Sponsored

PPF + Ceramic, PPF alone, or Ceramic Alone? - What to do (and in what order)

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, so this will be my first ever new car I have owned. I have leased new before, but don't care about leased vehicles paint and condition. But this is gonna be my "baby" so I want to protect her. I have never done PPF or Ceramic on any vehicle before.

So the question is. Do I do both, and if so, in what order? Or if you do one, the other one is not necessary, and which one would that be... PPF or ceramic.

I will not be doing this myself. Will take it to a pro to do.
Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here’s the $.02 tour… I can write more tonight if you have questions.

If you want it to look it’s best for the longest amount of time, ppf is better than ceramic. If you want ease of cleaning, ceramic is the answer. If you want both, then you need both.
Ceramic needs to be maintained. Ppf needs to be replaced. Both are expensive to have done professionally. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a precut ppf kit (not that one exists for the maverick yet). If you know what you’re doing, you could apply a ceramic coating yourself, but they need to be sanded off of you screw them up. And you need to have the paint perfect and properly cleaned before applying the ceramic coating.

anything that can be sprayed is not a proper ceramic coating.

Last edited:

Ford88

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat
PPF needs to be applied before ceramic so if you’re at all considering PPF make sure to do that first. Ceramic protects paint and clear coat, PPF prevents chips / nicks.

OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
PPF needs to be applied before ceramic so if you’re at all considering PPF make sure to do that first. Ceramic protects paint and clear coat, PPF prevents chips / nicks.
I am not quite sure I understand this. The PPF is a film right? So you are putting the ceramic coat over the film? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it the other way around?

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am not quite sure I understand this. The PPF is a film right? So you are putting the ceramic coat over the film? Wouldn't it make more sense to do it the other way around?
IIRC if you ceramic coat first, the PPF likely will not adhere properly. It has to be put on first and then ceramic goes over it. When my dad PPF’d his F250 last month they asked multiple times if he had ceramic coated it and asked him not to until after

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK, so this will be my first ever new car I have owned. I have leased new before, but don't care about leased vehicles paint and condition. But this is gonna be my "baby" so I want to protect her. I have never done PPF or Ceramic on any vehicle before.

So the question is. Do I do both, and if so, in what order? Or if you do one, the other one is not necessary, and which one would that be... PPF or ceramic.

I will not be doing this myself. Will take it to a pro to do.
I got several quotes for a PPF bra and complete Ceramic. The bestI found locally was $2,600.

I’ve decided to do the Ceramic myself and forego the PPF. It was $800.00 for the bra alone.

OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sirk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick XL Hybrid, '05 Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Speed2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TSX Sportwagon
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I own a PPF business, but I don't own the patterns. My software lets me cut the individual pieces so when my truck arrives it will get completely covered.

Sponsored

06Warrior

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Person
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' HD Road Glide, 22’ Sporster S
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My Mustang I did PPF then ceramic coating. I put PPF on 1/3 hood, front bumper, head lights, mirrors and lower sections in front of rear wheels.

Wish I did whole hood. Have a few rock chips further back from where PPF stops.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hard to justify either on a $23000 truck in my case. Makes sense to PPF a car and do ceramic on top if you are Shmee150 though.

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
I found someone who is well-rated to do partial front PPF for me for like $500. I'll probably see the lines but I'm not that bothered by it, and full front PPF was like $1800 which I can't justify on a 25k truck.
Sponsored