First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So let's see...the target demographic is someone who wanted a bed on their SUV or Xover so they buy a Maverick and then turn it into an SUV? :D

I couldn't resist. I know a lot of people with these on their trucks but they were never for me. It just struck me as odd given the stated demographic.
Sponsored

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
For paint matched fiberglass caps, those prices aren't out of the park but I'd rather have a cap that is flush with the roofline.
I agree; I think the price is fair for a paint-matched fiberglass cap. The ARE DCU on my Frontier was $3000 new. It's not paint-matched, but it has a laundry list of options.

So let's see...the target demographic is someone who wanted a bed on their SUV or Xover so they buy a Maverick and then turn it into an SUV? :D

I couldn't resist. I know a lot of people with these on their trucks but they were never for me. It just struck me as odd given the stated demographic.
If/when I get a Maverick (holding my breath for an AWD hybrid) I'd order a cap on my way home from the dealership.

I've had the most popular options for pickup beds...headache rack, ladder rack, tonneau cover, truck cap. At this point, I'll always have a truck cap. Anything that can't fit in the bed I wouldn't be interested in lifting or pushing that high anyway...I'd rather rent a ramp trailer.

Sure, a Ford Explorer has about the same cargo area length, but good luck carrying plywood or concrete or topsoil without damaging/dirtying up the interior. Not to mention it's a lot easier to tie cargo down (including making racks or mounts for stuff) in a pickup bed than an SUV's cargo area.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$$$$ but still might get it. Just not yet. Stick with the tri-fold tonneau for now and we'll see about the topper later.

Sponsored

QuesoEnFuego

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I plan to get a topper (not sure whether cloth or fiberglass). For me being able to put a wet, sheddy dog or a muddy mountain bike in there and lock it is the use case.

millertyme15

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano, Chrysler 200, Jeep Wrangler
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my first truck. I don't get the toppers, turning it into an SUV........Just buy an SUV:oops:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This will be my first truck. I don't get the toppers, turning it into an SUV........Just buy an SUV:oops:
Can't take the back half of roof off a Ford Escape when you want, though. Or have a built in wall between the cargo and passenger compartment.

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What this needs, to me, is a velcro on mesh tent wall that goes from the open topper door to the open truck bed. Then you got a tent with a built in power plug to blow up a twin air mattress and run a cpap.

ace1642

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
That’s waaay too much for that size of bed.
I paid $1,600 for an ARE topper for my f150s 5’5” bed that had a light on the inside and bare fiberglass. I would only spend $1,600 - $2,000 on a topper today. I’ll just stick with the tri-fold tonneau for now.

Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What this needs, to me, is a velcro on mesh tent wall that goes from the open topper door to the open truck bed. Then you got a tent with a built in power plug to blow up a twin air mattress and run a cpap.
I don't think we've determined yet if the 400W outlets are powered-up when the vehicle isn't running (at least on the 2.0).

HRG

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think we've determined yet if the 400W outlets are powered-up when the vehicle isn't running (at least on the 2.0).

HRG
You are going to want to leave the engine running, at least that is how I do on m 2012 escape hybrid when I've slept in it. When the batteries are full the hybrid turns off the engine. Then when the batteries have drained the engine turns back on and charges them back up then cuts off.

eta this is the kind of thing I am trying to talk about -
Ford Maverick Pricing & Part #: 2022 Maverick Bed Cap / Camper Topper by SNUG TOP SPORT (Be Camper-Tent-Full-Size-Truck-1-1536x1536

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
An inexpensive 40mpg vehicle? If they made an SUV at the price and mpg I would get that.

I priced out at around 24K, so 26-27k still not too bad....and the 40 mpg!

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Thing I don't get is why are all the prices (except commercial) the same? If my Alto Blue truck paint was an upcharge, why wouldn't a like-painted topper have a similar price increase?
Because only the car manufacturers uncharge for paint. The small businesses that create accessories don't charge extra for blue paint.
Sponsored