Sponsored

Please contact JCR Offroad to let them know you're interested in Maverick skid plates and cat converter theft prevention

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
JCR Offroad makes some really cool parts for the Bronco Sport to include skid plates that replace the engine panel and fuel tank panels and they have long panels to replace the felt pans in development. They also make a plate that covers the cat converter on the Bronco Sport that I think a lot of Maverick owners would be interested in for catalytic converter theft prevention. I contacted them to see if they had plans to make products for the Maverick and they said they had no plans. The more people who contact them to show interest in development of Maverick specific products the better chance we would have. I would definitely spend a few hundred dollars to protect that catalytic converter on my truck just to save headaches.

This is a link to where you can contact them. They're located in Portage, MI if anyone is close by.

Here are a few of the products they make for the Bronco Sport:

?hash=cffbfc03e3cf4e9a62b5e6bf0a346c7f.jpg

BSSD-CAT_4_1024x682.jpg

Fuel tank skid plates.jpg

Roof rack.jpg

Engine skid.jpg
Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the idea of better skid plates. Not sure about the catalytic converter security. A couple of screws won't slow a dedicated thief down much.

OP
OP
NoVaJimmy

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A couple of screws won't slow a dedicated thief down much.
I have a really difficult time believing this, watch any CCTV video of a catalytic converter thief and speed/time is the name of their game......also, for a few bucks at grainger or fastenal you can easily replace the hardware with security torx if you're really that concerned......hundreds of cars on any given street, one look at any cover plate and they'll just move on to another.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a really difficult time believing this, watch any CCTV video of a catalytic converter thief and speed/time is the name of their game......also, for a few bucks at grainger or fastenal you can easily replace the hardware with security torx if you're really that concerned......hundreds of cars on any given street, one look at any cover plate and they'll just move on to another.
I get the concept of token resistance. I would just like to see a few more fasteners.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is the Mav Eco Cat not up high and difficult to get to like the Hybrid?

Sponsored

OP
OP
NoVaJimmy

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the Mav Eco Cat not up high and difficult to get to like the Hybrid?
The ecoboost also has two cats, primary is up high and inaccessible and the secondary is right out in the open and easy to cut off. It also costs over $1300 to replace.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
JCR and Rival both seem to make decent products for the Sport. I especially like JCRs take on the front skid with one access door for the drain and filter for the 1.6L models, When asked if it would work for the Badlands they responded IDK as they don't have a test mule.
The front skid on my Raptor has one access door and it works well.
Whenever there is a thread concerning these products I ask about the Maverick just to keep it their mind.
At the risk of being a broken record, demand often precedes supply.

MRickDetroit

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They make great stuff, installed their rock rails on my Jeep Cherokee and their rear bumper on a wrangler.

IF I ever get my maverick I wouldn't mind some added security for the cat.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I go only 2 places with my truck. To work, and home. It stays locked in my garage. At work its inside the security fence at the airport. No need for a converter cage. I like the skid plate idea though. It looks like it's got an access panel for changing the oil. Kinda curious if the hole at the back is an access hole for the drain plug, or does it need a drain plug access hole cut into it.

OP
OP
NoVaJimmy

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I go only 2 places with my truck. To work, and home. It stays locked in my garage. At work its inside the security fence at the airport. No need for a converter cage. I like the skid plate idea though. It looks like it's got an access panel for changing the oil. Kinda curious if the hole at the back is an access hole for the drain plug, or does it need a drain plug access hole cut into it.
You're looking at a skid plate designed for non Badlands models so they have the 1.5L 3 cylinder. I'm sure they would design an appropriate skid plate for the 2.0L ecoboost which has different placements.

Also, you're in the vast minority when it comes to cat theft. I've watched enough security cam footage of catalytic converter theft and it happens anywhere, even in broad daylight in crowded areas. Unless you drive nowhere else aside from home and work you're also susceptible. 30 seconds is all it takes, this guy had his stolen while he was out for dinner with his family.

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaJimmy

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I switched out the screws on my f350 taillights to a security screw. Also, a good option is to fill the security screw head with silicone. As you correctly pointed out, stealing is a derivative of time and opportunity. And variable that impacts either Time or Opportunity makes the theft less desirable.

I can never understand why women leave their purses on the pass seat to run into the store. Time (ten seconds to smash window and grab purse). Opportunity (right there and easy to grab with a purse that has credit cards and probably cash).

You don't have to make it hard, you just have to make it harder than normal.
We should probably be more inclusive and include any men here who also leave their purse on the passenger seat while they run into the store.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Cats are stolen frequently where i live. It takes 30-45 seconds to cut one out. When my neighbor's got stolen in the middle of the day, 54 seconds is all it took from stopping the car to driving away.

Screws and bolts won't stop a determined thief, but few are. Opportunity and ease are what they are looking for. Any and all security you get is merely just increasing the "cost" of the theft. Your only protection is that the reward is less than the cost.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for posting. The theft of CC's is a real pain-in-the-butt problem. I have CC protection on my motorhome since the higher clearance makes it easier to access the undercarriage. I wrapped the CC in stainless steel cables using a product I got from CatClamp people. Installed myself in about an hour. They make a universal fitting version that might fit the Maverick. Nonetheless, I would look into their product line for any other cars you have.
Here's their link: https://catclamp.com/

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sure you realize these thieves do not bother trying to unscrew anything. They use portable grinders to cut the CC out from the exhaust pipe.

OP
OP
NoVaJimmy

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure you realize these thieves do not bother trying to unscrew anything. They use portable grinders to cut the CC out from the exhaust pipe.
Not sure what you're talking about specifically but I'm advocating for the use of the catalytic converter shields and said nothing about thieves unscrewing anything. Maybe you misread? Baracuda dude said he doesn't need one since he only parks at home and work and I was merely pointing out that thieves are stealing these in 30-60 seconds by cutting off with a sawzall, not a portable grinder so unless he only parks his Maverick at home or work and never a grocery store, or restaurant or anywhere for 10 minutes or so his train of thought is a little misguided.
Sponsored