Sponsored

Bikeric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD XLT Hybrid Mav
Just spit-balling here so don't drag me over too many coals..... I'm thinking the payload capacity must be linked to the brake rotors, calipers and pads. I think the trucks braking system must be the limiting factor here. The more weight you add to the vehicle, the longer your stopping distance from a certain speed. The GVWR must be based at a maximum value meaning the payload is just the GVWR minus the actual weight of the truck as it exits the assembly line. I've also seen higher tow ratings if using a trailer brake than without.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Payload and towing capacity are NOT mutually exclusive.
I know that already. I'm giving an extreme example. The example could also be flipped to a 2000# trailer with just the driver + gas and nothing else.

What is your point? Because my point was to give an example of how the GCWR doesn't mean max tow + max payload, which is what we're here replying about.

Rather than just say that I am wrong (and that you are right), simply share #s in the form you believe are correct. Otherwise -- unfortunately -- your reply isn't helpful.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just spit-balling here so don't drag me over too many coals..... I'm thinking the payload capacity must be linked to the brake rotors, calipers and pads. I think the trucks braking system must be the limiting factor here. The more weight you add to the vehicle, the longer your stopping distance from a certain speed. The GVWR must be based at a maximum value meaning the payload is just the GVWR minus the actual weight of the truck as it exits the assembly line. I've also seen higher tow ratings if using a trailer brake than without.
I think you also have to factor in your suspension system too. You can certainly overload your truck crushing the suspension down probably cause permanent damage then like you said you now have to factor in your braking distance has exceed factory limits because of the weight load, which will cause the brake pads to wear much quicker and possibly your rotors too. I speak of this because I did it on my '08 F150 when I took on a few loads of stone for a yard project. The load was probably over my trucks weight limit by few hundred lbs. The truck sat really low and afterwards never seemed to sit as high after I emptied it. But I'm not expert and I can only related my experience in overloading a truck.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I know that already. I'm giving an extreme example. The example could also be flipped to a 2000# trailer with just the driver + gas and nothing else.

What is your point? Because my point was to give an example of how the GCWR doesn't mean max tow + max payload, which is what we're here replying about.

Rather than just say that I am wrong (and that you are right), simply share #s in the form you believe are correct. Otherwise -- unfortunately -- your reply isn't helpful.
..but someone else might not know that.. But I am now aware of your sensitivity, no one was calling you out or trying to be king of the hill so no need to get your butt in a knot.

Sponsored

ttthhasdf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
what all these little articles about "mav vs sc" are missing is that the sc can only have 661 pounds in the bed!

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I too was wondering what is making the weight difference 🤔
Could be the acoustic windshield on the Lariat is not as heavy as the laminated windshield on the XLT? Just a guess, but thats the only physical difference I could think of if they are otherwise similarly configured.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is why you'll see that toy-hauler RV trailers have their axles way far back compared to regular RV trailers. If you load a 1-ton side-by-side in the back of a toy hauler, you need the axles that far back to balance the load and get the tongue weight where it should be.
Yea, I started noticing that. These toy haulers do the opposite of how we're told to safely load up: they load up & park behind the axle. If it's just pedal bikes being loaded, OK the weight is small. But ATVs ain't light and that's what's going into them. Now, RV makers are advertising whole cars going back there! It's crazy: let's tow this RV toy hauler that itself has another vehicle inside?! Night Rider moment! LOL! I'll be staying clear of toy haulers running fast & furious down Interstates.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Yea, I started noticing that. These toy haulers do the opposite of how we're told to safely load up: they load up & park behind the axle. If it's just pedal bikes being loaded, OK the weight is small. But ATVs ain't light and that's what's going into them. Now, RV makers are advertising whole cars going back there! It's crazy: let's tow this RV toy hauler that itself has another vehicle inside?! Night Rider moment! LOL! I'll be staying clear of toy haulers running fast & furious down Interstates.
The good thing is they can’t go anywhere Xeno says they can only move an 1/8 of a mile at a time. (Because Dim, 1/4 mile, Xeno’s, etc Not going to correct the autocorrect of Dom yeah well it’s early still)
Sponsored