hsinking1932

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hyundai didn't give the GCWR or GAWR of its SC. I hope there is not some similar mess about its towing capacity.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mav Hybrid XLT, '17 Chevy Colo Z71 diesel
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Excellent news!

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good to see some numbers coming out. It is almost noon here so my math skills may be average by now. Towing trailer weight has to be less than 810 if payload is maxed out in this set up.

Numbers come from tech sheets.

GCWR for Hybrid 6000 total pounds (Ford Maverick Tech Specs)
Base Curb weight 3674 (A Lariat is going to come in heavier due to all the options)
Max payload 1516

6000-3674*-1516=810 pounds.

The Lariat will be less due to extra weight of all the add ons over base model. If these numbers hold true for the 2.0L eco boost it looks like the Maverick will have an issue being a family trip car and towing at the same time.

2.0 AWD with 4k 8345 GCWR-1516-3731 Base model curb weight= 3,098 pounds left over. (If you order a base XL)

Sponsored

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure, if someone puts 1516# on the truck. Will you be packing that much?

I'm not close to packing that much. 2 European sized people (aka. 150#/person), 2 pups (150#), 2 bikes (50#), beer cooler (50#), 2 backpacks (100#) + trailer tongue (200#) = 850# payload

That leaves 1486# for trailer.

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure, if someone puts 1516# on the truck. Will you be packing that much?

I'm not close to packing that much. 2 European sized people (aka. 150#/person), 2 pups (150#), 2 bikes (50#), beer cooler (50#), 2 backpacks (100#) + trailer tongue (200#) = 850# payload

That leaves 1486# for trailer.
No. Im just starting to do the math now that some real numbers are out and trying to show others that are new to towing how the equation works. There has been a lot of questions and people pushing the tow limit number if they had no payload in the truck.

If you add a tank of gas around 100 pounds the trailer can be 1386 above. #150/person is very polite for society. Not near the 2,000 pounds Ford marketing shows. I wish the advertising was a little more real world but truth in advertising is an oxymoron.

I am between the 22 Nissan Frontier and 22 Maverick for our next adventure/play/work truck and want the Maverick numbers to work but the more that comes out the less it looks like it will happen. The final numbers are to close for my comfort to work especially living in the mountains.

Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good to see some numbers coming out. It is almost noon here so my math skills may be average by now. Towing trailer weight has to be less than 810 if payload is maxed out in this set up.

Numbers come from tech sheets.

GCWR for Hybrid 6000 total pounds (Ford Maverick Tech Specs)
Base Curb weight 3674 (A Lariat is going to come in heavier due to all the options)
Max payload 1516

The Lariat will be less due to extra weight of all the add ons over base model. If these numbers hold true for the 2.0L eco boost it looks like the Maverick will have an issue being a family trip car and towing at the same time.

2.0 AWD with 4k 8345 GCWR-1516-3731 Base model curb weight= 3,098 pounds left over. (If you order a base XL)
Hello Medgar! I like your math here, though it is a bit disconcerting... I had hoped to be able to tow a 1 axle Lance trailer (akin to the marketing pics)... it looks as though Ford may be misrepresenting that true capability? Well, that is, if the Trailer is hauled nearly EMPTY... or did I misunderstand something in this discussion?

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hello Medgar! I like your math here, though it is a bit disconcerting... I had hoped to be able to tow a 1 axle Lance trailer (akin to the marketing pics)... it looks as though Ford may be misrepresenting that true capability? Well, that is, if the Trailer is hauled nearly EMPTY... or did I misunderstand something in this discussion?
No you are understanding the dilemna. The Maverick was always going to have a little give in take in the truck world. The answer was how much give and take it would have for each individual/family decision.

Ford isn't misrepresenting true capability because like all Auto companies they say up to xxxx amount of pounds towing. Most people miss it in the commercial as they show a shinny new truck towing a shinny big boat. Informed decisions by research through multiple outlets is always the best decision.

vap0rtranz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I had hoped to be able to tow a 1 axle Lance trailer (akin to the marketing pics)... it looks as though Ford may be misrepresenting that true capability?
Hah, yea when I saw that marketing pic by Ford I kinda chuckled. The Lances aren't known for being light but great 4 season campers. They also have large capacities (holding tanks, generators, etc.)

