First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
First off - hello! I didnt know there was a forum for this truck yet - and I have been following the updates for quite a few months now for this truck.

I wanted to ask some of you who I am sure know more about design/engine/frame than I do. For reference I currently own a 2011 2.3L 5-speed regular cab Ranger. Previously I owned the extended cab 2009 Nissan Frontier 4cyl 5-speed. I have a 40 mile commute one way (80 total) here in South Florida.

I have been looking to purchase a new truck for the past 6-12 months and just could never pull the trigger. My wife and I plan to start a family and want to move on from my current Ranger. New models dont interest me, thought the crew cab Frontier I still might consider, but the MPG is horrible for 2021 standards. I actually have really only considered base model Fords (RCSB F150, CC Ranger :/) I keep telling myself to wait for this truck, and those C&D renderings, if even remotely close I personally LOVE. Only thing I dont like from the rendering is the larger wheels, would prefer 15s and taller tires.

Either way - the questions I wanted to ask are the following:

I hear a lot of talk about unibody, and have personally never owned one. I understand that the frame is built into the body vs boxed frame, but what does this specifically mean in terms of TRUCKS?... Worse off road capabilities, lower towing, less capacity etc. I ask because I DO plan to tow my 10ft popup camper, which I currently tow with my Ranger, I also have a 14ft john boat I tow. Next, and ofc this is speculation - but lets say they offer AWD, does this mean theres no way they will have a 4x4? I know they are not the same, but can some elaborate? How good in snow/rain/ice is AWD vs 4wd, and is one better for mild offroading - I camp a lot and drive on MILD off road trails, only maybe once a year will I drive a trail that I can actually get stuck in.

I know this is a lot, I just saw the forum and the rendering and got VERY excited. Have been bouncing between trucks for so long - a 4-door COMPACT truck with a 4ft + bed that can get over 25MPG and tow maybe 2-2.5k lbs would be a miracle if priced right.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you, was helpful. Will be keeping an eye on it. Was just reading about the 1.5L Ecoboost Dragon 3 cyl. While I like the numbers plenty, an internal timing belt worries me. Surprised they still use belts and not timing chains - especially if it is interior.

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
First off - hello! I didnt know there was a forum for this truck yet - and I have been following the updates for quite a few months now for this truck.

I wanted to ask some of you who I am sure know more about design/engine/frame than I do. For reference I currently own a 2011 2.3L 5-speed regular cab Ranger. Previously I owned the extended cab 2009 Nissan Frontier 4cyl 5-speed. I have a 40 mile commute one way (80 total) here in South Florida.

I have been looking to purchase a new truck for the past 6-12 months and just could never pull the trigger. My wife and I plan to start a family and want to move on from my current Ranger. New models dont interest me, thought the crew cab Frontier I still might consider, but the MPG is horrible for 2021 standards. I actually have really only considered base model Fords (RCSB F150, CC Ranger :/) I keep telling myself to wait for this truck, and those C&D renderings, if even remotely close I personally LOVE. Only thing I dont like from the rendering is the larger wheels, would prefer 15s and taller tires.

I hear a lot of talk about unibody, and have personally never owned one. I understand that the frame is built into the body vs boxed frame, but what does this specifically mean in terms of TRUCKS?... Worse off road capabilities, lower towing, less capacity etc. I ask because I DO plan to tow my 10ft popup camper, which I currently tow with my Ranger, I also have a 14ft john boat I tow. Next, and ofc this is speculation - but lets say they offer AWD, does this mean theres no way they will have a 4x4? I know they are not the same, but can some elaborate? How good in snow/rain/ice is AWD vs 4wd, and is one better for mild offroading - I camp a lot and drive on MILD off road trails, only maybe once a year will I drive a trail that I can actually get stuck in.

I know this is a lot, I just saw the forum and the rendering and got VERY excited. Have been bouncing between trucks for so long - a 4-door COMPACT truck with a 4ft + bed that can get over 25MPG and tow maybe 2-2.5k lbs would be a miracle if priced right.

