Power Train Guesses?

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Not posting for politics, but for the idea that since Ford no longer makes cars [except Mustang] in the US would an electric Marverick made in Mexico fall under this criteria?
https://www.motor1.com/news/482009/president-biden-clean-electric-government-vehicles/
If at least 50% of it is made in America it sounds like, if I understand his statement correctly. I'm not sure how much of the Bronco Sport is "made in America". I'd imagine the Maverick would follow a similar ratio, just as a general idea.

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I have been poking around Ford's C2 scaleable architecture platform for sub compact, compact and midsize applications. It appears the Lincoln Corsair (Escape sized) version of their luxury counterpart offers the 2.3T as an option above the 2.0T. I'm dreaming, but that 2.3T would be awesome option on a higher trim level Maverick. It's probably too close to Ranger at that point. Anything with an open bed that Ford produces appears to not be able to even share such components with the next segment up. If it were traditional styled CUV/SUV, all is fair game to have overlap of engines offered in both segments, so it seems from recent history. Who is going to be the first to swap out their 2.0T for a 2.3T assuming the 2.0T is even offered, of course?

Edit: In addition, I was surprised to read the 1.5T (Dragon) engine utilizes both port and direct injection, unlike the 2.0T and 2.3T engines. Curious if Ford updates those two again for similar configuration.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I think Ford will put a 1.5L inline-3 and a 2.0L inline-4 in the Maverick like the Bronco Sport. We already know there's going to be a hybrid, likely the 2.5 from the Escape. If they're going to have any chance of building a sub-20K pickup, a turbocharged engine will not do it. So probably a NA four-cylinder of some sort, maybe 2.5L (I'm guessing). Transmission-wise, there's obviously going to be an 8spd auto/CVT, but please Ford offer a manual as well!
Not posting for politics, but for the idea that since Ford no longer makes cars [except Mustang] in the US would an electric Marverick made in Mexico fall under this criteria?
https://www.motor1.com/news/482009/president-biden-clean-electric-government-vehicles/
Not a chance. Given how expensive EVs get and how the C2 platform isn't ment to support a pure-electric powertrain, it probably won't happen.

Reactions: Doc