Sponsored

Poll - Illinois members who have their Mavericks

Illinois Members - Which type of license plate did the dealership give you?

• Total voters

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT, 21 Bronco OBX SAS, 10 Fusion SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For the Illinois members lucky enough to have taken delivery of your Maverick. What type of License Plate did the Dealership end up giving you?

I have (2) different active registration/non used plates I am going to use when my Maverick comes in. The B Truck plates that came off of my F150 I traded in for my Bronco or the standard plates that came with my Bronco - I have since swapped to custom plates for the Bronco.

Obviously I would rather use the standard plates with the cheaper registration renewal. Just seeing if anyone was able to get standard non B Truck plates from the dealership.
Sponsored

glohworm

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No vehicle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was surprised when the dealer gave me B plates yesterday. I live just outside Chicago and they're rules on B trucks are quite restrictive. No overnight parking of pickups on residential streets without city sticker. It goes on and on. But is the Maverick truly deserving of B plates. It's been my understanding that if a vehicle has more passenger space than cargo space, then it shouldn't be classified a truck. I hope others can chime in here and give their thoughts on this.

OP
OP
AceGoliath

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was surprised when the dealer gave me B plates yesterday. I live just outside Chicago and they're rules on B trucks are quite restrictive. No overnight parking of pickups on residential streets without city sticker. It goes on and on. But is the Maverick truly deserving of B plates. It's been my understanding that if a vehicle has more passenger space than cargo space, then it shouldn't be classified a truck. I hope others can chime in here and give their thoughts on this.
I think we will all be getting B plates from the dealers.

The only thing you can do to circumvent the system is to get vanity/custom/specialty passenger vehicle plates. Which really aren't that much off pricewise from B truck plates. B truck plates are $151 a year for renewal.

https://www.ilsos.gov/departments/vehicles/license_plate_guide/b_truck.html

Last edited:

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Reviving this thread…

Rummaged inside the SOS ‘Pick a Plate’ site, after being informed by my dealer “the Maverick gets a B plate “. Uh oh…

Lake Shore Drive could be a problem, overnight street parking with a B plate in my town a larger potential problem.

Nothing definitive found in the Pick a Plate site, sent a question about what a ‘’Second Division ‘ vehicle is…which I’ve now been informed the Maverick is.

Received a reply from one of Jesse White’s guys, same day, he stating that either a B plate OR a Specialty plate are license options and the dealer must provide a Specialty plate if I request it. It’ll be an Environmental plate, a % of the $ going to the State Parks. OK, fine.

Not intending to be a dick, I forwarded my salesman the SOS email, so he knows my intentions once I get that much anticipated phone call, email or text!

I have a VIN # and build date of 6-6, from a 9-21-2021 Order Confirmation. 8 months gestation, Salesman said it’d be 6-9 months with no glitches. Nailed it!

Stay tuned, the roller coaster ride continues…

OP
OP
AceGoliath

AceGoliath

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Reviving this thread…

Rummaged inside the SOS ‘Pick a Plate’ site, after being informed by my dealer “the Maverick gets a B plate “. Uh oh…

Lake Shore Drive could be a problem, overnight street parking with a B plate in my town a larger potential problem.

Nothing definitive found in the Pick a Plate site, sent a question about what a ‘’Second Division ‘ vehicle is…which I’ve now been informed the Maverick is.

Received a reply from one of Jesse White’s guys, same day, he stating that either a B plate OR a Specialty plate are license options and the dealer must provide a Specialty plate if I request it. It’ll be an Environmental plate, a % of the $ going to the State Parks. OK, fine.

Not intending to be a dick, I forwarded my salesman the SOS email, so he knows my intentions once I get that much anticipated phone call, email or text!

I have a VIN # and build date of 6-6, from a 9-21-2021 Order Confirmation. 8 months gestation, Salesman said it’d be 6-9 months with no glitches. Nailed it!

Stay tuned, the roller coaster ride continues…
When I picked up my Bronco I wanted a specialty plate, but they said they don’t do them at the dealer and will give me a standard plate.

I had to wait for my standard plate to activate in the IL SOS system before I was able to pick a plate. Took about a month for it to pop up in the system after purchasing the Bronco.

Then about another 3 weeks to get it made and sent in the mail on “expedite”.

Sponsored

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve heard others with the same tale, I intend to visit a SOS facility in person to ask them what the SOS says my options are. Then go from that point.

Hate to pile on, but the Dealers continue to show a single minded, ‘this is how we’ve always done it’ mentality. We’ll see what happens…

DermotF

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dermot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just picked mine up Saturday….. and got B plates

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Maverick 2.0L XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of restrictions on trucks in IL; they give the cops tons of excuses to pull you over.

Cannot drive in the inside lane on highways for instance.

Prohibited from any street designated a 'Boulevard'.