From what little info we know the Maverick sounds like it has what you are looking for. The one thing i would be worried about is rear passenger space. It is going to be tight in my opinion. Id think it is basically the front & rear of the Escape/Bronco Sport without the rear seat slider. The rear seats will not be able to recline some either in a truck. That's probably ok for toddlers & smaller children, but may be tight for rear facing car seats. Its been awhile since i had to deal with them so not really sure.

Here is a good breakdown on the two...
  • Body-on-Frame: The vehicle’s structure has two basic parts: the body and the frame. The body – the basic “skeleton” of the vehicle that forms the cabin, engine bay, and cargo area – sits on top of a strong, flat frame, which supports the weight of the vehicle and holds the suspension and wheels. Think pickup trucks and very large SUVs.
  • Unibody: The vehicle’s body also serves as the frame, supporting the weight of the vehicle and holding the suspension and wheels. Think everything besides pickup trucks and very large SUVs.
Body on Frame: F150, Ranger, Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Ram Trucks, Chevy Trucks, Toyota Trucks, etc...

Unibody: Bronco Sport, Explorer, New Land Rover Defender & Discovery, Subarus, Jeep Cherokee, etc...

Towing info for the Bronco Sport which id think would be the same...
Ford Maverick Questions from a current 2011 Ranger Owner towing.JPG

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...df/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Dec3.pdf

The SEMA build from MAD Industries was pulling a Boreas Camper AT that has a 2200 dry weight.
Ford Maverick Questions from a current 2011 Ranger Owner bsc.JPG

AWD vs 4WD
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

I've only had experience with 4WD. My daughters SUV is AWD, but has never had to use it. It sounds like you do mild off-roading/over landing & judging by the videos of the Bronco Sport trying to prove itself id say it should be great for that...it seems to be really shining in that department from what ive seen.

OP
OP

dp4616

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks so much! Hopefully the 2.0l engine is not too much of a price tag - would have me lean more towards the Ranger if so. I cant wait to see this roll out, I think it will be a hit for sure.

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
Thanks so much! Hopefully the 2.0l engine is not too much of a price tag - would have me lean more towards the Ranger if so. I cant wait to see this roll out, I think it will be a hit for sure.
If the rumors are true, and the base model starts below $20K im hoping a fully loaded 2.0 with AWD from the Bronco Sport would be under $30K. Considering a New Ranger XL 4WD CrewCab is around $28K & up, and the XLT 4WD CrewCab is around $32K & up...i think that is reasonable.

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
Also everyone will need to keep in mind the option of the discount pricing options for Ford [if they allow it for the Maverick is to be seen].

"A" Plan are Ford Motor Company Employees and their direct family Son, Daughter, Spouse, Dad etc.
"Z" Plan are retired Ford Motor Company Employees and their direct family members as well.
"D" Plan are Ford Dealer Employees and their direct family members and requires documentation.
"X" Plan is for Ford Partner Organizations that have a partner code similar to a FIN for Fleet Partners.

There are also rumors of the Mustang Club Membership allowing discounts on Ford vehicles as well. No clue if this is correct, but i do know my employer offers plans. Most of this info i received from following the Bronco forum.

Reactions: Doc

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
From what little info we know the Maverick sounds like it has what you are looking for. The one thing i would be worried about is rear passenger space. It is going to be tight in my opinion. Id think it is basically the front & rear of the Escape/Bronco Sport without the rear seat slider. The rear seats will not be able to recline some either in a truck. That's probably ok for toddlers & smaller children, but may be tight for rear facing car seats. Its been awhile since i had to deal with them so not really sure.

Here is a good breakdown on the two...
  • Body-on-Frame: The vehicle’s structure has two basic parts: the body and the frame. The body – the basic “skeleton” of the vehicle that forms the cabin, engine bay, and cargo area – sits on top of a strong, flat frame, which supports the weight of the vehicle and holds the suspension and wheels. Think pickup trucks and very large SUVs.
  • Unibody: The vehicle’s body also serves as the frame, supporting the weight of the vehicle and holding the suspension and wheels. Think everything besides pickup trucks and very large SUVs.
Body on Frame: F150, Ranger, Bronco, Jeep Wrangler, Ram Trucks, Chevy Trucks, Toyota Trucks, etc...

