First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I got around to reading the article this morning and was shocked at the photo. The design is terrible. I've seen several mini Ram renderings or possible designs and nothing presented so far is attractive to me. Plus, I'm not a fan of manufacturing a Fiat design and putting a Ram logo on it. A Ram should be designed and made specifically for the US. Shoot, even the Japanese and Korean manufacturers get it. They design and manufacture aimed at the US market. Hopefully, Stellantis will eventually get it and let Ram do Ram without European influence, especially Fiat, especially since Fiat terrible manufacturing quality reputation is well earned.

Here are a design from Dodge that I do like.

1649171362131.jpeg

Unfortunately, this design went away around 2003/2004. The four door also looked good.

General Motors can get it right sometimes as they did with this GMC.

1649171509067.jpeg

I had a 2001 Silver GMC Sonoma badged SS (Step Side) with the same suspension package and similar accessories as the ZRX above. I also had a Red 2003 ZRX that came equipped with moonroof, V6, 2" lowered ZQ8 suspension, 10" wide 16" tires, ZRX branded soft roll up tonneau, bed side rails (which I loved), spray-in bed liner, etc. General Motors stopped the S10/Sonoma in 2003. They also made a four wheel drive 4 door S10/Sonoma as well through 2004.

Of course Ranger was the same class of compact pickup through 2012 (?) and the design of this generation Ranger was also very good and equaled the Dodge or Sonoma. Plus Ford made plenty of specialized models.

I even considered purchasing both of the above low mileage trucks until the Maverick came along. Makes me wonder if the US manufacturers had modernized their small pickup lines and marketed them for the US, would sales continued to be somewhat steady? I think the Maverick success sorta proves the market for a compact truck never really went away completely.

Stellantis best get busy with a design and manufacture for the US. Otherwise, the Fiat based Rams will languish at the dealerships.

As one poster said above, that is my 2 cents worth as I step down and exit stage left. :cool:
Just update the dakota and s10 look really dont fix with what wasnt broken.
Sponsored

Michaelkov

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW X1, 2018 Toyota Rav4, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

teh603

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Subaru Outback, '09 Honda Fit
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Pic is of a Ram 700. Which, based on the article I saw, has a suspiciously low tow cap (800#) and a payload around 1600.

Why would a truck/ute have a lower tow cap than my old '95 Miata did?

Does it come with a matching purse?
Don't knock enby fashion. Most of us have been stuck either boymoding or being hoodie/sweats gremlins for too long.

Last edited:

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stellantis built compact truck, WCGW?

Sponsored

First Name
Louis O
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
It's only a matter of time before another manufacture comes out with something to compete with the Maverick, besides the Santa Crud!
I read an article , I believe it was GM Authority , About a possible competition from Chevy against the Maverick and it is called S10 from Mexico .

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I read an article , I believe it was GM Authority , About a possible competition from Chevy against the Maverick and it is called S10 from Mexico .
I'm really surprised that nothing firm has been announced by any of the other manufacturers about a competitive truck.

KCHahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently drive a 2001 Ford Range Edge 2WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks as if the front end has a stupid, sh!t eating grin on its face!! I’ll stick with the Maverick, thank You!!

FDT93

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Elantra, Tucson, 1986 Merkur XR4Ti
To be fair, the very first time I saw a picture of the Maverick, I thought it was a silly looking tiny truck and was like "who is actually going to buy that??"

....then I started doing some research. ...then the Spongebob Squarepants front end started to grow on me. ...then I saw the price and what we got for that price.
Now I'm the proud owner of a not so tiny truck that isn't as silly looking as I thought.

But y'all are right... not even time and research can make that Dodge look any better.

Clifdawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I strongly suspect RAM would redesign the truck to have more appeal. One thing to note: The entry and departure angles look great, so this would work really well as a small off-road vehicle. As it stands, the Maverick is kinda billed as a "city" truck and the Santa Cruz is straight up a crossover with a tiny bed. This could do well if it came standard with AWD and carved out it's own niche as a little off-roader.

My guess: a sister vehicle to the Jeep Renegade. It'd be based on the same platform, would probably look pretty good with the seven-slot grille, rounded headlights, and boxy styling, and would represent a cool new option for people that can't step up to the Gladiator.

Sponsored

RBElectrical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
The majority of our vehicles are FCA or whatever they are called these days. Although once Fiat took over, their pricing went through the roof. The Maverick is the first Ford Truck in our fleet since my 2006 Ranger days. That truck was the perfect small truck size with a great bed size. All our Vans are Transits.

cavemold

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No updates as of yet if any let us know :)

Tbolt

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' EcoSport SES, 22' Lariat Lux FX4 Eco Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That truck looks like a very large person awkwardly trying to make themselves look small.

I'm all for the other US manufacturers bringing back the small truck, but that is not it.

Just goes to show how much Ford got right with the Maverick.
Sponsored