl material top cracking/tearing, especially in the hot AZ sun I'd imagine, deterred me.

Sponsored

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I live in New Mexico in the Albuquerque area. Lots and lots of sun, plus higher elevation which means UV protection is needed on everything. I currently have a Chevrolet Silverado and have the Retrax cover. It is an amazing cover that not only locks in multiple positions but is made of metal with baked on paint. Best cover yet! Very secure. HOWEVER . . . this cover rolls up in a canister below the rear window and takes up valuable bed space. Not an issue with my full size pickup. Maverick only has a 4 1/2’ bed length. For me I want as much space as I can get. I bought the BAK Revolver X4s for my Maverick. I personally prefer the roll-up and I likewise want security, reason for the hard roll-up. Will hold up against the harsh UV. NOT as secure as the Retrax, but is lockable. Good enough to deter but will not withstand determined break in. So if bed space is not a factor, go for the Retrax. If space matters, I recommend BAK Revolver X4s.

warrenlester

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy Equinox 2013 VW Beetle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Has anyone installed a bed cover on a maverick with the 6 D-link bed connectors? preferably a folding hard cover.

OP
OP

DoomBuggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all, thanks for your experiences and advice!

I ended up going with the Diamondback SE cover. It had the combination of being solid, weather-proof, lockable, and easily removable. I'm very happy with it. It has two panels, one up front and one in back which open up kind of butterfly style. The panels are each easily removable and only about 30 lbs so I can have tall stuff in the bed if I need to (I do some landscaping work so I sometimes have to transport tall plants.) The rest of the time it's pretty much a locked trunk, which really helps utilize the space to its fullest. I can have my tools and tie-downs in there without worrying about someone taking them. It will also work on our road trips where we need to have the bed lockable, weathertight, and relatively burglar-proof since our luggage will be in there.

It's made of aluminum and is spray coated with the same stuff they use for bed liner, so hopefully it will last forever! You can also put 400 lbs on top of it in case you need to haul stuff up there, too. They have an even more heavy duty one (and pricier) than the one I got which can have I think 1600 lbs on top (like for ATVs I guess?) The top of it has 4 cleats for tie down. Each of the two panels has a twisting lock. It comes with two keys. I'm a small female with small hands, but it works for me and doesn't require lots of burliness to open/operate.

Mine had a little bend in it in one of the panels, which manifested itself by one of the corners not fitting as close to the bed as I would have liked (maybe 1/4 inch or less up from the edge of the bed). I contacted their customer service via email (I hate calling) and heard back via email within like 10 minutes. The guy said to just wiggle it back and forth a few times to take the bend out; sometimes during manufacturing the aluminum panels have a bit of a twist in them. It took 2 people wiggling it back and forth a few times, but now it fits super snug. I am very happy with the customer service.

It's quite expensive ($1800) given all of these features, so it's not for everyone, but I plan on having my truck for many years, so I think it was worth the investment. Diamondback also has military discounts, and has an "open box" outlet store, too where you can get their stuff at a discount. They have videos on their site if you wan tot know how it works/looks.

Anyway, hope this helps. If anyone wants pics, let me know and I can post some.
DB
Sponsored