Which model are you thinking? My friend tows a Lance with his Z71. I think they have a 1900 series. I'd considered the smallest 1475 but only with a 4k Tow.

Also, Lances aren't cheap. $40k ballpark.

I do agree with @medgar and am considering an EB for extra tow now that the EPA MPGs are better than expected. But I'm not convinced turbo'd engines w/ automatics would outlast a NA engine assisted by an electric motor with a geared CVT.

Sponsored

DucFae

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Maverick; Moto - Scrambler UE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So being new to trucks, this may be a dumb question but isn't payload the truck bed weight capability? If you're towing isn't that a different number? My bike (in avatar photo) is 800lbs wet, will I still be able to two it on a little aluminum trailer?

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So being new to trucks, this may be a dumb question but isn't payload the truck bed weight capability? If you're towing isn't that a different number? My bike (in avatar photo) is 800lbs wet, will I still be able to two it on a little aluminum trailer?
Ducface. I believe there is a site on Ford that will do the calculations for you but here is the equation for quick math.

GCWR=Curb weight of truck+ weight of what is in the truck (People, luggage etc) +tongue weight of trailer+object towing including trailer.

GCWR, Curb weight of base model can all be found on Ford Spec sheet. Curb weight is for a base model. If you start adding options curb weight of truck increases.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hah, yea when I saw that marketing pic by Ford I kinda chuckled. The Lances aren't known for being light but great 4 season campers. They also have large capacities (holding tanks, generators, etc.)

Which model are you thinking? My friend tows a Lance with his Z71. I think they have a 1900 series. I'd considered the smallest 1475 but only with a 4k Tow.

Also, Lances aren't cheap. $40k ballpark.

I do agree with @medgar and am considering an EB for extra tow now that the EPA MPGs are better than expected. But I'm not convinced turbo'd engines w/ automatics would outlast a NA engine assisted by an electric motor with a geared CVT.
I had considered the smallest 1475 and yes w a 4k Tow

notfast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Lux FFV
Engine
Undecided
So being new to trucks, this may be a dumb question but isn't payload the truck bed weight capability?
No, payload is the total amount of weight the vehicle can carry. Passengers, cargo, everything.

If you're towing isn't that a different number?
No, payload limits do not change if you're towing. But keep in mind that a trailer's tongue weight is subtracted from the tow vehicle's payload capacity.

My bike (in avatar photo) is 800lbs wet, will I still be able to two it on a little aluminum trailer?
Absolutely. Say the bike plus trailer is 1000lbs. Typically you want 10-15% tongue weight, so we'll just draw it at 12% or 120lbs. If you had the hybrid pictured above, that'd leave you with (1519-120) 1399lbs of payload left for yourself, your luggage, your gear in the bed, etc.

Payload is usually the lowest-common denominator when towing, and the reason why people have to step up to a larger tow vehicle. They simply run out of payload capacity before anything else such as GVWR, GCVWR, RAWR, etc.

When I see F-150s towing a 30' RV trailer and they have everything plus the kitchen sink in the bed and they have a cab full of passengers...I try to pass them as expeditiously as possible.

Typical F-150s crew cab 4x4s have a payload of 1,500lbs (convenient, huh?). Five 150lb people is 750lbs. If your 30' camper grosses at 7000lbs, that's 700lbs of tongue weight. Leaves you 50lbs for stuff in the bed.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
No. Im just starting to do the math now that some real numbers are out and trying to show others that are new to towing how the equation works. There has been a lot of questions and people pushing the tow limit number if they had no payload in the truck.

If you add a tank of gas around 100 pounds the trailer can be 1386 above. #150/person is very polite for society. Not near the 2,000 pounds Ford marketing shows. I wish the advertising was a little more real world but truth in advertising is an oxymoron.

I am between the 22 Nissan Frontier and 22 Maverick for our next adventure/play/work truck and want the Maverick numbers to work but the more that comes out the less it looks like it will happen. The final numbers are to close for my comfort to work especially living in the mountains.

Thanks for your insight.
Except if you get the 2.0 AWD 4k tow the GCWR is 8145 lb so that gives you much more space to pack/tow.

The hybrid and 2k towing is not really meant as a trip towing thing, more of a weekend to the lake and take the jet skis, small boat, etc... so then you're not packing for a weeklong family trip.
Sponsored