Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey All, not wanting to pollute the ARE-V thread, I'll start anew.

I just received photos of a Ranch mid-rise topper from a local dealer.

Ball park installed price was well less than $2500 with some options included.

Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos Ranch1
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos Ranch2
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos Ranch3
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos Ranch 4
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos Ranch5

Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos RanchXL1

Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos RanchXL3

Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos RanchXL2

Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos RanchXL4
Sponsored

Last edited:

Porter117

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jeep TJ
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I prefer this much more compared to the Snug-Top, didn't realize how much I dislike how the Snug-Top flares out at the end (windows are odd too, but not that bad).

That gap though is pretty bad on this one, from the second photo it looks like they designed it to come out at the edges and close that gap, but didn't get the shape right.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hey All, not wanting to pollute the ARE-V thread, I'll start anew.

I just received photos of a Ranch mid-rise topper from a local dealer.

Ball park price was less than $2500 with some options included.

Ranch1.jpeg
Ranch2.jpeg
Ranch3.jpeg
Ranch 4.jpg
Ranch5.jpg
I like it.
My biggest concern for ALL toppers is that there is no where for the water to go that falls between the cab and the topper. I have concerns that water will pond in there. Has anyone addressed this yet?

I guess you could fill the gap with a neoprene/rubber gasket, or provide for drainage the same way that the tonneau covers do...

OP
OP
chuckles

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Not having a truck yet, all I can do is explore photos on the internet. Maybe in a month (or four)... *sigh*

I can't deal with the SnugTop. The door extending horizontally, and at under 6' is just at face height. I value my eyes and often have the cap door open and tailgate closed. Walk around once to quickly... Not to mention the awkwardness of ducking under the door for any access.

The DCU is butt ugly. My SO/wife would not allow it. Nothing else matters. End of discussion.

The ARE V series is a nice choice, but it's gap up top does not seem to be good for snow/sleet country. There is nothing worse than snow/ice balls wedged between cap and back window. Door height appears to be acceptable.

The photos of the Ranch top, enclosed ,and on website appear to have a good door open height. There is a gap around the CHMSL, but not as bad (in photos) as the ARE V. Sight unseen, this is my first choice.

They all seem like they will have the same drainage/ponding issues. There is a silly vertical radius piece of trim on the bed/cab corner that seems like it would provide a dam on each side. Even if a gap is maintained between the cap front side corner and this trim piece, it will soon fill with seeds, leaves, dirt, and debris.

I'd love to hear someone with real world experience discuss this relative to the maverick. -- or anyone with other options --

Topper is about 4” higher than cab roof height.
2022 Ford Maverick bed cap topper canopy alto blue lariat 5.jpg

Sponsored

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

It's hard to work around that brake light...

MortyHooper

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Matrix
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah that more seems like a Ford design thing, not sure how cap makers could work around it. If it touched people would just complain it was rubbing the paint off.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah that more seems like a Ford design thing, not sure how cap makers could work around it. If it touched people would just complain it was rubbing the paint off.
Heck, they've been building caps for unibody Ridgelines for years, I'm not seeing the need for a gap at all. Like has been mentioned, it's just a place for stuff to collect.

HRG

LessFrequent

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Less
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Heck, they've been building caps for unibody Ridgelines for years, I'm not seeing the need for a gap at all. Like has been mentioned, it's just a place for stuff to collect.

HRG
Exactly. That was my response on the ARE Cap thread awhile back.

Maybe these Cap manufacturers should look at making a high quality rubber seal strip that fits snuggly between the truck cab and the cap to seal the juncture along the top and sides to keep debris and water out.

OP
OP
chuckles

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe these Cap manufacturers should look at making a high quality rubber seal strip that fits snuggly between the truck cab and the cap to seal the juncture along the top and sides to keep debris and water out.

Actually, I believe such seals are already available if "her" gap is not too big.

Here is one of many found on ebay that would fill a half inch gap.
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos 1659972417752

or even one from Y'all mart if "she" has a huge gap.
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos 1659973998059

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
chuckles

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The first post in this thread has been updated to show installed photos. (here)

enginerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An XL at some point
So far this one is the winner for me. Pretty sure that is not your truck but do you have pics of the inside looking at the back window? My big gripe with the Snugtop is how small that rear window is.

OP
OP
chuckles

chuckles

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
crippled f150 10r80
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So far this one is the winner for me. Pretty sure that is not your truck but do you have pics of the inside looking at the back window? My big gripe with the Snugtop is how small that rear window is.
Sorry. The cap dealer had to give the truck back to the ford dealer and could not get a photo.

Sadly, they are both an hour and a half away from me and I couldn't see it myself. I wish I could have. This mid-rise cap seems to be the best for me so far. Like the truck itself, I'll be able to touch it some day...

The photo of the cap on the ground make the cap window look full height or nearly so. As an aside, I currently have a F150 with a cap. Even with clear front glass on the cap, the dark tinting on the F150 rear window combined with the dark tinting on the cap's rear window make the combination pretty opaque.

I'm about to post a pair of photos of a new ARE (high-rise?) over in the other thread...

Last edited:

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pre-production so expect changes. I like it.

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like this one also. Hate the Snug top looks and price. I like the 2 side locks, allowing the bottom bar to be thinner, giving more vision. I had the same on my 99 Ranger, wasn't an issue with locking both sides.

Also, there is a building product called ethafoam rod that will fill the gap nicely. Comes in grey or white and is not expensive.
Ford Maverick Ranch Mid-Rise cap topper photos 1660087135037
Sponsored