First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 65 Galaxy ,2020 Spyder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm getting ready to put my first coat of "Wax" (Hydrid Ceramic). The Truck is Cyber Orange. Do I really need to Clay Bar the paint prior to waxing or is a good wash enough? Just not sure what Clay barring new paint actually provides. Thanks for any useful input.
Sponsored

Sleeper 7

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Fusion 14 Ram Dump 23 Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Im no detail pro but I dont see the need. If the paint still feels smooth on the lower door area. I use a clay mitt when needed and its so much faster. I did notice the plastics come from the factory with some greasy substance on it. I would clean all that with rubbing alcohol before applying anything

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm getting ready to put my first coat of "Wax" (Hydrid Ceramic). The Truck is Cyber Orange. Do I really need to Clay Bar the paint prior to waxing or is a good wash enough? Just not sure what Clay barring new paint actually provides. Thanks for any useful input.
You don't have new paint it's already been alive several months and waited in line for a train and truck ride plus who knows what dust followed by condensate. If you are happy with 85-93% of max possible shine and life of wax job it won't matter at all.

Roadking

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7…..Z51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Personally, I would never apply the ceramic material or even wax without first claying. The cost of the material and the effort involved to apply over a contaminated surface is enough to convince me to clay.

The true tell tale of whether your finish has contaminants embedded on the surface if easy to determine.

Using your bare hand is useless. instead, take a ziplock or baggie (I use a sandwich size), put your hand inside it and then run your hand over the surface of the paint. If you feel the tiny bumps, it needs claying. To bear this out. Do that exercise, then clay a small area, and redo the ziplock feel test after claying. It is amazing the amount of contaminants a vehicle gets even during transit on a rail car. BtW, there are plenty of YTs on how to clay your painted surface. it MUST have a wet lubricant between the clay and the clearcoat/surface. The clay bar will reference this. I use Adam’s detail spray as my clay lubricant.

Just my 2 cents. But as soon as you do the ziplock test you will be a believer, I was.

RK.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clay barring is one of those things you think you don't need to do.....until you do it once.

IMO, it's the single most important thing you can do to start off your new car paint care.

My favorite proverb sums up many things in life:

I hear, and I forget
I see, and I remember
I do, and I understand

🤠

Sponsored

Radman73

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you're going to do it, do it right. Proper clay bar treatment is easy, it just takes time but you'll be amazed and how smooth the paint is when you're done.

golfguy2020

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have area 51 colour and bought clay bar and mcguires paste wax

i used the clay bar on the hood and half the passenger door - nothing was on the clay bar
i don't know if its the type of paint area 51 is but it seems to not have the same clearcoat that metallic paints have and i found it pointless lol

I just applied the paste wax afterwards and every month or two ill spray on the spray wax after going through a car wash

OH3Cobra

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Shelby GT500, 03 SVT Cobra Vrt, 300 SRT8, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

CLAYBAR FIRST! The rail dust on these and general fall out today mean that the surface is not contaminate free. Take the time, get the paint right and use iso propyl alcohol to wipe down the car first. Then ceramic away. If you are using 9H or higher make sure you know your stuff and check for high spots. Then enjoy the shine.

EngineeredDetails

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 F150, 2016 Fusion, 2017 Explorer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Don't just claybar for the sake of claybarring. Do a good proper handwash on the vehicle. Prior to any claybarring you should use an iron decon to break up any ferrous material that may already be embedded in your paint. The claybar will then pick up what is left from the iron decon stage. Do know that claybarring does have the potential to leave micromarring on the paint's surface. That's why you would ideally put maybe a plastic bag over your hand and run it across the paint prior to the claybar stage. If it's smooth and no grittiness or grabiness is present then you could really just bypass the claybarring stage. You can also just claybar those areas where you feel it may benefit from it. You don't have to claybar the whole vehicle. After a claybar it would be good practice to do at least a light polish to get what your contact wash, iron decon, and claybar didn't quite get. Wipe down with a good paint prep or 50/50 IPA-distilled water mixture to lift any oily residues left over from any of those processes and lay down your favorite wax, sealant, or ceramic coating. The performance of any coating is all going to be determined on how well you prep your surface.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rnmedic45

Rnmedic45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 65 Galaxy ,2020 Spyder
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thank You all very much. The answer was YES. My clay bar was yellow to start so you could see the results. It was amazing how much "Junk" is on the paint.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
you should use an iron decon to break up any ferrous material that may already be embedded in your paint.
Yep! I did an iron decontamination of mine after owning it for less than a month and the amount of "purple" that melted off the paint was very surprising. Visually I could see no contamination at all prior to spraying it with the decontamination solution. Cactus Gray is pretty light color, so I assumed I would be able to see some of what was there. But nope!

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
yes use a iron remover right after your first wash if dirty and then re wash. any left remover over can be used to clean brake dust off your wheels when that becomes needed.

Wilbur

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Ford F100
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You will be happiest with the outcome if you do all the prep work in full prior to applying ceramic coatings.

In the evening of day 1:
1. Three-bucket wash / shampoo (rinse)
2. De-iron, de-contamination (rinse)
3. Claybar (rinse)
4. Compound polish

Breaking the prep work into two days gives you a chance to rest in what is otherwise a long job for a single day.

In the morning of day 2:
5. Plastic trim cleaner
6. Isopropyl alcohol, microfiber wipe
7. Ceramic coating application

Let the ceramic sit and cure for a couple of days before leaving the garage after application for best results.

son of a ..sven

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did the clay bar on the 2017 Audi TTS I bought new in 2017. Ceramic coat, etc,etc. Did a lot to it. Sold it.

got a Tesla Model 3. I just use Turtle wax Hybrid detail solution, nothing else.

Got my Maverick weeks ago...will do the same ...maybe. Life is short.

cla
Sponsored