First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a fairly large CD collection and a Dell slim portable CD / DVD-RW drive with the USB connection that I use to play CDs on my laptop, which did not come with an internal CD drive. I thought maybe I could just plug it in the USB port in the console and it would play. Nothing happened when I did that, so I read in the manual to click on the 'Audio' button on the lower left of the screen and select USB as the source. There no information referencing any external audio sources. I even clicked on the SOURCE button (what I thought was the logical place to find additional sources) but there is only AM, FM, SiriusXM & Bluetooth.
Sponsored

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a large CD collection too but I put it on a USB drive. If the laptop is fairly modern, you can use iTunes or Windows Media Player to import and convert the tracks from your CDs into MP3’s, which will create folders automatically for them. Then simply copy the folders onto a USB drive and your done. You can adjust the quality too with output files in both of those programs so you don’t have low quality MP3s, matching the original CD sound quality too.

It’s a good rainy day project and really not hard at all to do, even with Windows Media Player or ITunes. This is old tech even doing what I described so it’s definitely not too difficult for a beginner or average computer user.

CDs are cool as I still have a factory CD player in my Mustang I use occasionally but it’s still a hassle. Occasionally it skips or makes weird noises while playing a CD, the CDs scratch easily and I end up often keeping the same few CDs in that car and taking months to change them out because I just don’t feel like carrying a large CD wallet in my car since it’s often parked outside unlike the Maverick. A USB stick is a game changer besides obvious capabilities a phone has today.

Pucman1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, Triumph TR3, Hybrid Maverick 1-18-23
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I just recyled an old IPOD player and loaded up about 900 tunes on it, It is plugged in on the old USB A plug. I access it through the Ford App and pick the source through it. I also plug in the phone through the USB C hookup and that gives me Apple car play, Using Waze and Pandora, tied all the cables in a neat bundle. I also have one lighter dual port USB A and USB C I can plug in to give me additional charging that is not ran through the infotainment system. Now just to get a cubby with a phone mount!

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a fairly large CD collection and a Dell slim portable CD / DVD-RW drive with the USB connection that I use to play CDs on my laptop, which did not come with an internal CD drive. I thought maybe I could just plug it in the USB port in the console and it would play. Nothing happened when I did that, so I read in the manual to click on the 'Audio' button on the lower left of the screen and select USB as the source. There no information referencing any external audio sources. I even clicked on the SOURCE button (what I thought was the logical place to find additional sources) but there is only AM, FM, SiriusXM & Bluetooth.
The vehicle's USB port may not have enough power output to run an external CD player, just a guess. Enough to charge a phone or tablet, but maybe not run a computer peripheral.

Sponsored

Drkuhar

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 cutlass, 2011 silverado,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Its the external computer cd burner/player doesnt have any software built in. It uses a computers software to read the disc. Thats why the android cd players work. They have software to read the cd and out put music(mp3/flac etc) which the system recognized. Music saved to flash drives is mp3 format which is music. Cds are not naturaly mp3 format they need software to decode the digital format.

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a USB powered CD player in mine, it works great, just look on the internet for 'CD players for new vehicles', you don't have to spend a lot either, mine was less than $100, they are often listed as version 1 & version 2, the version 1 works in the Maverick.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
your CD may have to contain MP3 files. It makes far more sense to rip all your CDs to MP3, using your laptop, and then copy all of those to a small, $12 USB thumb drive. Then you will never have to change a CD. And you wont have a cable and drive to babysit.

You can fit thousands of CDs on a single drive and have them all at your fingertips. That is what I do. I have a 64 GB Drive in my USB port which is the size of a thumbnail.

2,800 songs on this and I still have a lot of CDs to rip yet. So far only 14GB used, so I have room for maybe 10,000 more songs :)

I plug my phone cable into the USB-C port, so this thumbdrive never gets removed. I may do a thread and/or video on this USB drive topic and discuss organization, making playlist files etc if there is any interest.

Ford Maverick Playing CDs via the USB port. FE4D87EC-56F0-4559-BD17-455380EEC3E7

Last edited:

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I bought a USB CD playare from Walmart and it has been working great. I absolutely prefer the quality of CD's, that's why I got it. It was around $89. Go for it! I installed in on to of the dash, with velcro for the bouncing, and it works great.

skyhawk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Airplanes motorcycles cars SUVs
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL - no one is going to be able to tell the difference - using a factory Maverick audio system - between 44.1khz sample and 1400k bitrate CD, versus a quality rip of that CD at 44.1k sample and 192k or 256k bitrate. Not... gonna... happen

But I get it - for some folks a truck won't feel like home without a little velcro on the dash and a ginormous 1990's CD organizer bouncing around the cab

Sponsored

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's pretty easy to copy tunes from Itunes as a cut and paste to an SD/f;ash drive. I get 8 GB tiny flash drives off AliExpress for $2.50.. Have easily 900 songs on flash drives. But have found out the Browing and building of an index does not work consistently if you have more than 80, 90, 100 songs on a flash drive, so I keep 4 or 5 flash drive handy.

mav_kev

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For your time and money, it's probably cheaper, even in the long run, to just get a subscription to a music service of your choice. They already have all your CDs digitized, plus everyone else's too. Then boom, stream that stuff via Bluetooth. Going out of cell range? Wifi download a few albums for offline use. We really do live in the best time.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
5000 songs on my iPhone. Connects to bluetooth whenever I'm in the truck. Nothing to plug in. Couldn't be easier.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
LOL - no one is going to be able to tell the difference - using a factory Maverick audio system - between 44.1khz sample and 1400k bitrate CD, versus a quality rip of that CD at 44.1k sample and 192k or 256k bitrate. Not... gonna... happen

But I get it - for some folks a truck won't feel like home without a little velcro on the dash and a ginormous 1990's CD organizer bouncing around the cab
No room for CDs, 8 tracks take most of the space.

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For all who use USB drives, I do too- but after a while they can get corrupted. Make sure to keep a copy of all the music on a computer somewhere!
Sponsored