Sponsored

PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal!

• Thread starter Deleted member 9167
  • Start date
  • Watchers 11

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You need to loosen the bolts and pull the flares away from the metal fender about a 32nd of an inch, then retighten the bolts. If the rears are still too close, take them off and shave a small amount off with a new xacto blade.

you can use PPF and not adjust it like I described above, but the micro-vibrations from wind and movement will wear through it eventually. The edge of the flare is like the edge of a finger nail. It’ll wear through.

the foam is another good solution, mentioned above.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

Went to my dealer last Friday to ask what, if anything, could be done to fix this problem now; before it gets worse. Dealer said the warranty does not extend to accessories or damage caused by them.
They did suggest we all contact Ford Customer Service and report this issue and hopefully a TSB will be issued. I am seriously considering removing the guards next weekend so it does not get worse, touching up the areas with the Ford paint kit pen, and try to figure out what can be installed in between, maybe PPF? Any suggestions?
I'm not surprised that Ford wouldn't warranty this. I forgot to even ask when I was in for service last week. I also doubt there will be a TSB issued... If anything, there may be a revision to the actual part itself with a change in design.

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is what Ford replied concerning my report of the splash guards rubbing into our Maverick paint:
"I have created a case and had it sent to our Truck Team for further review. The Truck Team will have the resources needed to find out the cause of your Maverick's body damage and to determine if any further steps need to be taken. Once your case has been fully looked over, they will reach out to you with further information and assistance. Thanks again for reaching out to us about this; your case number is CAS-37382401-W3Z3L1.
Drew
Ford Social Media Team"

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

Here is what Ford replied concerning my report of the splash guards rubbing into our Maverick paint:
"I have created a case and had it sent to our Truck Team for further review. The Truck Team will have the resources needed to find out the cause of your Maverick's body damage and to determine if any further steps need to be taken. Once your case has been fully looked over, they will reach out to you with further information and assistance. Thanks again for reaching out to us about this; your case number is CAS-37382401-W3Z3L1.
Drew
Ford Social Media Team"
How/where did you raise this ticket?

Sponsored

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How/where did you raise this ticket?
There is a user account on this forum named "Ford Motor Company" which you can search for. I then clicked on the user profile and then start conversation.

AnthonyMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s what it looks like after you pull the flares out, trim the plastic back a bit, and bolt them back with a gap:

Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! 60D40107-9EE9-42D8-8941-86BABF294719
Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! 49F429A7-0832-4258-B649-C23659F6C9A4

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drew
Ford Social Media Team"
UPDATE: Ford has now called me about the case # above. They tell me to go to my dealer and have the paint wear under the splash guards evaluated, then call 1-866-631-3990 and let the dealer speak to a Ford rep, then they will either try to repair the paint under warranty or open something called a "Financial Assistance Case" to help solve the issue.

I suggest everyone here who has paint damage from the splash guards contact Ford now!!!

Sponsored

Coolbeans4me

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I checked mine last night... an ever so slight "line" was starting to form on the rear ones, I have only had them on for a few months. I removed the 2 screws and 2 fasteners which allowed access to the painted area under the flaps.

I then put a couple of good coats of wax along the edge where the mudflaps run. Waxing got rid of the lines that were starting to form...

In my garage I found some 3/8" wide x 3/16" thick window/door weatherstrip tape. I cut a piece long enough to cover the area where the flaps are in contact with the painted area, about 7" long. The weatherstrip is sticky on one side, which I attached along the edge of the mudflaps.

The weatherstrip fit perfectly, and "compresses" somewhat once the flaps were reinstalled, so you don't really notice it at all, it makes a nice "gasket" like seal that will now protect the paint, and also prevent dirt from accumulating between the flaps and the painted surface.

Maverick_mudflaps_01.jpg
This is a great idea and would keep the raised edges of the mudflaps away from the bare metal so they wouldn’t rub against the paint.

I just received my mudflaps yesterday and I looked closely at the raised edges that seem to be causing the paint problem. I used a Dremel tool with a small sander wheel and sanded down the raised edges so that the section was flat and would not be cutting into the paint. It took a few minutes to sand down all 4 mudflaps where the raised edges exist but this will hopefully prevent the paint scraping and scratches.

Thanks.

Younglefthander

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat, 22 Bronco Sport Big Ben
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To the OP CactusgrayinPA: Shout out to you for posting, and I must say, this is exactly how a forum is supposed to work.
I to put on the Splash Guards not long after I got my Carbonized Grey Maverick back in March. As soon as I saw this post when it was posted in Mid-June, I pulled mine off and sure enough, the rear started to make a line into the paint. The fronts were ok. I removed and trimmed off the sharp edge of the guard. Very easy to do. I haven't put back on yet as I want to get some type of protection to put on the guards so this will not happen again. I was also able to paint correct and get most of the paint corrected. Didn't try for perfection as I plan to put the guards back on and I didn't want to go through the clear coat. This picture shows what the edge of the splash guard did to the paint. This is the rear and both sides looked like this. Thanks again for posting.
Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! 2022-07-06 20.15.25

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

To the OP CactusgrayinPA: Shout out to you for posting, and I must say, this is exactly how a forum is supposed to work.
Glad I was able to help. Good to know that your paint doesn't look as bad as mine and you were able to correct it.

Benilla

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

UPDATE: Ford has now called me about the case # above. They tell me to go to my dealer and have the paint wear under the splash guards evaluated, then call 1-866-631-3990 and let the dealer speak to a Ford rep, then they will either try to repair the paint under warranty or open something called a "Financial Assistance Case" to help solve the issue.

I suggest everyone here who has paint damage from the splash guards contact Ford now!!!
What was Ford's fix? I'm in Canada and my dealer is trying to get 3M approved for the area where the mud flaps contact the paint and that's their "Fix"

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What was Ford's fix? I'm in Canada and my dealer is trying to get 3M approved for the area where the mud flaps contact the paint and that's their "Fix"
Have not got a "FIX" solution yet; waiting on my Ford dealer to coordinate with Ford Customer service for what to do next. The body shop said the can obviously remove the flaps and fix the paint. I'm hoping Ford will also credit me the cost of the flaps and I will replace them with RokBlokz.
Sponsored