Unibody: Bronco Sport, Explorer, New Land Rover Defender & Discovery, Subarus, Jeep Cherokee, etc...

Towing info for the Bronco Sport which id think would be the same...
towing.JPG

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...df/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Dec3.pdf

The SEMA build from MAD Industries was pulling a Boreas Camper AT that has a 2200 dry weight.
bsc.JPG

AWD vs 4WD
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27630736/awd-vs-4wd/

I've only had experience with 4WD. My daughters SUV is AWD, but has never had to use it. It sounds like you do mild off-roading/over landing & judging by the videos of the Bronco Sport trying to prove itself id say it should be great for that...it seems to be really shining in that department from what ive seen.
Yes, thanx for posting this! The Bronco Sport actually has a lower towing capacity than an AWD Escape? Yikes!

I owned a 2014 Escape AWD (same platform) and it had a 3,500 lb. towing capacity.
That low a towing capacity would be a deal-breaker for me. 😑

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

This is the best explanation of the difference between 4WD vs. AWD.. although with recent enhancements Subaru has made available on some of their models, as well as what Ford has done with AWD on the Bronco Sport, there is a little blurring between the two...

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you, was helpful. Will be keeping an eye on it. Was just reading about the 1.5L Ecoboost Dragon 3 cyl. While I like the numbers plenty, an internal timing belt worries me. Surprised they still use belts and not timing chains - especially if it is interior.
I've been lurking this forum for a while now but finally registered today. I've been doing a lot of reading on the 1.5 Ecoboost 3 cyl engine, mostly on the Bronco sport forums. I've been excitedly waiting for the new Maverick for quite some time but that engine has me really turned off. Not only is it an internal timing belt but it's also apparently an interference engine which I'm sure everyone knows that means that if the timing belt breaks or slips it's likely going to result in catastrophic engine failure. Plus being an internal timing belt means it will be expensive to replace as maintenance item. If this is the only engine option then I'm probably not going to be getting a Maverick unless I lease one which is not what I wanted to do. I know some will say I'm being overly critical or that I'm wrong but something like this just makes me feel like it's not built to last.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I've been lurking this forum for a while now but finally registered today. I've been doing a lot of reading on the 1.5 Ecoboost 3 cyl engine, mostly on the Bronco sport forums. I've been excitedly waiting for the new Maverick for quite some time but that engine has me really turned off. Not only is it an internal timing belt but it's also apparently an interference engine which I'm sure everyone knows that means that if the timing belt breaks or slips it's likely going to result in catastrophic engine failure. Plus being an internal timing belt means it will be expensive to replace as maintenance item. If this is the only engine option then I'm probably not going to be getting a Maverick unless I lease one which is not what I wanted to do. I know some will say I'm being overly critical or that I'm wrong but something like this just makes me feel like it's not built to last.
Then opt for the 4 cylinder eco-boost. I want a Lariat edition, larger engine, and I’m really hoping Ford decides to give it real 4WD

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am 100% sure they will offer the 2.0 ecoboost as an option in the Maverick, dont worry.

The only questionable thing is how far up the trim lines do you need to go to get it. In a pefect world you could just just go on the build calculator and check a box on ANY of the trims to get the bigger engine but if you look at the Escape/Bronco Sport thats not the case at all. Its only available on the highest trims.

TheRef

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a 2011 Ranger also, loved it! 2.3L, 5 speed, XLT extended cab. I ordered/got ecoboost XLT Maverick.My grandchildren had gotten too big to climb in back and get in jump seats. Everyone in family loves the Maverick. I highly recommend it - of course the only thing I missed is my clutch!! Good luck.
PS you will have no trouble selling the Ranger.
Sponsored