Sponsored
OP
OP

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
No, payload is the total amount of weight the vehicle can carry. Passengers, cargo, everything.

No, payload limits do not change if you're towing. But keep in mind that a trailer's tongue weight is subtracted from the tow vehicle's payload capacity

Absolutely. Say the bike plus trailer is 1000lbs. Typically you want 10-15% tongue weight, so we'll just draw it at 12% or 120lbs. If you had the hybrid pictured above, that'd leave you with (1519-120) 1399lbs of payload left for yourself, your luggage, your gear in the bed, etc.

Payload is usually the lowest-common denominator when towing, and the reason why people have to step up to a larger tow vehicle. They simply run out of payload capacity before anything else such as GVWR, GCVWR, RAWR, etc.

When I see F-150s towing a 30' RV trailer and they have everything plus the kitchen sink in the bed and they have a cab full of passengers...I try to pass them as expeditiously as possible.

Typical F-150s crew cab 4x4s have a payload of 1,500lbs (convenient, huh?). Five 150lb people is 750lbs. If your 30' camper grosses at 7000lbs, that's 700lbs of tongue weight. Leaves you 50lbs for stuff in the bed.
^This. It's easy to both under-think and over-think payload/towing/etc. The info we need is out there, just not always easy to find in a single place. A good non-Ford primer on this is What is Payload: A Complete Guide | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) .
1. When the Maverick leaves the factory (with a certain powertrain and trim level configuration, with options listed as per the window sticker), that yellow payload sticker reflects it's actual payload capacity with a full tank of gas. Remember the basics - GVWR minus Base Curb Weight (and base curb weight includes a tank of gas) = actual Payload Capacity (that yellow sticker). If you don't believe that, check out Ford's 2021 RV and Towing Guide.
Ford Maverick Payload for Maverick Lariat Hybrid = 1,519 LBS (per doorjamb sticker). Beats factory quoted 1,500 LBS & Santa Cruz 21rvguide.JPG

2. Actual payload capacity (yellow sticker) does not already include a 150 lb (or whatever weight) driver. What does the sticker say - "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs". A driver is an occupant.
3. Think of if you did a free-body diagram of "post-factory loads" applied to the Maverick. Your starting point would be as it was when it left the factory. That spray-in liner you got as part of the XLT Lux package, and the floormats, and whatever else you see on the window sticker? Those weights are already "baked into" the yellow sticker number. Now you put an aftermarket roof rack and tonneau and (whatever) on the truck. You have to subtract their weight from the yellow sticker number. Now you people in the truck - got to subtract their weight from yellow sticker. "Stuff" in the bed, trailer tongue weight applied to that hitch ball - subtract from yellow sticker. You keep doing this until all loads are accounted for.
4. There is "pulling", and there is "towing". Imagine if you wanted to "pull" a really loaded (8000 lb) haywagon and you had a pintle-style hitch on your Hybrid Maverick. You could certainly do that (an external rolling start probably needed...) even though the Hybrid is only rated for 2000 lbs max. loaded trailer weight. Remember the Tundra commercial from a few years ago when it "pulled" (not towed) the space shuttle? Same thing. "Towing" is different.
5. 1400-1500 lbs of actual payload capacity is pretty dang good for the Maverick. Like notfast said, I know of many late model upper trim level F150's that have yellow sticker payloads less than 1400 lbs. When doing your sums for "can I tow this?", 9 times out of ten it's payload that gets you.
Sponsored

Mavforever

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’d really like to see a window sticker for the Hybrid…anyone??

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guess that's for a truck without the full size spare...

Wire4money

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Wrangler
Engine
Undecided
I’m impressed. My 2019 Tacoma crew long bed TRD off road had a payload of 750 lbs.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good article. It shows Hyundai probably has no business making a truck if they can’t figure out the GVWR of their truck as it is arriving at dealerships.