Many of the restrictions make no sense for something like a Maverick, but technically, they'd still apply.

One would hope that the Cops would have more serious things to prioritize than some guy driving a Maverick in the fast lane on the Stevenson, but hey... if that monthly tickets-quota hasn't been fulfilled yet, that Mav is fair game, LOL.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Illinois Boulevard update: first Maverick seen in the wild, mid-April, an EB of a color I can’t name, was stalked northbound on LSD, which is a boulevard.

Driver seemed unaware and unconcerned, initially…as I inspected the rear deck, then slowly passed and eventually pulled in front to view its front in the rear view mirror.

He quickly switched lanes and took off like Meatloaf (‘Bat Out of Hell’), not to be seen again.

If you’re that driver and reading this and remember the interaction, sorry. Hadn’t seen a live Maverick until then!

TK421

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 HD Sporty, 2012 Honda Fit
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got the B plates from the dealer, no trade in. Upgraded to Da Bears plates.
Ford Maverick Poll - Illinois members who have their Mavericks 58E09E3F-7687-4C07-BA19-583097A93A0B

Sponsored

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For the Illinois members lucky enough to have taken delivery of your Maverick. What type of License Plate did the Dealership end up giving you?

I have (2) different active registration/non used plates I am going to use when my Maverick comes in. The B Truck plates that came off of my F150 I traded in for my Bronco or the standard plates that came with my Bronco - I have since swapped to custom plates for the Bronco.

Obviously I would rather use the standard plates with the cheaper registration renewal. Just seeing if anyone was able to get standard non B Truck plates from the dealership.
Never gave this a thought. Thanks for the heads up. Is there any benefit to B plates?

Hkak45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lots of restrictions on trucks in IL; they give the cops tons of excuses to pull you over.

Cannot drive in the inside lane on highways for instance.

Prohibited from any street designated a 'Boulevard'.
This is false. Maybe for the wonderful place called Chicago, but Chicago does not represent all the laws in IL thank God. In free country Illinois we can drive trucks as we please and pass on inside lane of highway just like anyone else, the non trucks on inside lane only applies to large commercial trucks.
And never heard of a law that B plate trucks can't drive on boulevards, but I also do everything in my power to stay out of crook county so maybe that's why.

Speaking of which, why is everyone concerned with B plate or passenger plate in IL? Aren't they both the $151 fee? My bronco plate just renewed and it was still $151 just like my car is

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This is false. Maybe for the wonderful place called Chicago, but Chicago does not represent all the laws in IL thank God. In free country Illinois we can drive trucks as we please and pass on inside lane of highway just like anyone else, the non trucks on inside lane only applies to large commercial trucks.
And never heard of a law that B plate trucks can't drive on boulevards, but I also do everything in my power to stay out of crook county so maybe that's why.

Speaking of which, why is everyone concerned with B plate or passenger plate in IL? Aren't they both the $151 fee? My bronco plate just renewed and it was still $151 just like my car is
Rules of the Road Laws are the purview of the State, not individual localities. Enforcement might vary, but the laws hold state-wide.
I speak from experience, having been ticketed over the years for each of those infractions when driving a pickup...and yes, both times were in Cook county.

Thanks for enlightening me though, I didn't realize there remained a rebel part of IL which remains free.
Escape if you can.

Hkak45

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Rules of the Road Laws are the purview of the State, not individual localities.
I speak from experience, having been ticketed over the years for each of those infractions when driving a pickup...and yes, both times were in Cook county.
Hate to say it but You got ticketed both times because you broke the Cook County/City of Chicago stupid laws they make up. Those are specific codes for Chicago only, which is why I stay the hell away from that city ( well many other reasons too lol). IL driving laws have no such restrictions, just as information for any other IL people wondering about B plates.

I'd never want to escape IL, love this state but unfortunately like they say one bad apple ruins the bunch (or in this case one bad city). It would be like driving through Gary Indiana and thinking that represented a whole state of people.

GaryHoosier

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hate to say it but You got ticketed both times because you broke the Cook County/City of Chicago stupid laws they make up. Those are specific codes for Chicago only, which is why I stay the hell away from that city ( well many other reasons too lol). IL driving laws have no such restrictions, just as information for any other IL people wondering about B plates.

I'd never want to escape IL, love this state but unfortunately like they say one bad apple ruins the bunch (or in this case one bad city). It would be like driving through Gary Indiana and thinking that represented a whole state of people.
Believe it or not, Gary IN was at one time a really thriving city. Mr. Gary built it from nothing, and in just a couple of years, as the location for his steel-mill.
It died almost as quickly in the 60's...corrupt politicians, the same old story.
I always get a kick out of the look on most peoples' faces when I tell them I'm from Gary, IN. It's a combination of pity and disbelief, LOL.

Ford Maverick Poll - Illinois members who have their Mavericks IMG952825
Sponsored