Questions from a current 2011 Ranger Owner

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thank you, was helpful. Will be keeping an eye on it. Was just reading about the 1.5L Ecoboost Dragon 3 cyl. While I like the numbers plenty, an internal timing belt worries me. Surprised they still use belts and not timing chains - especially if it is interior.
I've been lurking this forum for a while now but finally registered today. I've been doing a lot of reading on the 1.5 Ecoboost 3 cyl engine, mostly on the Bronco sport forums. I've been excitedly waiting for the new Maverick for quite some time but that engine has me really turned off. Not only is it an internal timing belt but it's also apparently an interference engine which I'm sure everyone knows that means that if the timing belt breaks or slips it's likely going to result in catastrophic engine failure. Plus being an internal timing belt means it will be expensive to replace as maintenance item. If this is the only engine option then I'm probably not going to be getting a Maverick unless I lease one which is not what I wanted to do. I know some will say I'm being overly critical or that I'm wrong but something like this just makes me feel like it's not built to last.
Only thing to be done to try and stem any woes of the 1.5L engine is to look at the previous usage and reliability data. Looks like it's been used in 4 different vehicles, counting the Bronco Sport, over the last 6 years. So it's not a new engine and there's probably some pretty good data there.

https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...family/ford-1-5-liter-ecoboost-dragon-engine/

Not telling you what to think or that you're wrong. Just suggesting to use data and facts, as opposed to feelings. That's the way I make most of my decisions at least.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
I am 100% sure they will offer the 2.0 ecoboost as an option in the Maverick, dont worry.

The only questionable thing is how far up the trim lines do you need to go to get it. In a pefect world you could just just go on the build calculator and check a box on ANY of the trims to get the bigger engine but if you look at the Escape/Bronco Sport thats not the case at all. Its only available on the highest trims.