Sponsored

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
that yellow payload sticker reflects it's actual payload capacity with a full tank of gas.
Thanks probity! I didn't know a full tank of gas is included in calculations. Looks like I am going to win a few beers from the boys tonight in a little trivia question and bring up some more ribbing on their pavement princesses low payload sticker They just can't understand how their king ranch/platinum/FX 4 F250 turbo diesel or F150s pavement princesses cant haul what my 1994 GMC 1500 WT can. I say because I don't need warm hands from the heated steering wheel or a cold butt from the air conditioned seats etc. They have fallen prey to the great wussification movement of the US consumer

Last edited:

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
What's a tongue weight? Is that the connection between the truck and the trailer (hitch & shit)?
Tongue weight is the amount of the trailer's total weight that is put on the coupler.

If you imagine standing in front of an empty trailer and lifting the coupler, the amount of weight you're lifting is the trailer's tongue weight.

Trailers, even those with 2, 3, or 4 axles, are like see-saws. You want to balance the load on the trailer to avoid having handling issues (up to and including trailer sway, which is NOT fun).

You can read more into it, but a general rule of thumb is to have 60% of the trailer's loaded weight forward of the center point of the axles and 40% aft of the axles.

This is why you'll see that toy-hauler RV trailers have their axles way far back compared to regular RV trailers. If you load a 1-ton side-by-side in the back of a toy hauler, you need the axles that far back to balance the load and get the tongue weight where it should be.

The tradeoff is that toy-haulers have an insane amount of tongue weight if they are empty, which is why you generally need at least a 3/4 ton truck to have the payload capacity to support the tongue weight. Remember that tongue weight should be about 10-15% of the trailer's loaded weight. More weight than 15% is fine (toy haulers can be upwards of 20% or more when empty or nearly empty), but less than 10% is asking for trailer sway.

It's not an exact science. I rarely use a tongue scale or anything to actually measure the weight or balance of a trailer. If you ballpark it and drive reasonably then you'll be fine. Just don't do something grossly negligent like load the bike centered over or behind the axle in order to reduce the sag on the truck/tow vehicle.

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Tongue weight is the amount of the trailer's total weight that is put on the coupler.

If you imagine standing in front of an empty trailer and lifting the coupler, the amount of weight you're lifting is the trailer's tongue weight.

Trailers, even those with 2, 3, or 4 axles, are like see-saws. You want to balance the load on the trailer to avoid having handling issues (up to and including trailer sway, which is NOT fun).

You can read more into it, but a general rule of thumb is to have 60% of the trailer's loaded weight forward of the center point of the axles and 40% aft of the axles.

This is why you'll see that toy-hauler RV trailers have their axles way far back compared to regular RV trailers. If you load a 1-ton side-by-side in the back of a toy hauler, you need the axles that far back to balance the load and get the tongue weight where it should be.

The tradeoff is that toy-haulers have an insane amount of tongue weight if they are empty, which is why you generally need at least a 3/4 ton truck to have the payload capacity to support the tongue weight. Remember that tongue weight should be about 10-15% of the trailer's loaded weight. More weight than 15% is fine (toy haulers can be upwards of 20% or more when empty or nearly empty), but less than 10% is asking for trailer sway.

It's not an exact science. I rarely use a tongue scale or anything to actually measure the weight or balance of a trailer. If you ballpark it and drive reasonably then you'll be fine. Just don't do something grossly negligent like load the bike centered over or behind the axle in order to reduce the sag on the truck/tow vehicle.
That's a really good explanation, thanks!

