Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Had those on an El Camino back when I raced a Formula Ford in SCCA. Pulled the FF on a trailer and loaded the extra wheels/tires, fuel, toolbox, jacks, etc in the bed.

They worked well in that application, and I could see them working well on a Mav that often tows/carries a heavier load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Transit Prius Honda Yamaha Chevy
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Where did you get the kit from?
SDtrucksprings.com

The last pic above has the model # & price. I’d ask them if they have a Firestone kit yet though, Firestone’s are heavier duty.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge, Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a pair of Air-Lifts in my 97 F150 (300,000 miles) and they worked great with an onboard air compressor.
I'd like to put something similar on my Maverick hybrid but it has Ford's 'force vectoring' springs which and I doubt the bags and springs would get along. The springs are curved under load and I think inflated bags would try to straighten them, thus affecting body roll while cornering.

Glad Air-Lift had a solution that works great for you.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-ford-maverick-truck-force-vectoring-springs/

Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP, looks good. PS, a great place to relocate those valves is inside the gas door.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a pair of Air-Lifts in my 97 F150 (300,000 miles) and they worked great with an onboard air compressor.
I'd like to put something similar on my Maverick hybrid but it has Ford's 'force vectoring' springs which and I doubt the bags and springs would get along. The springs are curved under load and I think inflated bags would try to straighten them, thus affecting body roll while cornering.

Glad Air-Lift had a solution that works great for you.

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2022-ford-maverick-truck-force-vectoring-springs/
I had read somewhere that the springs form a “modified” cylinder under load, but the rear end seems to be working just fine with the AirLift bags. I’ve not noticed much body roll, without the bags, with the bags fully inflated, or fully deflated. But then again I’m sure not going to take corners aggressively under load to test body roll. 🙂

I must be missing something. Are you saying the bags keep the springs from “vectoring”?

edit: I read the MotoTrend article you linked & it seems that maybe the AWD uses a different setup? Which is what I have these on. Is that how you read it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP, looks good. PS, a great place to relocate those valves is inside the gas door.
That is a good spot, less bending down!

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That is a good spot, less bending down!
Exactly, it’s clean, hidden, and easy to get to. Be sure to post up some pics if you do it. Good luck

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Exactly, it’s clean, hidden, and easy to get to. Be sure to post up some pics if you do it. Good luck

Maybe on my next install, I’ve got 2 more Mavs coming… -but who knows when!

Sponsored

Ricketts

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice! I’ll surely be looking at these for my Maverick as I’ll be lowering it but still need to do truck things some days.

Moby

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 sprinter van 65 chevy 11 Doka syncro
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

This would be perfect to pair with a front level lift . This way you can keep the truck level no mater what the load . If I ever get my Mav I think this is the rout I will go . Thanks

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had read somewhere that the springs form a “modified” cylinder under load, but the rear end seems to be working just fine with the AirLift bags. I’ve not noticed much body roll, without the bags, with the bags fully inflated, or fully deflated. But then again I’m sure not going to take corners aggressively under load to test body roll. 🙂

I must be missing something. Are you saying the bags keep the springs from “vectoring”?

edit: I read the MotoTrend article you linked & it seems that maybe the AWD uses a different setup? Which is what I have these on. Is that how you read it?
Yes, the EB AWD and the hybrid FWD have very different rear suspensions. The AWD EB is setup to so the Air-Lift kit works great, but on the FWD hybrid (and maybe the FWD EB) the bags would change the spring's geometry and have unintended consequences. The spring's wonky shape is key to it's function.

I don't know if the FWD EB has the same rear suspension as the hybrid, but it probably does.

When I first saw the springs I thought 'what's up with those springs'? After researching them a bit, I am thinking it would be a bad idea to put air bags in them because the bags would seriously change their geometry, especially when the bags were inflated.

I'd love to be proved wrong because then I could use the bags to counter squat. As it is now, I have to find something else for my hybrid that I don't have yet. . . . :)

Ford Maverick Rear End Squat? Install These… Air Bag Kit 1645278788702

Ford Maverick Rear End Squat? Install These… Air Bag Kit 1645277515971

OP
OP
Drew

Drew

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, the EB AWD and the hybrid FWD have very different rear suspensions. The AWD EB is setup to so the Air-Lift kit works great, but on the FWD hybrid (and maybe the FWD EB) the bags would change the spring's geometry and have unintended consequences. The spring's wonky shape is key to it's function.

I don't know if the FWD EB has the same rear suspension as the hybrid, but it probably does.

When I first saw the springs I thought 'what's up with those springs'? After researching them a bit, I am thinking it would be a bad idea to put air bags in them because the bags would seriously change their geometry, especially when the bags were inflated.

I'd love to be proved wrong because then I could use the bags to counter squat. As it is now, I have to find something else for my hybrid that I don't have yet. . . . :)

1645278788702.png

1645277515971.png
Thanks for that info. Are air shocks still made? Maybe replace the oem shocks with those?
I have a Hybrid on order, so I’ll need to find a solution too.

Aherpa

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid