First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So one thing I liked about the FX4 and 4k is the radiator upgrade. I live in Houston, and make trips to South Texas regularly as well. It gets hot. Should those of us who live in hot climates be concerned with offroading with the Tremor radiator?
Sponsored

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Isn't it upgraded to slightly higher capacity I find the fx4 with 4k tow gets hot in none hot weather almost cook an egg hot

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The FX4 one is, but not the Tremor. That is my concern, if I'm offroading in S TX and it's 96 degrees outside is the Tremor a concern to overheat?

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think FoMoCo built these things w/o taking a trip or 56 to Death Valley in the middle of August? My expectation is they should handle about anything you can handle yourself. With the A/C running at full blast.
Perhaps if really concerned, you can get a dongle that will let you monitor coolant temperature on your cell. Or get and install a temperature gauge.
tom

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think FoMoCo built these things w/o taking a trip or 56 to Death Valley in the middle of August? My expectation is they should handle about anything you can handle yourself. With the A/C running at full blast.
Perhaps if really concerned, you can get a dongle that will let you monitor coolant temperature on your cell. Or get and install a temperature gauge.
tom
Then why did they upgrade the radiator on FX4? Same basic market as Tremor. It may well be that it's fine, but the question isn't silly since the precedent is there...

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the upgraded cooling was part of the 4K package, not FX4? Is that not correct?

grumpyunk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mariner 85 Ranger 97 T-bird 87 Sable
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Then why did they upgrade the radiator on FX4? Same basic market as Tremor. It may well be that it's fine, but the question isn't silly since the precedent is there...
The added load from towing something weighing up to 4,000 pounds, about 1500 more than the truck itself, increases the heat load to be dissipated. A larger radiator helps accomplish that. The final drive ratio is also modified to allow for more engine revs per distance traveled, which should increase available torque for each gear.
Off roading is a different load than pulling a trailer. A trailer is a load 100% of the time it is in motion, obviously moreso when accelerating, but there is aero drag above and beyond that of the base vehicle, which is present 100% of the time the vehicle is in motion, increasing with the square of the speed. If you want details, doing some learning about thermodynamics and heat rejection may help. There are some YT vids that are pretty decent in explanation.
tom

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought the upgraded cooling was part of the 4K package, not FX4? Is that not correct?
Ford Maverick Radiator in heat, concern? Screenshot_20220810-065809_Chrome

Upgraded radiator in FX4. My understanding is this comparable to the 4k radiator upgrade (could be wrong there). Further understanding is that they could not fit upgraded radiator in new bumper, hence no 4k available.

My original question may have been vague, but that is my logic chain. If FX4 needed an upgraded radiator, but they couldn't fit one in the Tremor, is there a concern for overheating?

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hmmmm...... interesting. I'd like to know specific differences between FX4 cooling system vs 4K, if anybody knows.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have not heard of any problems with BS Badlands in regards to overheating. The reduced towing has more to do with the off road tuned suspension than cooling. Ford already has plenty of field testing in all sorts of weather plus the BS Badlands in real world driving. If there was a problem with cooling the set up in the Tremor we would have heard about it or you can check Bronco Sport forums. Ask there, everything is the same in the TREMOR as it is in the Badlands. Before speculating or creating a panic, do a little research...I did.

Sponsored

Houmav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In the TFL Ike towing video the temp did rise on the Mav as visible on the dash read out. Arguably this is a extreme condition, but still... I believe they would have absolutely added the larger radiator to the Tremor but it came down to a space issue and they felt better approach angles and clearance provided more of a benefit.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My original question may have been vague, but that is my logic chain. If FX4 needed an upgraded radiator, but they couldn't fit one in the Tremor, is there a concern for overheating?
The Tremor just has a completely different radiator entirely due to dimensional requirements; it's not just a stock unit. The Bronco Sport Badlands fan/radiator it uses therefore is likely up to the task same as the FX4 (perhaps a bit more since it also now liquid cools the PTU) but just not quite enough to meet the standards Ford expects for the 4k towing.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
A valid question. Especially as you live in Houston/plan offroading in S.Tex. I think you’ll have to wait until the 2023 Build-and-Price is live to see if there are any specifics in print (one or more months from now?). If I had to guess, wrt radiator/cooling fan, the Tremor will likely be similar to FX4 (“heavy duty” radiator / cooling fan as others have noted). Will it have an aux. transmission cooler? Don’t know for sure but I doubt it, the 2022 Mav with 4K Tow (option 53Q) does have aux. trans cooler/radiator & cooling fan upgrade, the FX4 appears to have just radiator & cooling fan upgrade.

I looked into this a little ~10 months ago: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ings-equipment-frontal-area-experiments.2917/
Ford Maverick Radiator in heat, concern? 1660141461043

The 2022 Ford Towing Guide https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...ailerTowingGuide_Calculator-Fleet_r8_Aug8.pdf has a section on what “stuff” you get with their trailer tow packages across their entire product line. Currently, only an F150 Raptor and Maverick give you an upgraded radiator with tow package options. Only Escape, Bronco Raptor, Maverick, and F150 Raptor give you aux. trans cooler. Cooling fans aren’t even mentioned in the tow guide (they used to be – look at prior year tow guides on the fleet site) although supposedly you get a “heavy duty” one (whatever that means) with Mav 4K Tow Pkg. It’s hard to get specifics – just because something isn’t mentioned as being included in tow package equipment doesn’t always mean it’s not part of a vehicle’s standard equipment.

Ford Maverick Radiator in heat, concern? 1660141535654

Ford is just following the trend all auto companies seem to be doing now – they want to lessen “complexity” (i.e. cab styles/option choices/parts, move to a one-size-fits-all as much as practical). Get less, pay more. Ugh.

Interesting article on this: https://www.kbb.com/car-news/ford-reducing-choices-to-make-car-buying-simpler/

Shakesbear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
J. R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD, FX4, 4K, Lux, no CP360 assist
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The FX4 one is, but not the Tremor. That is my concern, if I'm offroading in S TX and it's 96 degrees outside is the Tremor a concern to overheat?
C'mon man! I've Baha'd a stock two and four wheel ford truck all over Texas in 100 degree temps for years and never had a radiator problem; unless you hit something ;)
Sponsored