First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Freestyle and Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Somebody must think so, or it wouldn’t have been ordered. Hope nobody gets hurt, but face it, remember the Pinto? Remember the GM ignition switch? Nobody thought they were dangerous, but a lot of innocent people died.
It was ordered because it didn't meet the limit of 111 mm. Someone could possibly be hurt a bit more by an extra 6 mm but that is half a cm, which would be less than a quarter of an inch.
Sponsored

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Probably so, but a safety recall would not be called that unless experts, not keyboard warriors defending Ford, thought it might be a problem. Ford needs to just get it done.
Did I ever defend Ford with my dying breath? 🤦🏻‍♀️ I'm saying DEATH is highly unlikely. A safety recall was issued because NHTSA set a standard of 111 max inflation and it inflated to 117. In order to keep their standards, they would definitely issue a recall. Now, what I find interesting is that my truck had a recall on it in November but it doesn't anymore. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Was something changed?

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm in Canada but it isn't on ford.ca or on the NHTSA page or my fordpass. Currently chatting with a customer service rep to see what is up. I'll update when he fills me in.
Noticed that afterward and switched the link to ford.ca :)

Not sure what that means... Hopefully they're able to get it sorted out for you.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did I ever defend Ford with my dying breath? 🤦🏻‍♀️ I'm saying DEATH is highly unlikely. A safety recall was issued because NHTSA set a standard of 111 max inflation and it inflated to 117. In order to keep their standards, they would definitely issue a recall. Now, what I find interesting is that my truck had a recall on it in November but it doesn't anymore. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Was something changed?
Just to correct you on your description of the deficiency: It's not that the airbags were over-inflating. In a standard test in which an inflated airbag is struck with a specified object/force to simulate preventing an unrestrained occupant from being ejected from the vehicle the Maverick's as-tested deflected 111.9 mm, in excess of the Federal maximum of 100mm. This deviated from Ford's values when they certified the units of 82.5mm-88.4mm (Ford internal criteria is 93.1mm).

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just to correct you on your description of the deficiency: It's not that the airbags were over-inflating. In a standard test in which an inflated airbag is struck with a specified object/force to simulate preventing an unrestrained occupant from being ejected from the vehicle the Maverick's as-tested deflected 111.9 mm, in excess of the Federal maximum of 100mm. This deviated from Ford's values when they certified the units of 82.5mm-88.4mm (Ford internal criteria is 93.1mm).
Thanks for clarifying. 👍 So, to help me understand more, it pushed the object 111.9 mm away? Is that what you mean?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for clarifying. 👍 So, to help me understand more, it pushed the object 111.9 mm away? Is that what you mean?
Other way around. The airbag is inflated, impacted at a number of target points (specifically the Maverick's failed at the front lower target point), and the amount to which the airbag moves is measured.

Here's an example of the testing:

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Other way around. The airbag is inflated, impacted at a number of target points (specifically the Maverick's failed at the front lower target point), and the amount to which the airbag moves is measured.

Ok, thanks again! Learn something new everyday.

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Took my 22 xlt hybrid in for oil change, tire rotation, & under hood fire recall. Asked about when my airbags would be replaced. After the service my paperwork said airbag not defective, no order needed. Ford sent me a recall, that somehow became ok.
There is a web site you can use to query the recall status of your vehicle. A new vehicle cannot be sold if there is an open recall on the vehicle.
FoMoCo has a 'interesting' web operation that contradicts a paper mail that indicated my Maverick has an active recall for the side curtain airbags. However, I can and did resurrect an old ID on the Ford site, and there, under that formerly inactive ID, my vehicle DID have an active recall. Am I confused? Yes, why do you ask?

Sponsored
First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Noticed that afterward and switched the link to ford.ca :)

Not sure what that means... Hopefully they're able to get it sorted out for you.
Ok, it still shows in their internal system but wasn't showing on their customer system so he has forwarded that to their tech department. Our truck is still in the line for the replacement when the parts are available though.

If anyone else has that problem (I've seen a few comments on here about that), please let them know.

mcgarveyjb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid XLT W/Lux and spray in
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
August 8, 2022 NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V594000
Side Curtain Air Bag Malfunction/FMVSS 226
Improper deployment of an air bag increases the risk of injury in a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V594000

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company

Components AIR BAGS

Potential Number of Units Affected 64,974

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2022 Maverick vehicles. The side-curtain air bags may not deploy properly. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 226, "Ejection Mitigation."

Remedy

Dealers will replace the left and right side-curtain air bag modules with a new design, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 22, 2022. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 22C20.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.

1 Affected Product
Vehicle

MAKEMODELYEAR
FORDMAVERICK2022

2 Associated Documents
Min e has been in twice for the airbag fix, both times no airbags available. Need to schedule another appointment and loose the truck for another day, when they come in :(

MikeNg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer couldn't even place an order unless my airbag is deployed due to shortage lol so I guess I need to have an accident with the bad airbag in order to get the new air bag currently

Ford Maverick Recall: 2022 Maverick Side Curtain Airbag Recall NHTSA Notice (August 8, 2022). Vehicles Affected: 64,974 2023-01-06 164923

First Name
Lily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer couldn't even place an order unless my airbag is deployed due to shortage lol so I guess I need to have an accident with the bad airbag in order to get the new air bag currently

2023-01-06 164923.png
Wow! Our dealer just told us "first quarter 2023" and then Ford Canada said I would get a letter when they had the airbags available... So patiently try to avoid any accidents, got it. 😂