Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
August 8, 2022 NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V594000
Side Curtain Air Bag Malfunction/FMVSS 226
Improper deployment of an air bag increases the risk of injury in a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V594000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 64,974

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2022 Maverick vehicles. The side-curtain air bags may not deploy properly. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 226, "Ejection Mitigation."

Remedy

Dealers will replace the left and right side-curtain air bag modules with a new design, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 22, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 22C20.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

1 Affected Product
Vehicle

MAKEMODELYEAR
FORDMAVERICK2022

2 Associated Documents
Sponsored

Attachments

MikeyCNY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat TREMOR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't see a VIN range, guess we just wait for a letter?

Would this be a one-day fix? My dealer has an F150 Lightning as a service loaner, just wondering... :ROFLMAO:

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone recently posted a picture of deployed airbags after a deer strike and minor injury to the occupants. Glad they functioned at least that time!

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One more item to add to the list of things for my dealer to fix when I bring in my Maverick for its first service appointment.

I really like the features of my truck, but Iā€™m beginning to wonder whether buying my first Ford was such a good idea. Iā€™ve never had this many issues with any Toyota, Mitsubishi, or Honda that Iā€™ve owned. I guess this is why Ford has the reputation that it does. Iā€™m feeling better by the day about having purchased the extended warranty.

All of that said, Iā€™m still trying to stay optimistic! I really like my truck, and at least Ford is fixing their errors.

Sponsored

NotAnonymous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Guess I'll wait for this one to get into the dealer service system and then schedule it AND the grill shutter recall both to be done at the same time....

Last edited:

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All of that said, Iā€™m still trying to stay optimistic! I really like my truck, and at least Ford is fixing their errors.
Same.. but I have the wandering eye lately. We sold our Porsche Macan early last year and now I'm feeling this urge to buy another. You know, cause this is the typical cross shopping people do with Mavericks. :LOL:

Trucklet

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL AWD 4k
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the replacing of the brake linings on page 4 just a copy/paste error?

After 9 months of waiting I was unfortunately in an accident 7 days after taking delivery. All airbags went off and Maverick called 911 automatically (that's a setting in the infotainment, be sure to set it if you want it!).

My left arm was pretty jacked up from the side curtain airbag that I had to wear long sleeves in a heatwave for over a week but I assumed that was just how airbags were if you're really close to them.

If anyone is still waiting on delivery and apprehensive about the fact that they ordered before it was even NHTSA tested, at least a sample of 1 can say it seems pretty good in a crash...

brdl04

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One more item to add to the list of things for my dealer to fix when I bring in my Maverick for its first service appointment.

I really like the features of my truck, but Iā€™m beginning to wonder whether buying my first Ford was such a good idea. Iā€™ve never had this many issues with any Toyota, Mitsubishi, or Honda that Iā€™ve owned. I guess this is why Ford has the reputation that it does. Iā€™m feeling better by the day about having purchased the extended warranty.

LOL

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
64,974 vehicles with build dates from February 3, 2021 through July 9, 2022 are affected
WHEW~ Mine are being built in the next few weeks; possibly next month.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you read the documents (the second one), a stop ship order was enacted on July 12th and after testing and a field remedy, shipping began again on August 1st.

This might explain a delay some people are seeing in their trucks getting out of the factory in the last month. It might also explain the 2-3 week shift outward in production dates for 2023 models "to get more 2022 orders done".

These airbags are made by ZF in Mexico. If entire replacement assemblies are going to be needed for our trucks this means that factory will be feeding both 65k replacement sets in addition to production of new vehicles. Could be a new constraint for 2023 production or be slow for our replacements - or both.

Last edited:

Mav2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

1st year of any new release car/truck/suv is gonna have it's issue's at least in the big 3 šŸ˜Ž still can't figure out why they won't match Hyundai's warranty of 10 yr 100k mile power train!

FlyingScot

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Eco Lux FX4 4K CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Meh, our truck has been faultless granted just 2,000 miles. Only thing I noticed was unprimed metal under rear taillights when pull off for installing the bed extender. But we have an Ecoboost built in April if I recall so those seem to have been pretty clean. Replacing airbag no big deal, better than the full disassembly required for replacing/checking fuel tank recall (Which we did not have).

I predict this will take 6-12 mos to resolve due to production issues and we will get an ā€œInviteā€ to repair when the parts are in stock.