Sponsored

Poll: How many of you are purchasing your first hybrid with this truck?

Is this your first hybrid purchase?

• Total voters

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Better performance (torque, acceleration, AWD response) from a simpler powertrain that requires less maintenance and overall last longer. Bonus points for being quieter and no tailpipe emissions. Towing is probably the biggest drawback though, but for me that's less important in a small truck like the Maverick.
And what happens when the power goes out and you can’t charge the vehicle?

I don’t disagree that having the bulk of the work done by the electric side has many benefits, but if I had one vehicle I wouldn’t want it dependant on other factors like the grid, weather, supplier incompetence, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Niro, soon to be Maverick Lariat Hybrid

I don’t disagree that having the bulk of the work done by the electric side has many benefits, but if I had one vehicle I wouldn’t want it dependant on other factors like the grid, weather, supplier incompetence, etc.
And what happens when the pumps stop working at the gas stations?
Even for my parents out in the boondocks, power outages rarely last long enough to be an issue in any way. Electric has some drawbacks (charging time on road trips, mostly), but worrying about the grid isn't really one of them.
If you have a gas vehicle, you are dependent on gas supply. Hell, with some solar panels on your roof, an electric rig is less dependent on externalities than others.
That said, I do not want the Maverick all-electric. I want a similar vehicle designed electric from the start. I do want a PHEV Maverick, because I am going to miss my zero gas commute.

Hoguette

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Toyota Camry
Had a C-max until it got totaled a couple years ago. I miss the pep and gas mileage. Was a great car! Looking forward to the Hybrid Maverick. It'll be worth the wait.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had a C-max until it got totaled a couple years ago. I miss the pep and gas mileage. Was a great car! Looking forward to the Hybrid Maverick. It'll be worth the wait.
I hope so.....im committed

maverick92

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, F150 Lightning
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I’ve had an EV as a DD for 7 years and the grid going down has never been a problem for me, but I’ve never lived south of Georgia. I’d much rather have vehicle to grid as an option when losing power for a few days.

Sponsored

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
And what happens when the pumps stop working at the gas stations?
Even for my parents out in the boondocks, power outages rarely last long enough to be an issue in any way. Electric has some drawbacks (charging time on road trips, mostly), but worrying about the grid isn't really one of them.
If you have a gas vehicle, you are dependent on gas supply. Hell, with some solar panels on your roof, an electric rig is less dependent on externalities than others.
That said, I do not want the Maverick all-electric. I want a similar vehicle designed electric from the start. I do want a PHEV Maverick, because I am going to miss my zero gas commute.
1) Isn’t the range on a hybrid more than an all EV?
2) Gas is easier to store, and quicker to refill.
3) Plenty of gas stations, infrastructure isn’t there for EV yet.
4) Grid? Yeah....the grid will get more stressed the more EVs there are.
5) You can scavange gas out of other cars....that ability isn’t mainstream with EV’s.

Solar panels....? Usually a storm will be blocking out that sun, and many people don’t have the money for an electric storing solution

How long was the power out in Texas, for instance.

Also, gas is easier to store.....and when have all the pumps just “stopped working”....maybe in a power outage, but that would affect your all EV too.

When the zombie apocalypse hits...and you are taking back roads to the mountains....where do you recharge? Most likely gas will be more available.

IMO a hybrid is better....I appreciate your answers...thanks.

Last edited:

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5) You can scavange gas out of other cars....that ability isn’t mainstream with EV’s.

Solar panels....? Usually a storm will be blocking out that sun, and many people don’t have the money for an electric storing solution

Also, gas is easier to store.....and when have all the pumps just “stopped working”....maybe in a power outage, but that would affect your all EV too.

When the zombie apocalypse hits...and you are taking back roads to the mountains....where do you recharge? Most likely gas will be more available.

PHEVs can run on just gasoline.

jeffdeq

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion Platinum Energi, 2020 F150 King Ranch
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe an all EV has a range of 250 miles, give or take.
A Plugin HEV is around 50 miles range.
An HEV is around 25 miles.

I would prefer a plugin hybrid Maverick, but I will settle for just a hybrid.

zBernie

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is my first hybrid. Just curious.
This will be my first hybrid and first pickup truck. I currently average about 20 mpg with my 2013 Hyundai Sonata. Really looking forward to having the utility of a truck with 40 mpg city!

