2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

With the news about the huge price increase on the new Lightning, here's a not-so-bold prediction about the 2023 Maverick. The Ecoboost base model will cost less than the hybrid.

Tell me I'm wrong...
Sponsored

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
The tech specs for 2023 show that the hybrid is still considered standard. Ford will not make the standard engine cost more than the alternative.

Ford Maverick PREDICTION: MY23 HYBRID WILL COST MORE THAN MY23 ECOBOOST 1660072213533

Now if the specs had shown the Eco as standard, you'd likely be on to something.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

AnnieWaits

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If they were going to do that, they would probably offer the 1.5 liter three cylinder from the Escape and Bronco Sport the base engine and slot the hybrid between that and the 2.0T. Not worth doing EPA certification on another powertrain on a relatively low volume product like the Maverick, though.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

which costs more to build?
Well, I don't know for sure, but that's my whole point in making the prediction. My premise is that EV components -- in this case, the hybrid battery in the Maverick and related parts -- are rising in cost far more quickly than ICE components.

As such, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Ford now says hybrids are going to cost more because it is costing them more to produce them.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The price increase if I read correctly on the Lightnings has to do with a 7K tax rebate for green energy vehicles in this new spending bill. If they didn't price it upwards they'd be losing 7k on the price so in the main the price increase is a wash if you fill a tax return.

Tirpitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid+Lux in Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Didn’t they already basically halve the price difference between the hybrid and Eco-boost when they did their July price increase? What was the old price spread between the two- it is $435 now.

Update- just looked and one source from the original release has the 2.0L as a $1,085 upcharge over the hybrid. If correct the price difference dropped 60%. Another way to look at it is that the price of the hybrid increased $1,000 in July but an Eco-boost only went up $350.

Last edited:
Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I don't know for sure, but that's my whole point in making the prediction. My premise is that EV components -- in this case, the hybrid battery in the Maverick and related parts -- are rising in cost far more quickly than ICE components.

As such, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Ford now says hybrids are going to cost more because it is costing them more to produce them.
I think the turbo motor/transmission costs more to build and insert than the hybrid.

The Ecvt is pretty simple and proven. The 2.5L is pretty old and probably optimal for money per horsepower. Battery pack is so much smaller than people would guess.

OP
OP
pa-outdoorsman

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think the turbo motor/transmission costs more to build and insert than the hybrid.

The Ecvt is pretty simple and proven. The 2.5L is pretty old and probably optimal for money per horsepower. Battery pack is so much smaller than people would guess.
But what does the battery cost? And how much did it cost a year ago? And how much will it cost a year from now?

Hey, you might be right. I just like talking about Mavs...
Sponsored