Sponsored

PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal!

• Thread starter Deleted member 9167
  • Start date
  • Watchers 11

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Yeah, I don't see how a "splash guard" that mounts inside the fender can "wear paint down" outside the fender?

Have had mine on for @ 6 months/9k miles. Took a look and all looks fine.

OP
OP

Deleted member 9552

They wear the paint off, right down to the sheet metal. That's it.

All four fenders look like this on my truck. Some better, some worse. Only had them on for maybe 5k miles.

PXL_20220603_201621224_exported_860_1654305688440.jpg
PXL_20220603_201638267.jpg
How can this happen? These are permanently affixed. with screws, correct? They shouldn't vibrate - something doesn't look right. Is there body filler in that area?

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I don't see how a "splash guard" that mounts inside the fender can "wear paint down" outside the fender?
They're pocketed to wrap around to the outside of the wheel wheel.

Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! 1655993499290

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

How can this happen? These are permanently affixed. with screws, correct? They shouldn't vibrate - something doesn't look right. Is there body filler in that area?
They mount permanently with screws on the inside of the wheel well, but the splash guard itself wraps around the outside on the paint. I suspect that vibration and dirt buildup may have cause my issue.

Sponsored

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
Yeah, now I see.

That's not good. Do you drill your own holes to mount?

I'd guess you're supposed to allow for clearance.

They're pocketed to wrap around to the outside of the wheel wheel.

1655993499290.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

Yeah, now I see.

That's not good. Do you drill your own holes to mount?

I'd guess you're supposed to allow for clearance.
You reuse holes that are already there on the inside of the fender well. You only need to drill 2 holes on the bottom side of the bumper lip for the support brackets.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No issues at all for me.

These OEM Splash Guards have been installed since early January so about 6 months.

Just got back from a 2804 mile vacation trip so lots of high speed driving with wind and rain.

I just inspected right now and no issues with paint seen.

I installed them myself and they are very snug with no movement pushing or pulling on them.

I wonder if those experiencing issues had them factory or 3rd party installed incorrectly.

EDIT: August 2023

I was uninstalling these because I was selling my MY22 Maverick to Carvana to have funds to buy my MY23 Maverick that is being built on Sep 9, 2023. Carvana's offer is the same with or without the flaps.

The fronts had no issue but the rears definitely scratched the paint.

So I left the rears on so the scratches are not seen.

On my MY23 Maverick I will put on the foam solution mentioned below in post #28 for the front to protect the paint.

I will buy new rear ones mentioned in post #67 in this thread for the rear. Those have no problems with paint wear.

Plasticolor 000539R01 Ford Oval Logo Easy Fit Mud Guard

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 9167

I wonder if those experiencing issues had them factory or 3rd party installed incorrectly.
Well, I installed mine myself, but I doubt I put them on wrong. You push a metal clip on the fender to accept a screw, and then tighten. Fairly straightforward...

FYI my rears were definitely worse than the fronts. Maybe not everyone will have this problem - just sharing pictures and commentary specific to my truck.

Sponsored

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just checked mine too.. Installed them myself at about 1000 miles, now have 4100miles.
The rears are worse than the front, but definitely eating into the paint.

stevhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Almost 3000 miles on mine, no visible signs of damage. Another thing to keep an eye on.

Milous

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT Alto Blu, LUX, Sunroof, delivered 3/18/22
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I checked mine last night... an ever so slight "line" was starting to form on the rear ones, I have only had them on for a few months. I removed the 2 screws and 2 fasteners which allowed access to the painted area under the flaps.

I then put a couple of good coats of wax along the edge where the mudflaps run. Waxing got rid of the lines that were starting to form...

In my garage I found some 3/8" wide x 3/16" thick window/door weatherstrip tape. I cut a piece long enough to cover the area where the flaps are in contact with the painted area, about 7" long. The weatherstrip is sticky on one side, which I attached along the edge of the mudflaps.

The weatherstrip fit perfectly, and "compresses" somewhat once the flaps were reinstalled, so you don't really notice it at all, it makes a nice "gasket" like seal that will now protect the paint, and also prevent dirt from accumulating between the flaps and the painted surface.

Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! Maverick_mudflaps_01

Last edited:

mspmms

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
'MERICA
Threads
Reaction score
U.S.A. Indianapolis, Indiana (Downtown Indy)
Vehicle(s)
2022 XL Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OEM Ford Splash Guards are wearing paint down to metal!
;)
Ford Maverick PSA: Anyone with OEM Ford Splash Guards - they wear paint down to metal! ware metal.pn

Last edited:

Randy H.

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick & Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Went to my dealer last Friday to ask what, if anything, could be done to fix this problem now; before it gets worse. Dealer said the warranty does not extend to accessories or damage caused by them.
They did suggest we all contact Ford Customer Service and report this issue and hopefully a TSB will be issued. I am seriously considering removing the guards next weekend so it does not get worse, touching up the areas with the Ford paint kit pen, and try to figure out what can be installed in between, maybe PPF? Any suggestions?
Sponsored