Sponsored

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

1. Depends on the EV and the hybrid. The Lucid Air has cracked the 500 mile range mark. That said, I don't generally drive long enough nonstop to hit the maximum range on my current PHEV, nor would I expect to in an EV.
2. Quicker to refill, sure. But batteries are not that difficult and can remain charged for a long time. Unleaded gas, especially the ethanol gas most commonly used these days, goes bad. And for most people, you spend less time charging than you would gassing, since you just plug in at home and/or work and walk away. No stopping at a gas station.
3. For 95% of most people's driving, EV will be charged at home and never need to hit a charger. And charging infrastructure is increasing. You may not notice as it isn't a bunch of EV gas stations, but chargers at businesses, especially restaurants, hotels, and parking garages.
4. The grid certainly needs improvement, especially in certain areas. If power companies are not investing in that, they are the problem, not EV drivers.
5. If I am in a situation where I need to scavenge gas, we have far bigger problems than what car I own.
In massive storms, there have certainly been gas pumps knocked offline and gas stations that ran out. Smaller issues are also unlikely to knock the power out for so long that you run out of juice in your electric vehicle. If I am hunkered down for a storm, I am not out driving.
And a zombie apocalypse is certainly going to knock out refining, too, so I think you may have to consider whether you'll rebuild electric power generation or refining capability. But I'm probably grabbing whatever keys I can and swapping vehicles as I go, so I'll worry about my ride of choice after it's settled down.
I'm not going to tell you that you need to switch to EV, but writing them off as inferior misses the advantages they offer.

LGoody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I own a 2012 Lexus CT200h, basically a Prius. I get about 40 mpg. Kids are getting bigger, I wanted another hybrid and I always wanted a truck so this is a perfect fit. Can’t wait to get mines!!! :)

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
First car: 2013 Focus SE, 5-speed manual. Lifetime average was 31MPG

Current car: 2018 Hyundai Sonata SEL, current average is between 25-27 depending on my driving habits.

With an EPA average of 25 in the AWD Ecoboost, I'm not concerned that I'll regret the AWD and extra power, considering my current car is basically netting the same MPGs with 70 fewer horsepower and a much sleeker aero profile. However, moving to a ~40MPG vehicle - in a truck, of all things - is really enticing. I'm not sure what to do. I'll probably get the ecoboost, but if not, yes, the Mav will be my first hybrid.

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I'm not going to tell you that you need to switch to EV, but writing them off as inferior misses the advantages they offer.
I never said they were inferior. I said IMO hybrids were the best of both worlds. Remember....this discussion started because someone said, “First hybrid for me, but I really wish it was a plug-in hybrid with a larger battery. I can't wait for the eventual Maverick EV!”
I simply asked “why?” Maybe I should have said, “why EV?”

Plug-in hybrids verus non-plugins....not the question. It is hybrid vs all EV...never mentioned PHEV’s...which are hybrids...and seem great.
I don’t think the reliance on only electric gives any redundancy.

If the power is out, and the pumps won’t work I can take gas from my backup generator (why do they sell these if electric never goes out?), a gas can, or my lawn mower....heck, my neighbor’s lawn mower.

If the power is out, and the EV didn’t charge...now what?
If you own more than one vehicle, I agree....have a bunch of EV’s, but having one hybrid will cover contingencies. I was thinking of this from having a single vehicle.

Last edited:

Drewesque

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never said they were inferior. I said IMO hybrids were the best of both worlds. Remember....this discussion started because someone said, “First hybrid for me, but I really wish it was a plug-in hybrid with a larger battery. I can't wait for the eventual Maverick EV!”
I simply asked “why?” Maybe I should have said, “why EV?”

Plug-in hybrids verus non-plugins....not the question. It is hybrid vs all EV...never mentioned PHEV’s...which are hybrids...and seem great.
I don’t think the reliance on only electric gives any redundancy.

If the power is out, and the pumps won’t work I can take gas from my backup generator (why do they sell these if electric never goes out?), a gas can, or my lawn mower....heck, my neighbor’s lawn mower.

If the power is out, and the EV didn’t charge...now what?
If you own more than one vehicle, I agree....have a bunch of EV’s, but having one hybrid will cover contingencies. I was thinking of this from having a single vehicle.
Nobody said the power never goes out. But the power outage is unlikely to have the significant effect you imply. If you don't charge one night, it is unlikely to leave you stranded at home any more than a gas vehicle is likely to leave you stranded because you had planned to fill up and didn't.
And, yeah, PHEVs have the benefit of redundancy, and they allow one to often have an all-electric commute. But you still have the internal combustion maintenance and such. I currently run PHEV, but it has made me realize how little I actually need combustion. I end up running gas when I don't need to just to be sure I don't gunk things up leaving the gas in there too long.
I don't want to be reliant on gas. I do take a couple long trips a year and they would be slightly longer with an electric, but they stay mostly in areas powered by hydro, which means affordable and clean energy.
Most people will be fine with one EV and no other vehicle. It doesn't cover all cases (unreliable grid, no charging access at home, etc.), but it will hardly leave most people stranded.
Sponsored