First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh the humanity of plugging in a phone to a charger! Where will the elites end if not with making us plug our phone in! Arghhh! Start the revolt!

You can make phone calls and play music with a bluetooth connected phone! See the part below circled in red.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands 1632544570655
Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
The Sync 3 system in my 2016 Transit Connect had voice control that was next to useless. Seemed unable to recognize most words or phrases. Any open window rendered it completely unusable. Microphone placement may have contributed to it’s deficiencies. About the only thing I ever said to it was "play Bluetooth audio" which worked about 80% of the time. The entire audio module failed after 5 years. Replacement cost was quoted at almost $3,000 including labor. I’m hoping for better in my Lariat.

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can make phone calls and play music with a bluetooth connected phone! See the part below circled in red.

1632544464072.png
I don't care either way. I don't use voice commands and I don't use Apple CarPlay. Annoying and unnecessary tech to me. As long as I can BT stream my music, I am fine

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not looked too closely, but I've heard there are wireless adapters for Android Auto (I assume CarPlay, too). Not sure how good they are, but it might be worth looking at.
Good luck, Wireless ACP/AA is trash even when it’s integrated straight by the OEM, case in point my BMW. Laggy as hell (talking 3 second delay every time you pause/play/change track), heats up the phone, takes longer to connect than to plug in the cable, eats battery life, multiple drivers means going in to the settings every time to pair/unpair/disconnect. And they dared charge a subscription for that POS while also removing the ability for wired CarPlay…

Every time I see someone beg for wireless CarPlay I feel sad at how disappointed they’re going to be.

Also who the hell wants some crappy OEM voice recognition system instead of using the one that was developed by Apple/Google/Amazon for well over a decade on billions of inputs and trillions of samples. If you really can’t be bothered to plug in your phone then turn on “Hey, Siri” and make your calls that way. Come on people it’s not that hard.

Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bluetooth technology in general is rather pitiful. I have the usual array of Apple devices, and also hearing aids that use it. It’s a constant battle to get, and stay connected to any of them. The Sync 3 audio component failed in my 2016 Transit Connect last summer, and rather than pay the dealer $3000 to replace it, i spent $1200 on a touch-screen head unit. To use Apple CarPlay (which has much better sound quality than Bluetooth), I have to attach my phone with a cable, to a lead that the audio installer ran into the glove box. I have to either leave the glovebox door open when connected, or close the door on the $20 Apple cable that runs to my phone. I now leave the Apple cable hanging out of my closed glovebox door all the time so I can attach when I drive. It’s ugly, inconvenient, and in the way. I am hoping my Lariat will have wireless CarPlay capability that is reliable, or at least a built-in plug for a phone cable.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Sync 3 system in my 2016 Transit Connect had voice control that was next to useless. Seemed unable to recognize most words or phrases. Any open window rendered it completely unusable. Microphone placement may have contributed to it’s deficiencies. About the only thing I ever said to it was "play Bluetooth audio" which worked about 80% of the time. The entire audio module failed after 5 years. Replacement cost was quoted at almost $3,000 including labor. I’m hoping for better in my Lariat.
I don't know if it was a Sync system, but voice commands worked pretty well in my 2008 Focus. I'm sure the technology has improved. I'm just relieved to know that you CAN make phone calls and play music using voice commands WITHOUT Android Auto being connected to a USB port! But having said that, I am looking forward to Android Auto, especially for navigation when needed.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands 1632578412702

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not surprised by this. Every native voice recognition system I've encountered in cars has been hot garbage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just assumed that Assistant/Siri would serve most folks purposes.
You are 100% correct
Hey Siri is your button to ask to do stuff.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bluetooth technology in general is rather pitiful. I have the usual array of Apple devices, and also hearing aids that use it. It’s a constant battle to get, and stay connected to any of them. The Sync 3 audio component failed in my 2016 Transit Connect last summer, and rather than pay the dealer $3000 to replace it, i spent $1200 on a touch-screen head unit. To use Apple CarPlay (which has much better sound quality than Bluetooth), I have to attach my phone with a cable, to a lead that the audio installer ran into the glove box. I have to either leave the glovebox door open when connected, or close the door on the $20 Apple cable that runs to my phone. I now leave the Apple cable hanging out of my closed glovebox door all the time so I can attach when I drive. It’s ugly, inconvenient, and in the way. I am hoping my Lariat will have wireless CarPlay capability that is reliable, or at least a built-in plug for a phone cable.
For $1200 I’d say that installer really should have done a custom usb port location somewhere surrounding the center dash trim.