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
^This. It's easy to both under-think and over-think payload/towing/etc. The info we need is out there, just not always easy to find in a single place. A good non-Ford primer on this is What is Payload: A Complete Guide | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) .
1. When the Maverick leaves the factory (with a certain powertrain and trim level configuration, with options listed as per the window sticker), that yellow payload sticker reflects it's actual payload capacity with a full tank of gas. Remember the basics - GVWR minus Base Curb Weight (and base curb weight includes a tank of gas) = actual Payload Capacity (that yellow sticker). If you don't believe that, check out Ford's 2021 RV and Towing Guide.
21rvguide.JPG

2. Actual payload capacity (yellow sticker) does not already include a 150 lb (or whatever weight) driver. What does the sticker say - "the combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed xxxx lbs". A driver is an occupant.
3. Think of if you did a free-body diagram of "post-factory loads" applied to the Maverick. Your starting point would be as it was when it left the factory. That spray-in liner you got as part of the XLT Lux package, and the floormats, and whatever else you see on the window sticker? Those weights are already "baked into" the yellow sticker number. Now you put an aftermarket roof rack and tonneau and (whatever) on the truck. You have to subtract their weight from the yellow sticker number. Now you people in the truck - got to subtract their weight from yellow sticker. "Stuff" in the bed, trailer tongue weight applied to that hitch ball - subtract from yellow sticker. You keep doing this until all loads are accounted for.
4. There is "pulling", and there is "towing". Imagine if you wanted to "pull" a really loaded (8000 lb) haywagon and you had a pintle-style hitch on your Hybrid Maverick. You could certainly do that (an external rolling start probably needed...) even though the Hybrid is only rated for 2000 lbs max. loaded trailer weight. Remember the Tundra commercial from a few years ago when it "pulled" (not towed) the space shuttle? Same thing. "Towing" is different.
5. 1400-1500 lbs of actual payload capacity is pretty dang good for the Maverick. Like notfast said, I know of many late model upper trim level F150's that have yellow sticker payloads less than 1400 lbs. When doing your sums for "can I tow this?", 9 times out of ten it's payload that gets you.
Yeah....I took this as not great....I mean, I guess they did say 1500 payload, and I guess technically it is 1500 total payload...but I am a little disappointed because I was expecting 1500 in the bed and with my fat bottom, it's going to be more like 1250.

Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
That tundra can probably tow 10k pounds though right?
So 1000 lbs on the trailer hitch, 2 adults in the cab.
Just throw as much as you can into the trailer to get the most out of the payload capacity.
In the maverick the most trailer weight you can have is 400lbs. So make that 10% of your trailer weight.
That leaves you with 1100 pounds to put people and luggage and such into the bed. Seems pretty good to me.

Just did a bit more math.
A 12.5% tongue load of 400lbs gives you a towing capacity of 3200lbs.
At 15% tongue load you are down to 2666lb towing capacity.
I'm using 400lbs because I think I saw that number on the towing sheet ford published.

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
We all know Hyundai can only hold 661lbs in the bed. But for a while Hyundai and others were claiming “total payload over 1700lbs!”
well door stickers are the end all be all.

https://jalopnik.com/what-is-the-real-payload-of-the-2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-1847519398

According to the Hyundai owners manual and the door sticker. Hyundai max payload is 1411 lbs.
ford maverick is 1519lbs.

and mysteriously you cannot find any official payload number anywhere on the Hyundai‘s website, unless you download the owners manual.
unlike at lunch they were posting that 1700 pounds estimated capacity

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford Maverick Payload for Maverick Lariat Hybrid = 1,519 LBS (per doorjamb sticker). Beats factory quoted 1,500 LBS & Santa Cruz Area 51 2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux Package MPG 18
Apparently the LXT luxury package is heavier than the Lariat in this post

Luchie64

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT, 2019 Escape, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Area 51 2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux Package MPG 18.jpg
Apparently the LXT luxury package is heavier than the Lariat in this post
I too was wondering what is making the weight difference 🤔

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I too was wondering what is making the weight difference 🤔
My guess is that the LXT luxury package includes more/heavier items than the Lariat (no packages?) that we are comparing.
I haven't examined the pictures closely but...
Drop in bed liner
Wheel/tire weight difference
Crossbars
Bed cover
?
Sponsored