First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had a 2008 Ford Focus and with my phone paired via bluetooth I could press the voice button on the steering wheel and say things like "Call home". With a USB thumbdrive connected to the USB port I could say "Play some song" or "Play some artist". To clarify I'm speaking strictly of a bluetooth connection, and not with the phone connected to the USB port using Android Auto.

The quote shown below from the article below that seems to say that I would NOT be able to press the voice button and make calls or play music on my thumb drive using voice commands with a bluetooth paired phone. Does this mean you have to upgrade to Lariat and SYNC 3 to obtain this functionality?

"2022 Ford Maverick XL and XLT models lack native voice recognition capability and are therefore unable to change radio stations, temperature, or govern media players through simple verbal commands."

2022 Ford Maverick XL And XLT Do Not Offer SYNC 3: Here's Why (fordauthority.com)
Sponsored

atomguy245

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Bolt EUV, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is an odd omission, since the software would cost nothing to install. Just another way automakers create phony separation between trim levels using essentially zero cost features.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is an odd omission, since the software would cost nothing to install. Just another way automakers create phony separation between trim levels using essentially zero cost features.
I had a 2008 Ford Focus and with my phone paired via bluetooth I could press the voice button on the steering wheel and say things like "Call home". With a USB thumbdrive connected to the USB port I could say "Play some song" or "Play some artist". To clarify I'm speaking strictly of a bluetooth connection, and not with the phone connected to the USB port using Android Auto.

The quote shown below from the article below that seems to say that I would NOT be able to press the voice button and make calls or play music on my thumb drive using voice commands with a bluetooth paired phone. Does this mean you have to upgrade to Lariat and SYNC 3 to obtain this functionality?

"2022 Ford Maverick XL and XLT models lack native voice recognition capability and are therefore unable to change radio stations, temperature, or govern media players through simple verbal commands."

2022 Ford Maverick XL And XLT Do Not Offer SYNC 3: Here's Why (fordauthority.com)
Impossible to answer fully - but the fact that the Maverick is “CarPlay” compatible I think most tech types buying the Maverick will he headed toward CarPlay and let Apple dictate the capabilities. I’ve played with Apple CarPlay on a Bronco Sport and it seems to do everything I will need and maintain a safe driving experience.

Specifically, towards GoogleMap, and music selection. I fear following drivers who get obsessed with too much capabilities while driving and don't keep their eyes in the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yea, this really irks me that you can't do that in an almost $29,000 vehicle! My Ford Focus could do it, my $23,000 Hyundai Sonata can do it, and my wife's $21,000 Nissan can do it. Just one more ploy to get you to upgrade to the Lariat.

I'm wondering if with a bluetooth paired phone you can use the touch screen to make phone calls, and play music on a USB thumb drive. I could probably live with that, but I don't know if that that work work either at this point. I'll wait until some XL/XLT Mavericks get into peoples hands and then ask them. I would imagine that USB music would work with the touch screen, but Maverick would have to transfer your contacts in order to make phone calls using the touch screen. Not sure if it does or not. I don't want to have to connect my phone via a USB cable just to make a phone call!

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Impossible to answer fully - but the fact the the Maverick is “Car Play” compatible I think most tech types buying the Maverick will he headed toward Car Play and let Apple dictate the capabilities. I’ve played with Apple CarPlay on a Bronco Sport and it seems to do eveything I will need and maintain a safe driving experience.
I don't want to have to connect my phone via a USB cable just to make phone calls and play music on my thumb drive. Every vehicle I know of can do this without Android Auto. I would not mind connecting it via USB occasionally for navigation, but not every time I got into the vehicle.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may be a hardware omission to make the lower trims more producible given the chip shortage. It could be cheap hardware even, but if you can't get it right now you're stuck holding the whole program up.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not surprised by this. Every native voice recognition system I've encountered in cars has been hot garbage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just assumed that Assistant/Siri would serve most folks purposes.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm not surprised by this. Every native voice recognition system I've encountered in cars has been hot garbage.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just assumed that Assistant/Siri would serve most folks purposes.
But they offer native voice recognition on the top of the line Lariat. I don't know what you're talking about, but every vehicle I've been in it works well enough to make phone calls and play music on your thumb drive. That includes my Ford Focus, my Wife's Nissan, my brother's Mazda MX5, my Hyundai Sonata, to name a few. All much less expensive than the Lariat.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Understandable.

My experience of renting various types of cars over the past handful of years has been: unless it's connecting to android audio it's an exercise in frustration. Anything beyond "next" or "answer" has been not good. I almost always default to going directly to Android Auto.

Most of my attempts are with rentals so that probably means I'm dealing with XL/XLT level trims so that likely explains my experience.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't want to have to connect my phone via a USB cable just to make phone calls and play music on my thumb drive. Every vehicle I know of can do this without Android Auto. I would not mind connecting it via USB occasionally for navigation, but not every time I got into the vehicle.
Oh the humanity of plugging in a phone to a charger! Where will the elites end if not with making us plug our phone in! Arghhh! Start the revolt!

Sponsored
OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh the humanity of plugging in a phone to a charger! Where will the elites end if not with making us plug our phone in! Arghhh! Start the revolt!
Having to do it every time you get into your car is a pain in the ass. It's a matter of convenience like a push button start. Which Ford omits from the XLT as well.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having to do it every time you get into your car is a pain in the ass. It's a matter of convenience like a push button start. Which Ford omits from the XLT as well.
I've not looked too closely, but I've heard there are wireless adapters for Android Auto (I assume CarPlay, too). Not sure how good they are, but it might be worth looking at.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've not looked too closely, but I've heard there are wireless adapters for Android Auto (I assume CarPlay, too). Not sure how good they are, but it might be worth looking at.
I've looked at those too like AA Auto, and overall they are slow and do not work well.

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can make phone calls and play music with a bluetooth connected phone! See the part below circled in red.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands 1632544464072

OP
OP

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

You can make phone calls and play music with a bluetooth connected phone! See the part below circled in red.

Ford Maverick Question about XLT with Luxury Package Voice Commands 1632544545865
Sponsored