Lariat will have USBC and USBA (regular) ports right above the front storage cubby, so you can get a short cord and have it tucked back there out of the way.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands 1632584805881

------

That article is a bit confusing in how it describes the non-SYNC3 of XL and XLT (aka "Connected Touch Radio") voice control of text or phone calls, makes it seem like XL and XLT can't do hands-free voice control call and texting:

[...] it’s worth noting that there are still a few differences between the Maverick’s Connected Touch Radio and SYNC 3 in regards to native voice recognition. SYNC 3 gives users the ability to change radio stations, Sirius XM channels, and climate settings using their voice, and users can do the same with dedicated media devices like an iPod or iPod Touch.

Users can also use their phones wirelessly to make calls and have text messages read back to them. However, the base system does not have this capability [...]

Last edited:
OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You are 100% correct
Hey Siri is your button to ask to do stuff.
Well, Ford includes this "hot garbage" in the Lariat. The Sync 3 system includes native voice commands.

Sponsored

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For $1200 I’d say that installer really should have done a custom usb port location somewhere surrounding the center dash trim.

Lariat will have USBC and USBA (regular) ports right above the front storage cubby, so you can get a short cord and have it tucked back there out of the way.

1632584805881.png

I have never done any custom audio stuff. I suspect the reason they didn’t do some kind of custom dash plug-in might be because of liability issues. If they buggered up someone’s dash there’s no going back. I would guess the vendor may not trust a bunch of low-paid installers enough to risk it.

That article is a bit confusing in how it describes the non-SYNC3 of XL and XLT (aka "Connected Touch Radio") voice control of text or phone calls, makes it seem like XL and XLT can't do hands-free voice control call and texting:

[...] it’s worth noting that there are still a few differences between the Maverick’s Connected Touch Radio and SYNC 3 in regards to native voice recognition. SYNC 3 gives users the ability to change radio stations, Sirius XM channels, and climate settings using their voice, and users can do the same with dedicated media devices like an iPod or iPod Touch.

Users can also use their phones wirelessly to make calls and have text messages read back to them. However, the base system does not have this capability [...]

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Replacing the oem head unit seems like a bigger issue than a well placed usb port heh

Anyway, having an updated head unit is worth it. I blew $350 on an Android-based 10 inch touchscreen with Android Auto and it even has wireless Carplay, installed in my 2003 Honda Accord and it works well despite having an ugly interface. Added a reverse backup camera while I was at it. I knew I’d be driving this car at least 6 more months before the Maverick came through. My old head unit was busted since I bought it in 2015 so i was overdue. Ironically an old used OEM head unit was more expensive than the aftermarket ones.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands A309CA26-467F-4CCD-A0B5-3474DFA36E50

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands D06DABA3-8AD1-4F2E-A83D-FD0DE98AE5C3

Didj

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've not looked too closely, but I've heard there are wireless adapters for Android Auto (I assume CarPlay, too). Not sure how good they are, but it might be worth looking at.
I have a Car2Play adapter for wireless  CarPlay. It’s OK, but buggy at times. I go back and forth between plugging in and going wireless. I find myself needing to charge my phone in my commute so it doesn’t bother me to plug in.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Car2Play adapter for wireless  CarPlay. It’s OK, but buggy at times. I go back and forth between plugging in and going wireless. I find myself needing to charge my phone in my commute so it doesn’t bother me to plug in.
Yeah. I currently just plug in my phone and use it for nav, so I'm not worried about wired Android auto.
Sponsored