Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

But good luck bringing a sheet of plywood home in the Outback! Fuel mileage could be better, but then people would be complaining about power. If people are that concerned about fuel mileage then they need to wait for a hybrid.
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
Youā€™re right. I usually tend to lock in my cruise at about 10 mph over the posted speed limit on an interstate. I should try it a 65 and see how much of a difference it makes. Then Iā€™ll have to decide if the gas savings is worth the extra travel time. šŸ˜Ž
45 miles an hour is about the most efficient speed, try keeping at 60 miles an hour you might be shocked at the mileage!

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
But good luck bringing a sheet of plywood home in the Outback! Fuel mileage could be better, but then people would be complaining about power. If people are that concerned about fuel mileage then they need to wait for a hybrid.
I had a Subaru Impreza mpg in the mid-20s and was challenged to put my bike in the back,kind of the worst of both worlds

thunaman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have about 1500 miles on my XLT. The last tankful showed 26.5 mpg on the display but my real calculation came in at 25.3 mpg. Thatā€™s running 87 octane on mostly highway with the cruise set at 75 mph. Iā€™ve never seen the display number get as high as 28. I donā€™t know how people are seeing over 30 mpg. The two times Iā€™ve checked my mileage Iā€™ve come in at around 25.5.
Itā€™s not just about slowing down as everyone has stated, but itā€™s how you drive. Accelerate slowly, slow down slowly try and keep your RPMā€™s down. I try my hardest to not come to a complete stop as much as possible.

Also a little trick I learned owning a Prius, when you decelerate, once you reach the speed your slowing to, let off the gas completely and re-apply to maintain your speed. Believe it or not this will lower the amount of fuel used to maintain your speed.

itā€™s also about changing elevation. I live in a valley, that is generally flat.

Lastly I am using 91 octane.

you generally have to drive like an old person. Itā€™s hard to do in a vehicle that is turbocharged!

good Luck!

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I live in one of the flattest places on the planet, so winds aside, that's helping the fuel economy we get, but as @thunaman says, it's also how you drive. The wife and I generally drive with fuel economy in mind, do the hypermiling thing:

https://blog.nationwide.com/7-hypermiling-tips-help-improve-fuel-economy/

We've had a Toyota Echo, then a Yaris, now have a '20 Corolla, are used to seeing great fuel economy. As great as the fuel economy is on the Maverick, it still lags far behind the Corolla.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Which is why my hybrid Maverick was built for me on 9/24. Just waiting now.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
First 145 miles x 6 gallons mix driving = 24 mpg .

oldfatguy

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997ranger 2006 fusion 2001 bmw330ci 2004.5w3500
4k tow package driving 62 to65 on local country roads i can do 30 plus, average for 1100 miles in minnesota with winter starting is 26 mpg driving 7miles to work and misc. short trips for errands

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Just finished 3rd tank. 89 octane. Roughly 50/50 city highway, with highway average speed around 80 mph. Onboard calculator said 27.2mpg and manually calculated mpg was 24.8 mpg.

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just finished 3rd tank. 89 octane. Roughly 50/50 city highway, with highway average speed around 80 mph. Onboard calculator said 27.2mpg and manually calculated mpg was 24.8 mpg.
That is a surprising discrepancy! It might help to keep running values, or use something like fuelly (see mine in my signature). One tank being further off could simply be a result of how the pump used tops off randomly one time, but if it is off consistently perhaps the tire size is not set properly in the computer system.

I'm seeing about 3% optimistic on my trip computer.

Starting to take the winter dip here, last tank was still 26mpg in mixed driving (I'd be lucky to be at 20mpg in my 2019 ranger - still very happy with what I'm getting!). We'll be driving from Minneapolis to Toronto this weekend, the first long haul driving test. If the drive back from Iowa is any indication, I'm hoping to average at least 30 for the trip.

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I suspect the quality of gas plays into fuel economy quite a bit. Less ethanol, or none, and higher octane gas will produce better fuel economy.

Edit... and winter blend gas has less BTUs, will result in lower mpg too.

Last edited:

Jason R

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Area 51, 2001 S-10 Xtreme
Mine might be higher than normal because of how long my commute is (110 miles a day), without much traffic or stop lights and a relatively low speed limit, but I'm averaging 30.4 so far over the first 500 miles and it is still climbing. I just stay in the right lane with the cruise control set at 65, and drive very light on the throttle. When I come across someone going slower, I often slow down to match their speed and get even better mileage.

My Mazda 3 used to get 42 mpg for an overall average, so it is easier to accept my mileage dropping to 30+ mpg rather than getting a full sized truck that gets 20 mpg.
Update: my average on the all season tires was briefly as high as 32.0 and leveled off at 31.8. Then it got cold and I put studded tires on, now it is around 28.

oldfatguy

First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997ranger 2006 fusion 2001 bmw330ci 2004.5w3500
my hand casulation is a lot closer ,about .7 off to the high side 27.8 hand is 27.1
Sponsored