David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi everyone,

One of the items on our radar for the Maverick is an overlanding rack. However, I don't want to build just some generic rack so this is to get an idea if what I want to offer is something everyone else is interested in.

I have an over landing trailer I've built already, specifically for this truck. I'd however like to just be able to take my gear, my over landing tent and dogs without a trailer. I'll describe what I'd like to offer below.

The idea is an adjustable height rack. The lowest point would keep an over landing tent out of the wind, which should keep fuel milage fairly unchanged. As much as I'm a power hungry car builder, I also appreciate getting 30 mpg!

This over landing rack could also be telescoped up (removable locking pins) to a height that would be slightly higher than the roof line so kayaks and such could be transported on top.

I'd also like to fill the sides with M.O.L.L.E panels for attaching gear to along with an optional rear M.O.L.L.E panel that would basically enclose the back like a truck cap. The idea for this enclosure for me is there are times I can't take my dog with me and I'd be able to leave them there, safe, under the shade of the tent. I can also then lock gear in the back.

This is not going to be a "cheap" rack to build and the shipping will be oversized freight, however, I believe the ability to do so much, for me at least, would make it worth the expense to build.

Let's hear some thoughts.

Thank you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update, we have the plates for the bed being laser cut and tubing on order. The truck has been on the dyno for 2 weeks straight.

This rack is in process though.

Cipher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Hi everyone,

One of the items on our radar for the Maverick is an overlanding rack. However, I don't want to build just some generic rack so this is to get an idea if what I want to offer is something everyone else is interested in.

I have an over landing trailer I've built already, specifically for this truck. I'd however like to just be able to take my gear, my over landing tent and dogs without a trailer. I'll describe what I'd like to offer below.

The idea is an adjustable height rack. The lowest point would keep an over landing tent out of the wind, which should keep fuel milage fairly unchanged. As much as I'm a power hungry car builder, I also appreciate getting 30 mpg!

This over landing rack could also be telescoped up (removable locking pins) to a height that would be slightly higher than the roof line so kayaks and such could be transported on top.

I'd also like to fill the sides with M.O.L.L.E panels for attaching gear to along with an optional rear M.O.L.L.E panel that would basically enclose the back like a truck cap. The idea for this enclosure for me is there are times I can't take my dog with me and I'd be able to leave them there, safe, under the shade of the tent. I can also then lock gear in the back.

This is not going to be a "cheap" rack to build and the shipping will be oversized freight, however, I believe the ability to do so much, for me at least, would make it worth the expense to build.

Let's hear some thoughts.

Thank you.
I am thinking about something similar to what you have outlined. I am debating whether to have the roof racks high over the cab or lower resting behind the cab. The high option about the cab fit my larger roof top tent without any overhang but then I will need to modify the antenna and take a hit on MPG. Lower option behind the cab will give better mpg and leave the antenna in place but will have significant overhang over the back of the bed.

bdaniel230

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT -Hot Chili Red - 4k Tow Fx4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I bought an Airstream Basecamp 16x which has 3" lift so it should be able to follow the truck pretty well. I am trying to find a roof rack that fits, something similar to the Gobi or Sahara, that will attach along the existing black rail channels in the roof. I have seen a picture of someone that has rails on their roof but I can't find out where they got them. I can fabricate the rails if I can find the mounting locations where the internal reinforcements are in the roof. Have the parts laser or water cut then I can tig weld them together and have them powder coated. I want to keep the hard folding tonneau cover over the bed so bed rails are out. I am looking toward retirement in a couple of years and I want to take my portable tig welder, my portable workbench, and a toolbox with me so I can build things for sale, on the road.
Getting pretty sick of offices and working for people over the past 60 years. Time for some fun and adventure.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.