Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
date done 7/14/22
done at Oroville Ford
Dropped off 11am picked up 3pm.
Comment: They took me home and picked me up when done.
First class dealer no dents/scratches or grease left on truck. Always look before leaving.

Work order only says drill 5 holes and remove 4 blinds

I am not sure the square holes were already there as I did not take before or after pictures. Below picture shows the 3 round holes in front part of under engine shield. Material is soft and fuzzy kind of but rigid.

Ford Maverick Recall 22S47 Pictures of work done - add yours if you want IMG_8562.JPG

Picture below shows the 2 rear round holes by the large square hole which not sure it was done today or was there already.
Ford Maverick Recall 22S47 Pictures of work done - add yours if you want IMG_8564.JPG

This one shows the center support behind the grill where the shutters are visible. It is a little tricky to see but look for one missing as you will see the center hole and a pivot hole left in the center section where the shutter was inserted like the ones still there. The lowest shutters (below the lincense plate) and the lowest shutters above the license plate were removed.

Ford Maverick Recall 22S47 Pictures of work done - add yours if you want IMG_8565.JPG
Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What a band-aid fix. I wouldn't be surpised if road salt accumulates in these holes during the winter. Also wouldnt removing the grill shutter pieces just add more air to the already going fire?

thevol

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver Mav 2.0 AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford has done stupid fixes like this before. They actually were getting super duty thin wall axle pads re-welded by the dealer and drilling holes in floors to pop rivet heat shields on. Pretty insane bandaid stuff.

OP
OP

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What a band-aid fix. I wouldn't be surpised if road salt accumulates in these holes during the winter. Also wouldnt removing the grill shutter pieces just add more air to the already going fire?
There are already holes smaller than these large 1-3/4 size size holes that would plug up much easier with salt.

The idea of more air is to keep the temperature below the fire temp so more air is good if it doesn't get hot enough to fire.

My idea of this thread was adding photos of the work done not to argue about the Ford band-aids. They aren't the only makers doing recall fixes like band-aids. My Chevy Volt is a great example.

Last edited:

Sylvester

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The rats in my frontyard will be super happy, now they don't have to go around anymore, they have direct access to the engine bay:)

Sponsored

OP
OP

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Photos or it didn't happen.

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm assuming they're hoping the airflow blows out any accumulating puddles while driving. I also don't like to say "hoping" when talking about fixes...

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you had any difference in mpg's since the fix? I doubt it would be much, but interested to know.

NeedForSteve

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Fusion 2.3; 2023 HPR XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm assuming they're hoping the airflow blows out any accumulating puddles while driving. I also don't like to say "hoping" when talking about fixes...
More airflow around the block/head most likely. These cracking issues have always been hotspot related so this is probably the easiest way they could find to better ventilate at speed

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The giant square hole was definitely not there before - source: changed my hybrid's oil a few weeks ago in my driveway.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this fix. The engine compartment was so clean and tidy under that cover when I changed my oil. I feel like these holes will let a ton of crap and road gunk spray all under there.

MPG hit is probably negligible, but also slightly annoying

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Notice there's already five holes in the stock engine shield. Yet people are freaking out about adding five more like it's going to absolutely destroy their aerodynamics... on a truck.

Mxer97

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mav xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Notice there's already five holes in the stock engine shield. Yet people are freaking out about adding five more like it's going to absolutely destroy their aerodynamics... on a truck.
People complain about anything and everything.

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not super tidy but one has to remember it was only 5-10 years ago we had no under shields at all. Take this into account when over worrying about a few extra holes killing aerodynamics or causing salt issues.

OP
OP

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you had any difference in mpg's since the fix? I doubt it would be much, but interested to know.
I don't track my gas mileage. I only have 4200 miles on it since December 16th. I usually top off after getting down to 1/2 tank. Just drive it easy. It's hot here so using AC every drive so that will impact it more than a few holes for sure.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are already holes smaller than these large 1-3/4 size size holes that would plug up much easier with salt.

The idea of more air is to keep the temperature below the fire temp so more air is good if it doesn't get hot enough to fire.

My idea of this thread was adding photos of the work done not to argue about the Ford band-aids. They aren't the only makers doing recall fixes like band-aids. My Chevy Volt is a great example.
You are right I worked for GM back in late 90’s early 2000 and boy oh boy did they have a few shady fixes. The best was early Caddy Northstar’s that would leak oil on exhaust and smell so instead of fixing the oil leak they had us put a shield on the exhaust to deflect the oil from hitting the exhaust. 😂. Another beauty was early Suburbans had a shelf on top of dash that if you got into an accident the passenger if not wearing a seatbelt that there was a chance of their head getting stuck in that pocket against the windshield. There fix was put a bumper in the pocket so your head would bounce off that instead of getting stuck.
Sponsored